IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 2: Kaboom!

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Prepare yourself for a supreme test of reflexes, coordination, and agility. You're about to face the world's most unpredictable and relentless "Mad Bomber." He hates losing as much as you love winning. So, to keep him frowning, take a minute to read over these instructions. Then, grab your buckets and bomb away!

s_Kaboom_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Kaboom!
  • Released By: Atari, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Larger Buckets
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - You vs. the Mad Bomber
  • Chosen By: keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday September 17th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 100,719 (the 5th ghost) [+11]Kaboom.jpg[+2] 10k! [+3]
  2. 13,456 (Zoyx) [+10]Kaboom.jpg[+2] 10k! [+3]
  3. 11,953 (toymailman) [+9]Kaboom.jpg[+2] 10k! [+3]
  4. 10,704 (Deteacher) [+8]Kaboom.jpg[+2] 10k! [+3]
  5. 7176 (DarthCalvin) [+7]Kaboom.jpg[+2]
  6. 4692 (aftermac) [+6]Kaboom.jpg[+2]
  7. 4600 (darthkur) [+5]Kaboom.jpg[+2]
  8. 3331 (Spector) [+4]Kaboom.jpg[+2]
  9. 3137 (phaxda) [+3]Kaboom.jpg[+2]
  10. 3126 (jjd) [+2]Kaboom.jpg[+2]
  11. 2668 (SpiceWare) [+1]
  12. 1748 (maf) [+1]
  13. 957 (LoneWolfSeth) [+1]
  14. 561 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  15. 467 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  16. 324 (Impaler_26) [+1]

Best Tips
  • None!

Challenges
  • Patch Challenge - Bucket Brigade - Score 3000 points or higher and you get 2 bonus points!
  • Surprise the Mad Bomber - Score 10,000 points or higher, and you get 3 MORE bonus points! (Plus the 2 for the above challenge)

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 999,999 (Todd Rogers, Robert T Mruczek, Douglas C Korekach)
  2. 279,833 (Keith C Post)
  3. 170,867 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
(Game 1, Difficulty A)
Current Standings

1. DarthCalvin [11]
  2. darthkur [11]
  3. Deteacher [11]
  4. homerwannabee [11]
  5. SpiceWare [11]
  6. toymailman [11]
  7. Mister VCS [10]
  8. Impaler_26 [9]
  9. jjd [8]
  10. chuckwalla [7]
  11. maf [6]
  12. Kurt_Woloch [6]
  13. aftermac [5]
  14. LarcenTyler [3]
  15. LoneWolfSeth [2]

Scoring Points in Kaboom!
  • Each bomb caught is worth 1 point multiplied by the current level number, with a maximum of 8 points per bomb on every level after the eigth.
  • Every 1000 points, you gain a bucket (Maximum 3 buckets at a time).

Hints and Tips
  • You'll notice that you'll be improving in stages. The first plateau is the 1000 point mark. Mastery at Bomb Groups 5 and 6 is necessary to do well here. Conquering Bomb Group 7 will place you at the 2000 point level. As you develop the stamina and concentration needed to progress, you'll conquer Bomb Group 8. From then on, it's a matter of fine-tuning your skills and extending your endurance to improve your score.
  • Here's one special trick we have discovered to help build up your score while maintaining some control of the game. If you have all 3 buckets and you're just about to cross a 1000 point level (1000, 2000, 3000, etc.), miss one of the bombs on purpose! You will lose your bottom bucket, but you will start over at the next lower difficulty level. And that'll give you a few bombs to catch at a slower speed. Then, after you've gone over the 1000 point level, you will get your bucket back anyway, so you haven't lost a thing. Since you will be plahing for a while at a slower speed, it gives you a breather, but keeps you in the game.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints the manual provides:

--Zero

I do believe this is the first screenshot I've submitted to the 2600 HSC that I've played on an actual console. :)

I did use a different set of paddles (which seemed less resistant to turning) than I was using with Stella... I'll have to give this set a try and see if I can improve my score in emulation.

post-17553-1221238130_thumb.jpg

Sorry I missed last week, bummer. Wanted to get off on a good foot. 2,647. I would like to make 3k but I am not sure I can do it. Need to work on my 2-bucket technique.

This game is addictive as ever. I haven't played it seriously in a long time, though it is my default paddle-tester game.

post-6271-1221340784_thumb.jpg