IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 3: Ikari Warriors

Ze_ro

Now that's out of the way, here's my tip of the week. When I first reached the end of the first level with 5 lives intact, I saved the game. I then spent 2 days playing that saved game over and over and over starting at level 2 everytime. Now I am a LOT more comfortable with level 2. I've actually reached 39,500 but I loaded my save so it doesn't count. It is by far the best way to get used to level 2, it makes level 1 almost boring. This score is the highest score I reached from the beginning.

Isn't this method of training still an advantage that console players don't have?

I see your point. It's more of a time-saving thing. I could play level1 over and over like I was doing at first but I was tired of spending my entire evening off playing the same game. If ze_ro wants to just count my previous score instead of that one that's fine, I just didn't think it would be a problem as long as I was just practicing with it. If it's any consolation I can't seem to get past level 1 now with all 5 lives. Maybe I should have practiced it too. :)

Thanks! I still have tomorrow to find at least 1400 more points!! I think the key to Level 2 is patience (and getting lucky with the helicopters). When I got this score I was over 40k with 3 lives left then got pounded by a helicopter. Also, it would be nice to get through Level 2 to see if 3 is even harder, but that probably doesn't happen until ~48k.

You guys never cease to amaze me! Excellent scores :thumbsup:

Thanks Darth,

Yes, there is some luck with the helicopters. I've found you can't go the diagonal approach with them on level 2. you have to try to stay out of their diagonal path, fire a grenade straight up and hope they run into it. As Aftermac said earlier, the bad collision detection works to your favor...especially in this case.

@Deteacher: So do you agree their shots travel further diagonally on 2 or am I just crazy?

To be honest, I never really noticed. I'll have to try it and watch for that. Maybe the fact that the shots are travelling faster give it the illusion of them travelling farther, but it's possible, I suppose.

Edited by Deteacher

Personally, I am having a hard time deciding between Ikari Warriors or Frontline for this type of game. Commando is my least favorite among the three. Are there any others to compare to?

I've always been a big fan of Frontline. The 2600 version is all kinds of fun, especially with the simplified controls (over the arcade and ColecoVision versions, which I always felt were too complicated).

Games like this are actually well suited to the 2600, at least graphically... vertical scrolling only, small number of enemies on-screen at once, and the fact that most barriers are horizontal makes for convenient colour changes.

I saved the game. I then spent 2 days playing that saved game over and over and over starting at level 2 everytime.
Isn't this method of training still an advantage that console players don't have?

I see nothing wrong with it. Practice is your own business as long as actual entries are done fairly.

--Zero

I saved the game. I then spent 2 days playing that saved game over and over and over starting at level 2 everytime.

I see nothing wrong with it. Practice is your own business as long as actual entries are done fairly.

--Zero

Fair enough. I agree it's a great way to practice the game... and this method would count for TwinGalaxies assuming you then recorded the game from a console. But I thought it was worth getting clarification on for our purposes here in the HSC. Thanks, Zero!