IGNORED

river raid: atari 400 or intellivision?

atariaction

i sold this game on ebay: intellivision river raid. the buyer claims that it killed 2 of his intellivision II systems and now claims that it is not an intellivision game. please tell me what you know. i need some help here thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Not to be rude or anything but the cart obviously wasn't actually tested. I see that you deal in volume so I understand how difficult it might be to try out each individual game but when something is listed as " GUARANTEED TO WORK PERFECTLY OR YOUR MONEY BACK!", most people would naturally assume that the cartridge was indeed tested and found to be fully functional. I know this happens a lot with many sellers. I've bought a good amount of carts that have supposedly been tested only to find so much crud on the contacts that there is no way on earth that the game ever would have booted up on any system.

As for which system your game goes to I would have to say either the C=64 or A8, although with an alternate label. As mentioned above perhaps Australian. I can't seem to find an image of the C64 RR cart so I'm not positive if the label is like your or like the domestic A8 one. The only one I have found that where the label looks like the one in your auction is for the IBM PCjr. As seen in the picture below it's clearly not the same cart since they are shaped differently.

post-10357-1222985732_thumb.jpg

Edited by darthkur

Here is my Atari River Raid. It does not fit my Intellivision. Even if the cart is from Australia, I would think the shell would be the same. I do not think it is for the Atari 8bit line.

post-7833-1221789901_thumb.jpg

I concur with darthkur. Since you guaranteed it, there is an assumption of the correct version and that it was tested. Your question tells me that it was not tested and you were not 100% sure what system it was for. So, all your guarantee is good for is if the cart is bad a refund would be given. This is not good enough since I would assume that a correctly identified cart would not permenantly damage my system even if the cart was bad. Looks more like this Colecovision version, because of the Activision at the bottom of the cart. I thought the colecovision cart were big like 2600 carts so it may not be it.

Edited by Almost Rice

I'd guess Commodore 64. I had a cart recently that would not fit in my Intellivision and that's what it turned out to be. It was the right width but it was a tad too thick. Someone else mentioned that they had a C64 cart that did fit into their Intellivision, though it was a tight fit.

oh yes, i stand by my guarantee. i have told the buyer to return it for a full refund. but in no way does 100% guaranteed to work perfectly or your money back imply that the game was tested.

im just trying to figure out...

1. what system the game is for (which i have got confirmation that it is intellivision, especially since i got it with a bunch on intellivision games)

2. can a game kill a system by plugging it in? (im sure that is not possible)

1. what system the game is for (which i have got confirmation that it is intellivision, especially since i got it with a bunch on intellivision games)

Of course, it is possible to kill a system, if the cartridge has been modified, or damaged in some weird way to short a few of the contacts together that shouldn't be connected. It's just not likely.

Also, just because a game came with a bunch of other carts for that system doesn't mean they started out together, since it's been thirty years since they were originally sold at retail. They may have changed hands several times before you got them. I've often found colecovision games mixed in with atari games, for example (which are not compatible, but could possibly be forced into a slot if one was determined enough).

BUT, I would not expect a seller to guarantee I didn't do something stupid with something I bought, either, like insert an incompatible game into my system. My opinion is offering a refund is enough, even though they may have damaged their console. The buyer has to take SOME responsibility, after all...

oh yes, i stand by my guarantee. i have told the buyer to return it for a full refund. but in no way does 100% guaranteed to work perfectly or your money back imply that the game was tested.

im just trying to figure out...

I just looked at the C64 cartridge pinout. It has GND at all 4 corners. Intellivision puts +5v at one of the corners. (See bottom of second image below.) So, plugging in a C64 cart to an Intellivision would short +5 to ground and probably toast something in the power supply.

Cart_top.pngCart_bot.png

The Intellivision 2 doesn't have an on-off switch but rather some bizarre combo power/reset switch that's annoying as heck. It also requires holding the button down for 10 seconds (cleanly) to get it to shut off, so it's probably pretty easy to keep that power-ground short active for plenty long to fry it's power supply.

(Note: Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The C64 pinouts are numbered with 1 - 22 on one side, and A-Z on the other. This contrasts with the Intellivision, which numbers its pins 1 - 44, with odd on one side and even on the other. I note that 1, 22, A and Z on the C64 are tied to GND, which should correspond to Intellivision pins 1, 2, 43 and 44.)

Edited by intvnut

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest but "100% guaranteed to work perfectly" would imply to me as a buyer that you had some proof of it working in the first place. The only way for that to be true would be testing.

I'd suggest you reword that in future sales. IMHO, that wording is kind of deceptive whether you intended it to be or not.

Edited by joeybastard

While I agree that the auction stating "GAME IS GUARANTEED TO WORK PERFECTLY OR YOUR MONEY BACK!" does not indicate that it was ever tested, it could definately, and probably will almost always definately, be misunderstood as such. My question is, if someone buys a game from you and it doesn't work, do you refund the price of the game and the price of shipping and return shipping? You may want to preface that statement with "GAME WAS NOT TESTED, BUT I STAND BY WHAT I SELL, AND THE...(insert above statement). Are you responsible for the buyer's console, technically no as you didn't insert the game into his system and fry it, but since you sold it as an Intellivision cartridge, I'd say that you and the buyer are both at fault. Normally a game accidentally sold for use with one console, when in real life was made for another, wouldn't even be able to be inserted into the cartrdige slot. But if this is in fact the C64 version, and the cart shape and PCB edge connector are that similar in size to the INTV version, it's a very unfortunate coincidence.

Under the Uniform Commercial Code a seller who provides a full guaranty and does not disclaim implied warranties is deemed to assure, among other things, both descriptive accuracy of the sales offer and fitness of the item for the described purpose.

Your auction fails on this basis, apparently.

It was described as an I.V. game, but from the comparison above it sure looks like the C64 version to me.

While you offer a money back guaranty, if your purchaser decided to take you to court, he'd have a pretty good case for damages for the loss of at least the first system that cartridge broke. (His duty to mitigate damages would require that he not put a malfunctioning game in another system, you could argue).

If I had run that auction, I'd offer to acquire and provide that guy with a new Intellivision system.

Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Man,i didnt know inserting a c64 cart in an INTV would fry it!Thanx for the cautionary reminder!I'm not familiar with c64 stuff,i would've assumed a c64 cart was for the INTV,usually you find those games loose at the thrift shop or flea market.No problem when you buy the game sealed,cus it has "for intellivision" or whatever on box,so you know.But when buying supposedly sealed games from the thrift or whatever,thats no guarantee,the owner could've re-sealed the wrong game in box.This is a good reminder to know what you're plugging into your system.Its usually not a problem cus most consoles have their UNIQUE size and shape for their cart ports.Maybe Commodore made the c64 ports similar to the INTV'S on purpose to KILL the competition! :skull: :D

Edited by Rik

i sold this game on ebay: intellivision river raid. the buyer claims that it killed 2 of his intellivision II systems and now claims that it is not an intellivision game. please tell me what you know. i need some help here thanks

Not to be rude or anything but the cart obviously wasn't actually tested. I see that you deal in volume so I understand how difficult it might be to try out each individual game but when something is listed as " GUARANTEED TO WORK PERFECTLY OR YOUR MONEY BACK!", most people would naturally assume that the cartridge was indeed tested and found to be fully functional. I know this happens a lot with many sellers. I've bought a good amount of carts that have supposedly been tested only to find so much crud on the contacts that there is no way on earth that the game ever would have booted up on any system.

As for which system your game goes to I would have to say either the C=64 or A8, although with an alternate label. As mentioned above perhaps Australian. I can't seem to find an image of the C64 RR cart so I'm not positive if the label is like your or like the domestic A8 one. The only one I have found that where the label looks like the one in your auction is for the IBM PCjr. As seen in the picture below it's clearly not the same cart since they are shaped differently.

1059860065-00.jpg

Maybe you should've put that image in your post as an attachment before sharing it with us. ;)

hi me again

i gave the buyer a 100% refund (purchase price + shipping) (byuer paid for return shipping)

here are pics of the game. so is it intellivision or is it c64???

C64.

Has the C64 version of the label, and all C64 Activision cartridges have the product number series of "DC-xxx-04". Pitfall 2 for example is DC-007-04 (and not uncoincidentaly) is the first previous game to River Raid (DC-008-04).

1059860065-00.jpg

Maybe you should've put that image in your post as an attachment before sharing it with us. ;)

i had to wait till i got it back from the buyer before i could take those pics