• I'm really not that interesting

Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:45 AM

Cart. on the left!!

#227 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Tue Feb 8, 2011 3:11 PM

yea if this is ever anywhere on a cart put me down for two please :)

#228 toptenmaterial OFFLINE  

toptenmaterial

River Patroller

• 4,757 posts

Posted Tue Feb 8, 2011 4:47 PM

if I were a rich man, I would hire a programmer to make 2600 and 7800 NES and SNES ports. CV and Super Mario All-Stars are at the top of my imaginary invoice.

Edited by toptenmaterial, Tue Feb 8, 2011 4:48 PM.

#229 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,982 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Tue Feb 8, 2011 7:32 PM

If I were a rich man, I would hire a programmer . . .

If I were a rich man, I would hire a programmer to figuratively hold my hand and teach me one-on-one how to make Atari 2600 games using assembly language. Then I could make all kinds of cool stuff to help batari Basic users.

#230 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Quadrunner

• 12,547 posts

Posted Tue Feb 8, 2011 7:53 PM

#231 EVIL NOD OFFLINE  

EVIL NOD

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 AM

Just read the whole thread and this is just amazing you have spent a long time on this so i do hope you get it finished
cos you will have made one of the best 2600 games out there.keep up the good work :thumbsup: :)

#232 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• 2,436 posts
  • A ROM image is no way to live.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:53 PM

I have read most of this thread now, and will finish it after I get some rest (I'm a bit sick so reading this has made me light headed) however, I want a cart! So yeah, when it gets made (I'll take a positive approach to this and say "when" because it has to happen) I wants it!!!

I wish I had this level of programming knowledge, and one day I'll stop wish and start to study. Congrats on a great looking game so far.

#233 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:20 AM

Hello everyone, been a awhile I know. I've recently started a new lob and have gotten settled in rather well, I have a bit more free time lately so ive been able to spend more time back on this lately. I'm currently working on 2 things at the moment. I'm prototyping a text kernel for bB and getting back to my first roots of catlevania. I've made a few upgraded changes to the kernel layout and wanted to share a quick mock image. With this latest of changes, I am now going to release some working code soon to show the first level screens without the hud (as of yet). The changes proved necessary to recoup some of the RAM and seem to work out ok. Albeit the screens will now appear a bit more blocky than they were, they still have the level of detail I like and will feel right once sprites come into the mix. I hope everyone will be ok with the newer screen designs and I thank you for your patience in waiting so long for a demo bin. This will be the year for REAL progress.

castlevania 2600 pf layout 40 byte index.PNG

This image depicts the latest in a long line of kernel designs now only requires 40 bytes of RAM to render this screen or any other.

#234 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 PM

I did some basic calculations and worked it out where one single bank can carry so near every single image necessary for the whole game from beginning to end. And the engine is getting closer too.

The method I have followed in order to do this port is to rely on the existing game itself since it is what a good port needs to live up to. I played the damn hell out of it learning what to expect in each location just for this game port. I never once looked at its code. I then took record of the simple physics of what was happening throughout the game for every single event. This has been my planning stage for the bulk of the 'real' game itself (engine). This is simply basing everything in the port upon all the doable (on atari 2600) characteristics of the original game encompassing every one of the 6 levels. And then I coded out what happens for every event that happens. Then it was just a matter of connecting the loose ends of every event as coded in asm to each ones trigger and each event in the game to where it should continue when it has finished. I logically deduced The maximum the engine could produce based upon the maximum that could be done in a possible kernel while conserving for resources of the system. This process has made it to where the port will have near, I'd say about 88% to 92% of the original game intact.

The 2 main thing different are:
No III tile and no scroll at all.
Vertical scroll could change in the future but for simplicity's sake it will begin with full static imaging.

#235 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:13 AM

Who would like to try out the first test bin? Extra special thanks to SeaGtGruff. This bin only renders out one game screen. It has not HUD code (yet) and no ame sprites or controls. It doesn't exactly refect the original PNG images i've posted but thats because there are only 19 addresses across 5 pages oout of 256 possible scanline data being used to create the screen.

As you can see there are unavoidable color artifacts on the right hand side of the screen. This is a minor price to pay and IMO is easily overlooked. What do you guys think? More to come in time. I'm only posting the bin for feedback.
Attached File  castlevania_2600_2.2_kernel_test_rev.bin   4KB   175 downloads
castlevania_2600_2.2_kernel_test_rev.bin.png

#236 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,982 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:23 AM

As you can see there are unavoidable color artifacts on the right hand side of the screen. This is a minor price to pay and IMO is easily overlooked.

I didn't even notice it at first glance until you pointed it out. Doesn't bother me any. It's nice to see a working example instead of just screenshots. Every .bin file will bring the full game closer to reality.

#237 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Bit Player

• 5,192 posts

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:55 AM

Looks good! :thumbsup:

#238 lapetino OFFLINE  

lapetino

Dragonstomper

• 555 posts

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:17 AM

Excellent! So far, so good. This project is very exciting. Great work.

#239 SeaGtGruff OFFLINE  

SeaGtGruff

Quadrunner

• 5,566 posts

Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:23 PM

As you can see there are unavoidable color artifacts on the right hand side of the screen. This is a minor price to pay and IMO is easily overlooked.

I didn't even notice it at first glance until you pointed it out. Doesn't bother me any. It's nice to see a working example instead of just screenshots. Every .bin file will bring the full game closer to reality.

I agree that the artifacts are easily overlooked/ignored, and I told grafixbmp I didn't think anyone would mind. Then again, you know how 2600 gamers are... "What are those little black lines on the left side of the screen in Missile Command? Why couldn't Atari have gotten rid of them?" :D

As I told grafixbmp, there *is* a way he can get rid of those artifacts if anyone complains too loudly about them, but it would mean shaving 1 pixel off the left side of the screen, and 2 pixels off the right side (but 1 of those is the "artifact" pixel anyway, so really only 1 pixel off the right). Then those pesky 2600 gamers would probably be asking "Why do the leftmost and rightmost columns of the screen have 1 less pixel than the other columns?" ;)

Michael

PS -- Even though grafixbmp gave me "extra special thanks," he really did everything himself. About all I did was change his overscan and vertical blank loops so they use the timer.

#240 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 AM

Time for a minor/new update. I have added player 0 sprite capabilities to the kernel and everything with it seems to be working just fine. There are no controls at the moment since i'm just doing display testing. Things are very much alive just very slow moving. Once the program is expanded out to 32k, ram won't be so constrained and other features can be added. Inquries about source code i'll respond on a case by case basis.

Attached File  Castlevania 2600 kernel v2.5 new.bin   4KB   160 downloads

#241 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,996 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:16 AM

Very cool!

#242 Propane13 OFFLINE  

Propane13

Stargunner

• 1,649 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:59 AM

Screenshot? :)

I don't have access to an emulator at work.

-John

#243 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:08 AM

Here ya go. Castlevania 2600 kernel v2.5 new.bin.png

#244 Propane13 OFFLINE  

Propane13

Stargunner

• 1,649 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 AM

Looking good!

-John

#245 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,982 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:27 PM

You might end up needing to make his colors a little brighter so he'll stand more against the background.

#246 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:18 PM

I wasn't too sure on the colors either. I lightened most of them a shade or two and it does feel a bit more even. I'm considering having 2 main pallettes. one dark and one light. if the background color is light like the test screen then the light one will be used for 60Hz and and the dark one for 30Hz. If the background color is dark then they will be inverted. (dark 60Hz light 30Hz)

Attached Files

#247 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 PM

I got some advice from a friend of mine and came up with this color scheme. It appears to be a bit more balanced over the whole sprite and may just work at a 30Hz as well as the normal 60 so an extra palette may not be needed.

Attached File  Castlevania 2600 kernel v2.5 new3.bin   4KB   150 downloads

#248 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,982 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 PM

Stella won't let me compare them side by side without having a menu in the way, but from what I can see, he stood out more in your previous version. For example, his pants are so faded in the new version that they almost blend into the background.

#249 grafixbmp OFFLINE  

grafixbmp

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 684 posts

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:58 PM

Stella won't let me compare them side by side without having a menu in the way, but from what I can see, he stood out more in your previous version. For example, his pants are so faded in the new version that they almost blend into the background.

Are you running in emulation or an actual console? I created an image from emulator screen captures and placed all versions on simon side-by-side for comparison.

castlevania compare.PNG

#250 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,982 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:21 PM

For my eyes, I like the top half of the first guy, the pants of the second guy, and the boots of the first or third guy.

Edited by Random Terrain, Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users