IGNORED

Dragon's Lair Colecovision Prototype

retroillucid

• 1 year later...

I've recently got an ADAM and tested the CV Dragon's Lair Prototype

It works fine! :D

Now if I could pass the "Falling Platform" screen, I could see more... :|

I'm wondering how complete is the proto... :ponder:

I've been playing this via emulator for many months (dare I say years) now. You can't get past the falling disk screen. I think that is as far as anyone has made it. It just plays over and over again. As for the proto's completeness, that's all folks. Coleco never made it past that. I believe some of the level graphics are there, but you can't get to them.

I've recently got an ADAM and tested the CV Dragon's Lair Prototype

It works fine! :D

Now if I could pass the "Falling Platform" screen, I could see more... :|

I'm wondering how complete is the proto... :ponder:

I've been playing this via emulator for many months (dare I say years) now. You can't get past the falling disk screen. I think that is as far as anyone has made it. It just plays over and over again. As for the proto's completeness, that's all folks. Coleco never made it past that. I believe some of the level graphics are there, but you can get to them.

That's what I expected.... as Dragon's Lair was ported to ADAM ... like they did with Sword & Sorcerer (but I don't think they ever make it) ... only a CV demo was made

Some planned CV games were later planned to be release on the ADAM

• 4 weeks later...

so, if its just a partial, i'd still love to see the adam game ported to coleco cart somehow :)

As would I.

We have Super DK & Super DK Jr. on colecovision cartridge for play on the colecovision system. So we know this type of thing can be done. So let's do dragon's lair too.

Just analyze whatever is there on the incomplete or partial colecovision proto version of dragon's lair and then use it as a reference on how to arrange the remaining data on the adam's tape version and convert the files to rom format so that we can play it with a cart on a colecovision.

I don't know how to do this, but surely someone here does. Nothing is impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned this game on DDP and played it until the winning screen on my ADAM expansion module. I found the DDP and the ADAM unit in a San Diego thrift store. The game was fantastic and yes, it seems like it was done by the same programmer(s) who did Tarzan. It was fun to watch the high-speed DDP load, and I actually rather liked the technology, albeit ultimately flawed and buggy.

You can jump off the falling disc. If I remember right, you have to push left so Dirk goes through the door, say 7 floors down or so. Then you wind up in more of a first-person view, and you have to make it across this dark chamber area while (I think) rats or skulls are trying to get you. Then there is the checkerboard room and the falling platform again in some order. The last screen where you save Princess Daphne and slay the Dragon has awesome graphics. I really enjoyed playing the game, but me being a completist, I sold the ADAM and all my DDPs after plenty of classic gaming enjoyment. I retain the .DDP (ROM) file in hopes that it can be played amidst the many new hardware developments that are coming out today.

You can jump off the falling disc. If I remember right, you have to push left so Dirk goes through the door, say 7 floors down or so. Then you wind up in more of a first-person view, and you have to make it across this dark chamber area while (I think) rats or skulls are trying to get you. Then there is the checkerboard room and the falling platform again in some order. The last screen where you save Princess Daphne and slay the Dragon has awesome graphics.

You forgot the burning ropes room, the weapons room, the high ramps (with the roaming Giddy Goons) and the tentacle room. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

You're right pixel… pulling from memory on the fly. Thanks for refreshing my memory about the ropes over the fire. The other two aren't jogging my memory from those descriptions, but gosh I loved that game, and it was kind of exciting waiting for the next screen to load!

This is why God invented YouTube. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSinFyg6Y5Q

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Goldenegg,I subscribed after watching your video and then watched the rest very well done. I like the comparisons with different systems, would be nice to get more systems in it. Like the Burger Time one not having the Intellivision or Colecovision version although you did mention them. :)

Goldenegg, that is a very well-done review! I enjoyed watching that. I've never seen the ZX Spectrum or C64 ports... I'm guessing that it was the Coleco developer who wrote this game for the ADAM? Wish we knew who that was.

Goldenegg,I subscribed after watching your video and then watched the rest very well done. I like the comparisons with different systems, would be nice to get more systems in it. Like the Burger Time one not having the Intellivision or Colecovision version although you did mention them. :)

Thanks for the kind words!

The problem with fitting in more systems is the YouTube time limit. That's actually what's delaying my next video, as I'm trying to show all 7 ports for the next game I'm reviewing. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving back home to Canada from Hong Kong, so I won't have time to re-edit for another week or so. Once I'm back home, I'll have more videos on a regular basis.

Barely related, but I just picket up Dragon's Lair 3D for game cube, and been playing it on the Wii. Its gameplay is pretty good with an interesting way that some original game's scenes are re-done in 3d. The Lizard King part was the most faithful expanded scene to me so far.

I have never had access to any coleco hardware, but it would be cool to pick one up just for Dragon's lair.