IGNORED

Super Sprint - Season 4 Week 11

vdub_bobby

Enough shooting already - let's burn rubber! Yes, it's time to play Super Sprint!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point. No continues - only games played from the beginning count!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

This week's competition ends in a week on Thursday (October 16th) at approximately noon PST.

This week's scores:

159,600 shadow460 (+10 pts + 1 pt for best tips)

105,300 LarcenTyler (+8 pts)

56,950 darthkur (+6 pts)

40,050 Wickeycolumbus (+4 pts)

32,700 ratfink (+2 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

483,450 Terence O'Neill

322,800 Dick Moreland

255,900 Justin Lee

173,150 Jeremy W Johnson

56,750 Mr. Kelly R. Flewin

Standings

1. darkthur (75 pts)

2. Wickeycolumbus (56 pts)

3. LarcenTyler (41 pts)

4. vdub_bobby (34 pts)

5. aikainnet (20 pts)

6. RJ (14 pts)

7. atari2600land (10 pts)

8. Atari5200 (8 pts)

9. Shannon (4 pts)

9. Jibbajaba (4 pts)

9. gdement (4 pts)

Game Info

Coin-op released in 1986 by Atari, ported to the NES in 1989 by Tengen.

Other platforms: Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum

Prequels/sequels/spinoffs: Some possibly (?) prequels in Kee Games' Sprint 1 and Sprint 2, Atari's Sprint 4 and Sprint 8, and a update/sequel from Atari in 1986, Championship Sprint. On the home front, 1987 saw Championship Sprint come to the C64 and the Spectrum and 2005 saw a port to the GBA in a Spy Hunter / Super Sprint combination.

Tips

shadow460:

Get a couple sets of tires first, then a upgrade your acceleration a little. This helps you cut the distance you travel around corners and helps you back to max speed on the straights. After that, you will probably need higher top speed once as the computer cars get faster. Once you have that, max the tires then the acceleration, buying top speed only as you need it. For CS, we saved Fast Chopper for last, but it's not in here anyway.

If you've got a good lead, don't hesitate to circle around barriers the wrong way for wrenches, or to go back a little. This trick from Super Off Road seems to work fairly well here, too.

Try not to hit other cars in the intersections.

Seems like that sixth track is the hardest. It's easy to lose on the next one, too, since traction is so important on track 6, yet the computer cars are blazingly fast on the next track. I'd say right after track 6 is the ideal time to upgrade you speed for the first time.
Edited by vdub_bobby

Here's an upgrade list some friends and I worked out for Championship Sprint:

Get a couple sets of tires first, then a upgrade your acceleration a little. This helps you cut the distance you travel around corners and helps you back to max speed on the straights. After that, you will probably need higher top speed once as the computer cars get faster. Once you have that, max the tires then the acceleration, buying top speed only as you need it. For CS, we saved Fast Chopper for last, but it's not in here anyway.

If you've got a good lead, don't hesitate to circle around barriers the wrong way for wrenches, or to go back a little. This trick from Super Off Road seems to work fairly well here, too.

Try not to hit other cars in the intersections.

I'll try to get in some play time, but right now it's time for the ball game.

Seems like that sixth track is the hardest. It's easy to lose on the next one, too, since traction is so important on track 6, yet the computer cars are blazingly fast on the next track. I'd say right after track 6 is the ideal time to upgrade you speed for the first time. More scores coming later... :D

forgot to play this, dangit. I did play one game, didn't do very well and didn't see any way to upgrade the car. Maybe I just sucked that bad? I made it to the 2nd stage but never got an upgrade option.

I believe to get the upgrade options you have to collect wrenches during the race.