IGNORED

KC Munchkin on 2600

atari2600land

I'd like to see it, who else would? I worked on a proof-of-concept using bB, but can it be done in ASM?

KC should stop moving in the middle of a 'square' when the joystick isn't being pushed. It doesn't keep going the way Pac-Man does.

Beyond that, KC Munchkin really isn't a good fit for the 2600. The game was designed for the Odyssey which has four sprites that can show arbitrary shapes, twelve sprites that are limited to 64 predefined shapes, and four 'tethered' groups of four sprites each (the four sprites in each group each have an independently-selectable predefined shape and color). Twelve predefined-shape sprites. Twelve dots. Amazing coincidence, that.

The 2600 would have a hard time showing sixteen independently mobile objects (twelve dots and four shape sprites) without motion constraints to prevent vertical overlap. It might be possible to make it work (see Lock and Chase) but better game concepts would be more worthwhile.

I'd like to see it, who else would? I worked on a proof-of-concept using bB, but can it be done in ASM?

KC should stop moving in the middle of a 'square' when the joystick isn't being pushed. It doesn't keep going the way Pac-Man does.

Beyond that, KC Munchkin really isn't a good fit for the 2600. The game was designed for the Odyssey which has four sprites that can show arbitrary shapes, twelve sprites that are limited to 64 predefined shapes, and four 'tethered' groups of four sprites each (the four sprites in each group each have an independently-selectable predefined shape and color). Twelve predefined-shape sprites. Twelve dots. Amazing coincidence, that.

The 2600 would have a hard time showing sixteen independently mobile objects (twelve dots and four shape sprites) without motion constraints to prevent vertical overlap. It might be possible to make it work (see Lock and Chase) but better game concepts would be more worthwhile.

Thank you for the technical info. I didn't realize that the dots were moving when I played it on O2EM. Could it be even more possible if the dots were to stay still?

Hey Guys!

I actually was going to attempt this at one point, all with 30HZ flicker:

Player 0 for KC and 1 monster

Player 1 for the other 2 monsters

Missile0 for 4 dots, either intelligent flicker or logic to keep two of the dots away from the other two (thereby staying with the 30HZ flicker)

Missile1 for the other 4 dots, same rules as above

Ball for the 4 'energizers'. Again, same rules as above.

I know about the colors between Missile 0 and Player 0 needing to be the same (and the same goes for Missile 1 and Player 1), but to me that was not a big deal. I stopped working on it because I started working on the 7800 (which was easier for me).

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Thank you for the technical info. I didn't realize that the dots were moving when I played it on O2EM. Could it be even more possible if the dots were to stay still?

The moving Munchies are one the most important gameplay elements.