IGNORED

KICKTOS: Kickstart disk for the Amiga 1000 with Atari TOS

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2008-10-00067-EN.html

KICKTOS: Kickstart disk for the Amiga 1000 with Atari TOS

Andre Pfeiffer wrote: In contrast to all other available Atari-ST-emulators KICKTOS boots a TOS (V1.02) to the original memory address where.

Because it hast only a size of 192 KB it was possible to set all Amiga specific special routines in the memory behind the TOS. The Amiga-1000-WOM has 256 KB;. Therefore for the Amiga specific routines 64 KB remains.

With the Amiga hardware the TOS is safe from destroying by overwriting and the whole normal memory remains for the applications.

The current version is only a technology demo because some adaptions of the memory management and keyboard requests must be improved.

A special thank to Toni Wilen who helped me with the peculiarities of the 68000. I only had to write KICKTOS 20 years ago... (snx) (Translation: dr)

LOL

Now I found a use for all those A1000's in the corner...

For running SAMPLE.PRG and clip art slide shows...

What was that booting from? a 1541 drive?

I got a sandwich and took a nap while it was loading...

+1 for the good effort tho...

Fuji-Man

They decided they wanted a proper OS? :P

• 1 month later...

For those who don't know...

ST emulators have been out since the late 80s for the AMIGA.. What it amounts to is about a 16k program... Plus the TOS image.. In fact, since standard density AMIGA floppies are capable of holding over 900k of data, its quite easy to throw TOS and the emulator on a single bootable floppy. The same is true for Macintosh emulators, and this has been done many many times. But these emulators were launched from AMIGA OS, contained in system memory, vulnerable to memory corruption, and did not survive low-level warm reboots (for example if the system crashed).

What's innovative about KickTOS is that its on an A1000 Kickstart disk.

The A1000 would normally boot it's "kickstart" from a special kickstart disk. This is the portion of the OS that is normally in ROM on other AMIGAs. The "kickstart" is stored in a dedicated (256k) section of memeory on the A1000 that is separate from its normal RAM. This is sometimes referred to as the WOM.. Many people installed upgrade kits that replaced the WOM with a normal Kickstart ROM to avoid having to insert the Kickstart disk every time they cold-started the machine.

What this amounts to is that now, when you turn on your A1000, you can either insert the AMIGA Kickstart disk, and it will load its normal AMIGA rom image, and act like a normal A1000, or you can insert the KickTOS disk, in which case it loads TOS v1.02 plus the ST emulation code into WOM (which effectively becomes the machines hard-mapped ROM) and youve got something resembling an ST. Since the emulator and TOS are contained in the WOM, which is treated as ROM by the hardware, the emulator should survive even the lowest level warm reboot.

• 2 months later...

ST emulators have been out since the late 80s for the AMIGA.. What it amounts to is about a 16k program... Plus the TOS image.. In fact, since standard density AMIGA floppies are capable of holding over 900k of data, its quite easy to throw TOS and the emulator on a single bootable floppy. The same is true for Macintosh emulators, and this has been done many many times. But these emulators were launched from AMIGA OS, contained in system memory, vulnerable to memory corruption, and did not survive low-level warm reboots (for example if the system crashed).

The A1000 would normally boot it's "kickstart" from a special kickstart disk. This is the portion of the OS that is normally in ROM on other AMIGAs. The "kickstart" is stored in a dedicated (256k) section of memeory on the A1000 that is separate from its normal RAM. This is sometimes referred to as the WOM.. Many people installed upgrade kits that replaced the WOM with a normal Kickstart ROM to avoid having to insert the Kickstart disk every time they cold-started the machine.

What this amounts to is that now, when you turn on your A1000, you can either insert the AMIGA Kickstart disk, and it will load its normal AMIGA rom image, and act like a normal A1000, or you can insert the KickTOS disk, in which case it loads TOS v1.02 plus the ST emulation code into WOM (which effectively becomes the machines hard-mapped ROM) and youve got something resembling an ST. Since the emulator and TOS are contained in the WOM, which is treated as ROM by the hardware, the emulator should survive even the lowest level warm reboot.

I can confirm that! I have never had to reload Kickstart more than once per power on in 25 years of A1000 ownership :)

It works perfectly and when Kickstart 2.0 came out the silly A500 owners who laughed at us A1000 owners with our boot roms on disk stopped laughing ;) They needed to buy a new £40 ROM so where not very happy as they either had to open up their machine and fit a ROm switcher (games compatibility) OR lose 256k of their RAM and reboot a different kickstart with each reset using a kickstart loader (me? I just got a custom Kickstart 2 disk from Commodore for a few $)

Jay Miner and co. got the Kickstart disk/W.O.M. idea spot on :)

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that! I have never had to reload Kickstart more than once per power on in 25 years of A1000 ownership :)

It works perfectly and when Kickstart 2.0 came out the silly A500 owners who laughed at us A1000 owners with our boot roms on disk stopped laughing ;) They needed to buy a new £40 ROM so where not very happy as they either had to open up their machine and fit a ROm switcher (games compatibility) OR lose 256k of their RAM and reboot a different kickstart with each reset using a kickstart loader (me? I just got a custom Kickstart 2 disk from Commodore for a few $)

I call BS! There was no 2.0 kickstart disk for the A1000, as the WOM was only 256k. Kickstarts 2.0 and higher were all 512k.

You could however softkick which is what I did. I had (still have actually) an Amiga 1000 with 2.5MB of RAM and an autobooting SCSI controller and I could boot it straight (no user interaction required) to WB2. It's a little silly but I do love the keyboard on the A1000 and wasn't willing to give it up.

I call BS! There was no 2.0 kickstart disk for the A1000, as the WOM was only 256k. Kickstarts 2.0 and higher were all 512k.

I use a KS 2.0 in my 1000. does it matter if Im running 6megs on mine?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with that TOS in the A1000's WOM a little bit. Fascinating program, but I have nothing else ST wise to try out. Very cool that the ST's desktop stays, even after a warm boot! Has anyone used their A1000 to do anything productive ST wise? Games? Apps?

You could however softkick which is what I did. I had (still have actually) an Amiga 1000 with 2.5MB of RAM and an autobooting SCSI controller and I could boot it straight (no user interaction required) to WB2. It's a little silly but I do love the keyboard on the A1000 and wasn't willing to give it up.

I always did too - that keyboard "well" was a killer concept.