IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 9: Boxing

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Lace up your gloves and get your mouthpiece. It's time to step into the ring and get ready to take on your opponent. He stares at you from across the ring, his fists clenched and a look in his eye that tells you he's not holding anything back. But you simply stare back showing no fear whatsoever. The opening bell sounds, signalling it's time for some Boxing!

(Thanks to LarcenTyler for the intro!)

Note - Scores will be arranged by fastest KO, and then by score differential.

s_Boxing_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Boxing
  • Released By: Activision, 1980
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert
  • Right Difficulty: A / Expert
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: DarthCalvin

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday November 5th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. KO-0, 1:42 remaining (Spector) [+11]
  2. KO-0, 1:31 remaining (jjd) [+10]
    KO-0, 1:31 remaining (toymailman) [+9]
  3. KO-12, 1:26 remaining (iangamer) [+8]
  4. KO-12, 1:25 remaining (aftermac) [+7]
  5. KO-7, 1:24 remaining (Deteacher) [+6]
  6. KO-8, 1:21 remaining (Nathan Strum) [+5]
  7. KO-9, 1:20 remaining (Omegamatrix) [+4]
  8. KO-11, 1:15 remaining (Mister VCS) [+3]
  9. KO-14, 1:15 remaining (Hornpipe2) [+2]
  10. KO-16, 1:15 remaining (midnight magicman) [+1]
  11. KO-8, 1:13 remaining (darthkur) [+1]
  12. KO-22, 1:03 remaining (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  13. KO-35, 0:41 remaining (ClassicGMR) [+1]
  14. KO-38, 0:28 remaining (SpiceWare) [+1]
  15. KO-47, 0:24 remaining (DarthCalvin) [+1]
  16. KO-79, 0:10 remaining (LoneWolfSeth) [+1]
  17. KO-88, 0:02 remaining (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Hornpipe2 [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1:42 remaining (Douglas C Korekach)
  2. 1:36 (Todd Rogers)
  3. 1:30 (Alan W Hewston)
(Game 3, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [84]
  2. DarthCalvin [81]
  3. Deteacher [81]
  4. darthkur [61]
  5. the 5th ghost [47]
  6. SpiceWare [46]
  7. aftermac [44]
  8. jjd [35]
  9. Hornpipe2 [34]
  10. Kurt_Woloch [23]
  11. Impaler_26 [22]
  12. Nathan Strum [22]
  13. Zoyx [22]
  14. Mister VCS [15]
  15. homerwannabee [11]
  16. LarcenTyler [10]
  17. maf [9]
  18. missioncontrol [8]
  19. Random Terrain [8]
  20. SeaGtGruff [8]
  21. chuckwalla [7]
  22. LS_Dracon [7]
  23. LoneWolfSeth [7]
  24. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  25. midnight magicman [6]
  26. Spector [6]
  27. phaxda [5]
  28. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  29. shadow460 [3]
  30. Omegamatrix [3]
  31. ClassicGMR [2]
  32. ratfink [2]
  33. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Boxing
  • When you get near enough to your opponent to throw a punch, press the red button. Each punch moves your opponent slightly back and away from the punch. If you move him to the ropes, he can't easily duck the next punch, and you can set up a real scoring barrage. But don't get caughton the ropes yourself!
  • Watch your distance. If you move in too close, the computer gets tougher; but if you're too far away, you can't land scoring punches.

Hints and Tips
  • You'll find that the way to win at Boxing it to hit and dance, hit and dance (just like the pros). Draw off your opponent's jabs by making him punch while you're dancing quickly out of his reach. And watch out! When he gets behind, he gets better. But hang in there is you get behind; after the first minute (of each two-minute bout), the computer gets a little tired, and his reactions slow down. Come on strong at the end of the round and you might still catch him. By the way, I shortened the rounds to 2 minutes because... well, you'll see why when you've gone a couple rounds.
  • Your best strategy for winning is to jab your opponent until you move him to the ropes, then charge in, mit it up in close, and keep your red button pressed down. You may be able to repeat a punching combination that builds up your point score fast.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a text copy and a scanned copy of it available online. Here are the hints it provides (See the manual itself for more details):
Deteacher
Don't force yourself onto your opponent. If you're glove to glove, let him move up or down to you. Once his nose in lined up with your glove, let him have it. You'll have him up against the ropes in no time. Then it's just a matter of timing your punches and you'll have that KO in no time!
Nathan Strum
As soon as you come out, you can head over and punch him before he does anything. A few of those, and he's on the ropes right away. One game I had him at 30-0 before he even threw a punch.

--Zero

I got a lucky string of punches when he was against the ropes. Can someone explain how you score double points for punches sometimes?

EDIT: I got an 85-hit combo that time - he escaped at 92 and it cost me another 15 seconds to chase him down : )

post-12384-1225314961_thumb.png

Edited by Hornpipe2

Good score. KO in :58 is fast.

I think the score is based on the distance from the other boxer. Long jabs are 1 pt and close in is 2 pts.

Here's my first attempt:

0:29

EDIT: Slight improvement

0:40

post-19381-1225310119_thumb.png

Edited by jjd

0:54

That's a great time Hornpipe!

I almost commented that we didn't play this all that long ago... then I realized that was for the Atarilympics. :dunce:

I'm going out of town from 10/31 until 11/10, so I'll (probably) miss most of the next two weeks. My wife and I are driving from Detroit to Orlando, Florida and back. I haven't missed a week since I started, so I'm hoping to get a score in for next week, but if I don't it would be great if Deteacher or Toymailman could fill in for me! ;)

post-17553-1225318620_thumb.png

Edited by aftermac

0:24

post-9504-1225318986_thumb.jpg

Looks like I need more practice

I can't speak for everyone else, but Boxing was one of my first 4 Atari games some 20 years ago (along with Super Baseball, Donkey Kong, and River Raid), so needless to say I played it quite a lot. :)

It was one of my originals as well, had the same cart for 20 years. Problem is, it got a lot more playtime back when I only had a few others, now it only makes it's way out occasionally and I'm not as good at it as I used to be. The reason I picked this one was to kinda force myself to get that good again because I'm tired of my friends actually beating me now.

Had to do a little cutting and pasting, but here's my first effort. I was able to get the Activision Champion (played by the Activision Computer) up against the ropes, and before he knew what happened, I was unloading on him, and then the fight was stopped at 1:03 with a victory by KO awarded to yours truly! :D

(In the description for this game, they say you punch your opponent's nose. Ouch. Apparently, though, that's the detection spot. I always thought of them as just punching each other in general areas you just couldn't see them. Either way, though, *holds his nose at the thought of that*)

post-1653-1225340044_thumb.jpg

KO-17: 1:15 remaining.

My tip for the week: Don't force yourself onto your opponent. If you're glove to glove, let him move up or down to you. Once his nose in lined up with your glove, let him have it. You'll have him up against the ropes in no time. Then it's just a matter of timing your punches and you'll have that KO in no time!

post-9712-1225405659_thumb.jpg

Gettin' better (or rather, luckier). It's a little like Ice Hockey, in that some times the opponent is just harder than other times. If you play enough, you'll happen to get lucky, and you can just stand there and paste the guy.

It's actually rather cathartic. ;)

My one tip is that as soon as you come out, you can head over and punch him before he does anything. A few of those, and he's on the ropes right away. One game I had him at 30-0 before he even threw a punch.

KO - 21

1:14

post-2641-1225411842_thumb.png