IGNORED

5200 Robotron vs. 7800 version.

CV Gus

• 2 months later...

I like both version's of Robotron. But i do miss the color green on the 5200 version. It took me awhile not seeing the Hulks green.

I'm so used to playing the 7800 version of Robotron.

I have one question, can the 5200 version of Robotron be played with one controller or just two controllers. The 7800 version can be played using one or two controllers.

The first time i played the 5200 version on a emulator i couldn't shoot. I had to set the joystick input for controller two to use the arrow keys to fire. I'm using this same setup to play the 7800 version of Robotron.

I can't wait till we play Robotron in the 5200 HSC. Should be alot of fun.

Comparing the 2 versions of Robotron on the 5200 and 7800 are sort of like comparing Kaboom! from the 2600 to the 5200. Graphically there's little difference, and only if you are extremely picky do you even care that there even is any difference. The control though is where the hugely noticeable difference is. ONLY a die-hard, my fave system can do no wrong 5200 fan could say Kaboom is great better tolerable playable with the 5200 sticks. And I'm as big a 5200 fan as there is, but those sticks just suck for Kaboom. The same could be said for 7800 Robotron. even IF there were a coupler (and of course there's not so right there it gets a D- grade!) those sticks are so annoyingly stiff its like trying to wrap your arms around an oak tree trunk and move it around. Sure that's fine for some games but certainly not Robotron.

That said the 7800 version is a decent port but nowhere in the same league as the 5200 version IMHO. The 5200 version is one of those games I'd tell someone is reason alone to buy the system. IMHO it's one of the best of any of the arcade ports of the era. It's just that good a game. :thumbsup:

Edited by jetset

Not wanting to trust my memory, I just fired up both versions of Robotron (and the arcade version for good measure). The 7800 version, compared to the 5200 version, is more colorful, has faster and smoother animation, more enemies on screen, more arcade-authentic sprites, and, surprisingly, even has better sound effects. The 5200 version has... ummm... the line around the playfield.

So by praising the 5200 version as "one of the best of any of the arcade ports of the era", while dismissing the 7800 version as "a decent port", you are manifesting classic delusional fanboyism.

post-2663-1235356193_thumb.png

Not wanting to trust my memory, I just fired up both versions of Robotron (and the arcade version for good measure). The 7800 version, compared to the 5200 version, is more colorful, has faster and smoother animation, more enemies on screen, more arcade-authentic sprites, and, surprisingly, even has better sound effects. The 5200 version has... ummm... the line around the playfield.

So by praising the 5200 version as "one of the best of any of the arcade ports of the era", while dismissing the 7800 version as "a decent port", you are manifesting classic delusional fanboyism.

I prefer the 7800 version, but found myself enjoying the 5200 one with the dual coupler holder. It is okay, but I the 5200 version has so many other good ports to choose from. To me the 7800 version is miles better.

'Tis your opinion. I'd say though if there's any "dellusional fanboyism" certainly, it's on your part. Not surprising though, you tend to bash the 5200 when these comparisons come up, and as usual the sarcasm falls flat. I appreciate the still photo though. It pretty much proves how little difference there is graphically.

As well those screenshots look like emulators not the real hardware. Am I wrong? Kinda seems daffy to compare using a PC rather than the real thing and make a judgement based on that. :roll:

Anyone play the "Challenge" level on the 7800 version where you get only 1 life?

All the time. Still trying to get to 100,000.

Assuming the 8bit version plays the same as the 5200. To chime in on the 5200 vs 7800 debate. I do not care too much on the differences in look, but how much fun it is to play. I played the 8bit version back in the 80s and only got the 7800 version since 2005. Now I played both again I prefer the 7800. I use a dual wico arcade panel for both so controller differences are not a factor. The 8bit version is more jumpy. I just like to play the 7800 version more.

Edited by Almost Rice

'Tis your opinion. I'd say though if there's any "dellusional fanboyism" certainly, it's on your part. Not surprising though, you tend to bash the 5200 when these comparisons come up, and as usual the sarcasm falls flat. I appreciate the still photo though. It pretty much proves how little difference there is graphically.

As well those screenshots look like emulators not the real hardware. Am I wrong? Kinda seems daffy to compare using a PC rather than the real thing and make a judgement based on that. :roll:

Let's see--

1. It is fact, not opinion, that the 7800 version is faster, smoother, more colorful, and more arcade-faithful than the 5200 version.

2. Acknowledging superiority is not bashing.

3. When it comes to 5200 vs 7800 versions of games, I acknowledge the superiority of whichever version is better. Go on, ask me about 5200 Centipede.

4. "Sarcasm" is when you say the opposite of what you mean. Nowhere in this thread have I done that.

5. The screenshots clearly illustrate that the 5200 version has far fewer colors and less-accurately converted sprites (and an inexplicably huge player character).

6. Why yes, those screenshots were taken from emulators.

7. No, there is absolutely nothing "daffy" about using an accurate emulator to form an opinion about a game. The playable result is identical either way.

So by my calculations, your last post was 85% wrong. Please try to improve on this in the future.

Let's see--

1. It is fact, not opinion, that the 7800 version is faster, smoother, more colorful, and more arcade-faithful than the 5200 version.

3. When it comes to 5200 vs 7800 versions of games, I acknowledge the superiority of whichever version is better. Go on, ask me about 5200 Centipede.

4. "Sarcasm" is when you say the opposite of what you mean. Nowhere in this thread have I done that.

5. The screenshots clearly illustrate that the 5200 version has far fewer colors and less-accurately converted sprites (and an inexplicably huge player character).

7. No, there is absolutely nothing "daffy" about using an accurate emulator to form an opinion about a game. The playable result is identical either way.

So by my calculations, your last post was 85% wrong. Please try to improve on this in the future.

:rolling:

Wow dude. Do you actually believe what you post?

Lets see....

1) Nope. Opinion. Plain and simple. Not even close to fact. Ever so slightly faster and smoother yes. More colorful and arcade faithful? LOL. Nope. Way off.

2) Since there's no superiority other than in your head, getting this intense over it (as you clearly are) is bashing

3) See above. It's in your head. But ok, I'll bite on Centipede...oh wait no I don't really care what you think of centipede. Nevermind.

4) Try dictionary.com since you don't know the definition of sarcasm. There are several. One of them is "harsh or bitter derision" which calling someone a delusional fanboy is just that. It's also a "a sharply ironical taunt" Sharply ironic that you should be so biased when you aren't even playing on the real hardware.

5) The screenshots actually show very little difference. Yes, the 7800 does look *slightly* better. And, I don't give a crap about sprites. All I llook at is how they appear to my eye. At that, the difference is minor. As I mentioned, you proved my point 100%. Thanks again!

6) I thought as well.

7) Uh...ok. Do you need help with the definition of "emulate"? Or, are you from the camp that believes it is 100% exact to the original system?

Sounds like you also need some help with mathematics. Since you were disagreeing with MY opinion you could say my post was 100% wrong. That's certainly what I say of yours.

100% wrong.

And I'm sure you will once again have an equally witty sarcastic purely opinionated reply. You won't change the facts. (I love this whole numbering thing BTW)

1) 5200 Robotron is better IMO

2) 7800 Robotron is better IYO

3) Nothing you posted was even remotely close to disproving the reasons for mine, in fact you only strengthened my argument.

Let's see--

you've got great points. however, being a longtime arcade fan of the original robotron in the arcade, having owning the 5200, robotron, and the coupler at home back in the day was amazing and was actually ground breaking.

i owned the 7800 3-4 years later and bought robotron and was a bit disappointed that it was actually a turn off that the controllers made the 7800 didn't feel like the arcade.

i still own both systems since the 80's and enjoy both systems but the 5200 robotron is just more fun and feels more like the arcade. yes the graphics look better on the 7800 but the 5200 will always be superior in terms of feel and gameplay to me. people can put up pics, emulators, whatever but the fact of the matter is that i've owned both these systems of robotron for over 20 years and my opinion hasn't changed.

considering how much of an improvement the 7800 was supposed to be over the 5200, atari failed big time in utilizing the 7800. to make matters worse, they made the same mistake again with jag.

Let's see--

you've got great points. however, being a longtime arcade fan of the original robotron in the arcade, having owning the 5200, robotron, and the coupler at home back in the day was amazing and was actually ground breaking.

i owned the 7800 3-4 years later and bought robotron and was a bit disappointed that it was actually a turn off that the controllers made the 7800 didn't feel like the arcade.

i still own both systems since the 80's and enjoy both systems but the 5200 robotron is just more fun and feels more like the arcade. yes the graphics look better on the 7800 but the 5200 will always be superior in terms of feel and gameplay to me. people can put up pics, emulators, whatever but the fact of the matter is that i've owned both these systems of robotron for over 20 years and my opinion hasn't changed.

considering how much of an improvement the 7800 was supposed to be over the 5200, atari failed big time in utilizing the 7800. to make matters worse, they made the same mistake again with jag.

That's always been my problem with the 7800. While most games on the 5200 are vastly superior to their 2600 counterparts (except Activision games) the same can't be said about 7800 games compared to 5200 games. While I prefer 5200 Robotron over the 7800 Robotron, the fact is we are talking about minute differences. For a next generation console the 7800 fell flat to me in comparison to the 5200. Just my 2 cents worth....

Sure... I'll throw in my $0.02. I'll first qualify my post by saying I've never played the 5200 version. However, from what I've gathered by reading this post, the 5200 does not display as many enemies/sprites on the screen as the 7800 and arcade versions. And, what the 5200 does display is choppier than the 7800. These are facts, and make the 7800 better and more accurate in those areas.

IMO the 7800 port is more graphically correct. Especially, the "*".

So, the biggest problem with the 7800 port is the Proline controllers, which can be resolved by using different controllers.

Sure... I'll throw in my $0.02. I'll first qualify my post by saying I've never played the 5200 version. However, from what I've gathered by reading this post, the 5200 does not display as many enemies/sprites on the screen as the 7800 and arcade versions. And, what the 5200 does display is choppier than the 7800. These are facts, and make the 7800 better and more accurate in those areas.

So, the biggest problem with the 7800 port is the Proline controllers, which can be resolved by using different controllers.

point taken....however the fact that u never played the 5200 version and base your conclusion based on the sprites and choppiness completely dismisses an accurate comparison. in other words, it's really hard to compare something that you haven't played. graphically correct doesn't qualify a better a game.

Edited by phuzaxeman

Amazing, isn't it? There are people in this thread actually touting the 5200's infamously horrible controllers as an advantage. It boggles the mind.

As for the 7800 controllers, y'all are forgetting that since Robotron doesn't need two fire buttons, you can just plug in two CX-40s to play it.

Amazing, isn't it? There are people in this thread actually touting the 5200's infamously horrible controllers as an advantage. It boggles the mind.

As for the 7800 controllers, y'all are forgetting that since Robotron doesn't need two fire buttons, you can just plug in two CX-40s to play it.

have u played it on the 5200 with the dual holder? i find it funny how people judge the 5200 controllers but actually haven't played say robotron on the 5200. don't get me wrong, the 5200 controllers are the most unreliable atari sticks made, but when they work, the sticks are my personal fav. as far as the two cx-40's, it really isn't fun tapping those two together.

I mounted two original 2600 joysticks on a piece of wood that sat across my lap nicely

and the 7800 was quite a blast. It you try to use the 7800 joysticks you will be very

disappointed, so there is no suprise there.

I've never actually played the 5200 version but Im guessing it isnt much different

than the 8 bit version I had(which I also used the mounted joysticks for.)

Between the two I would say the 7800 is definitely smoother and that also is not

suprising given the amount of sprites the 7800 can throw around.

The 8 bit version however is still great nonetheless.

I mounted two original 2600 joysticks on a piece of wood that sat across my lap nicely

and the 7800 was quite a blast. It you try to use the 7800 joysticks you will be very

disappointed, so there is no suprise there.

I've never actually played the 5200 version but Im guessing it isnt much different

than the 8 bit version I had(which I also used the mounted joysticks for.)

Between the two I would say the 7800 is definitely smoother and that also is not

suprising given the amount of sprites the 7800 can throw around.

The 8 bit version however is still great nonetheless.

adding a piece of wood and 2600 sticks works great but you are modifying the 7800. the coupler back in the day was breakthru during that era.

For a next generation console the 7800 fell flat to me in comparison to the 5200. Just my 2 cents worth....

Does anyone else find sheer amusement over the fact that we're arguing over the graphics in ROBOTRON 2084? While I appreciate the game (more now than originally) it's not a visual showcase. Yes, lots of guys move around and it's neat technically, but this isn't the pinnacle of "art direction" on either system.

Yeah, it shows that the 7800 can throw around a pile of moving objects but I always thought this was one ugly, dated looking game ... even by 1984 standards.

Edited by DracIsBack

Ok so you're giving an opinion that the 7800 version is superior having never even *played* it? I thought making a judgment using an emulator was silly!

Seriously...you can make a case that it's fact the 7800 version has more enemies. Although I can regularly rack up over 500,000 points and I can tell you that in the higher waves, there are MORE than enough enemies onscreen. So many in fact that like both the arcade AND 7800 versions you'd wish there were less than half as many. When you can barely move because youre totally surrounded, having 5-6 more bad guys doesn't make a helluva difference.

And it is FARFARFAR from fact that the 5200 display is choppier. The 7800 version is pretty clunky itself in the higher waves.

Check out vieogamecritic.com 's review of both versions (bearing in mind he tends to rip both systems's games, moreso the 5200 IMO)

7800 version

5200 version

You can take his grading with a grain of salt, which I would say even if they were reversed (he gives the 5200 version an "A" while the 7800 version gets a "C-"), but notice which version he mentions "gets choppy when things get hectic making it difficult to tell what the heck's going on".

I will admit...the 5200 port lacks the stationary "*" obstacles. :roll:

Yikes.

For a next generation console the 7800 fell flat to me in comparison to the 5200. Just my 2 cents worth....

Does anyone else find sheer amusement over the fact that we're arguing over the graphics in ROBOTRON 2084? While I appreciate the game (more now than originally) it's not a visual showcase. Yes, lots of guys move around and it's neat technically, but this isn't the pinnacle of "art direction" on either system.

Yeah, it shows that the 7800 can throw around a pile of moving objects but I always thought this was one ugly, dated looking game ... even by 1984 standards.

This is true I will agree. And I definitely concede that the 7800 is capable of better graphics and movement, and often delivers. Just not with Robotron.