IGNORED

5200 Robotron vs. 7800 version.

CV Gus

For a next generation console the 7800 fell flat to me in comparison to the 5200. Just my 2 cents worth....

Does anyone else find sheer amusement over the fact that we're arguing over the graphics in ROBOTRON 2084? While I appreciate the game (more now than originally) it's not a visual showcase. Yes, lots of guys move around and it's neat technically, but this isn't the pinnacle of "art direction" on either system.

Yeah, it shows that the 7800 can throw around a pile of moving objects but I always thought this was one ugly, dated looking game ... even by 1984 standards.

This is true I will agree. And I definitely concede that the 7800 is capable of better graphics and movement, and often delivers. Just not with Robotron.

Damn it!! I have both of these games. I use the coupler and it is great. However, I can use 2 regular 2600 controllers sitting indian style and putting them close together so they dont move and get the same gameplay as the 5200. I definately think the 7800 is better IMO. Yes the 5200 is choppier but it is still great, just not as great as the 7800 IMO.

I mounted two original 2600 joysticks on a piece of wood that sat across my lap nicely

and the 7800 was quite a blast. It you try to use the 7800 joysticks you will be very

disappointed, so there is no suprise there.

I've never actually played the 5200 version but Im guessing it isnt much different

than the 8 bit version I had(which I also used the mounted joysticks for.)

Between the two I would say the 7800 is definitely smoother and that also is not

suprising given the amount of sprites the 7800 can throw around.

The 8 bit version however is still great nonetheless.

adding a piece of wood and 2600 sticks works great but you are modifying the 7800. the coupler back in the day was breakthru during that era.

Well from where Im standing, I call it more of a correction due to the poor design choice of the non centering joysticks.

Edited by Gorf

For a next generation console the 7800 fell flat to me in comparison to the 5200. Just my 2 cents worth....

Does anyone else find sheer amusement over the fact that we're arguing over the graphics in ROBOTRON 2084? While I appreciate the game (more now than originally) it's not a visual showcase. Yes, lots of guys move around and it's neat technically, but this isn't the pinnacle of "art direction" on either system.

Yeah, it shows that the 7800 can throw around a pile of moving objects but I always thought this was one ugly, dated looking game ... even by 1984 standards.

Im not sure what you meant but the game play is what I was discussing. Otherwise I might have pointed

out that the 7800's multi-pallete feature would give it a color edge and the number of hardware sprites the

7800 can put up in comparison to the four player missiles of an 8 bit/5200(im sure many of those objects

are software sprites on top of this.) Of course the Maria requires the Sally to shut down where the Antic

and GTIA chips can run along side the 6502 of the 8bits.

The joysticks still go to the 7800 because the ease of being able to use any standard 9 pin Atari compatible

in place of the originals. The 5200 cant do this, at least not without some kind of an adapter.

From what I remember both versions were great but the 7800 I remember to be smoother.

It's certainly not apples and oranges though. It's more like macintosh or red delisious.

The joysticks still go to the 7800 because the ease of being able to use any standard 9 pin Atari compatible

in place of the originals. The 5200 cant do this, at least not without some kind of an adapter.

if both sticks work on a 5200, the 5200 stock setup is easily better than 7800 stick. the same feel goes with playing space dungeon. there are games (pacman) that the 5200 sticks dont really work well but robotron on the 5200 with working sticks using the dual coupler comes closer to the feel of the arcade. i experienced when i was younger in the 80's and still feel the same. if ur talking about reliabilty joystiks, of course the 7800 is the superior. but in terms of robotron (stock vs stock), 5200 feels more like the arcade. it's really hard to explain unless u actually get to play it on the 5200.

Sure... I'll throw in my $0.02. I'll first qualify my post by saying I've never played the 5200 version. However, from what I've gathered by reading this post, the 5200 does not display as many enemies/sprites on the screen as the 7800 and arcade versions. And, what the 5200 does display is choppier than the 7800. These are facts, and make the 7800 better and more accurate in those areas.

IMO the 7800 port is more graphically correct. Especially, the "*".

So, the biggest problem with the 7800 port is the Proline controllers, which can be resolved by using different controllers.

point taken....however the fact that u never played the 5200 version and base your conclusion based on the sprites and choppiness completely dismisses an accurate comparison. in other words, it's really hard to compare something that you haven't played. graphically correct doesn't qualify a better a game.

Since I have not played the 5200 version, the only place I interjected opinion was based on the graphics in the screenshot, so how can my reiteration of fact be dismissed as inaccurate?

Graphically correct doesn't qualify a better game... but it doesn't hurt.

So, the biggest problem with the 7800 port is the Proline controllers, which can be resolved by using different controllers.

Amazing, isn't it? There are people in this thread actually touting the 5200's infamously horrible controllers as an advantage. It boggles the mind.

As for the 7800 controllers, y'all are forgetting that since Robotron doesn't need two fire buttons, you can just plug in two CX-40s to play it.

Perhaps this is the one game where the 5200 controllers actually IMPROVE gameplay? Probably not...

I'm not exactly touting the Proline's either... I don't use them much myself, usually opting for CX-40s or another 2600 controller, or gamepads. Two Genesis pads work very nice for Robotron on the 7800.

Sure... I'll throw in my $0.02. I'll first qualify my post by saying I've never played the 5200 version. However, from what I've gathered by reading this post, the 5200 does not display as many enemies/sprites on the screen as the 7800 and arcade versions. And, what the 5200 does display is choppier than the 7800. These are facts, and make the 7800 better and more accurate in those areas.

IMO the 7800 port is more graphically correct. Especially, the "*".

Ok so you're giving an opinion that the 7800 version is superior having never even *played* it? I thought making a judgment using an emulator was silly!

Ok, your opening statement was confusing, so I just wanted to clarify that I have played and own the 7800 version. Also, I never called the 7800 version superior. The 5200 port is probably a very good game. What I am saying is that the 7800 appears to edge it out in several areas. This isn't Pac-Man arcade vs. 2600 Pac-Man... I'm just saying, if I was reading this thread as a review, I would say the 7800 port is probably the better version. If you find it silly that I am able to read this thread, take facts from it, and make a judgment, then... well, that's just silly...

Seriously...you can make a case that it's fact the 7800 version has more enemies. Although I can regularly rack up over 500,000 points and I can tell you that in the higher waves, there are MORE than enough enemies onscreen. So many in fact that like both the arcade AND 7800 versions you'd wish there were less than half as many. When you can barely move because youre totally surrounded, having 5-6 more bad guys doesn't make a helluva difference.

So, are you trying to say that the 5200 port has less enemies, so you are able to make it to a higher level? Fascinating... :roll:

And it is FARFARFAR from fact that the 5200 display is choppier. The 7800 version is pretty clunky itself in the higher waves.

Check out vieogamecritic.com 's review of both versions (bearing in mind he tends to rip both systems's games, moreso the 5200 IMO)

7800 version

5200 version

You can take his grading with a grain of salt, which I would say even if they were reversed (he gives the 5200 version an "A" while the 7800 version gets a "C-"), but notice which version he mentions "gets choppy when things get hectic making it difficult to tell what the heck's going on".

Well, he is certainly entitled to his opinions, though I've never experienced the choppiness myself... and according to this thread we're only allowed to comment on first hand experiences. :roll: ;)

I again state, that the first thing I would do is toss the Proline controllers. I'm sure this would have helped his experience.

I will admit...the 5200 port lacks the stationary "*" obstacles. :roll:

I'm sure this somehow makes the 5200 version better... perhaps the only thing that could improve it is to throw in some unbearable flicker and poor collision detection. (that was sarcasm)

Edited by aftermac

if both sticks work on a 5200, the 5200 stock setup is easily better than 7800 stick. the same feel goes with playing space dungeon. there are games (pacman) that the 5200 sticks dont really work well but robotron on the 5200 with working sticks using the dual coupler comes closer to the feel of the arcade. i experienced when i was younger in the 80's and still feel the same. if ur talking about reliabilty joystiks, of course the 7800 is the superior. but in terms of robotron (stock vs stock), 5200 feels more like the arcade. it's really hard to explain unless u actually get to play it on the 5200.

No, the 7800 sticks are horrible. Im talking using two 2600 sticks. Better by leaps and bounds.

I just could not imagine those non-centring sticks feeling anything like the sticks of Robotron.

The Arcade machine uses contact switchs as does a 2600 so I guess I'd have to play like you

say.

Well, he is certainly entitled to his opinions, though I've never experienced the choppiness myself... and according to this thread we're only allowed to comment on first hand experiences. :roll: ;)

The only time I ever saw 7800 Robotron slow down is when the level first starts and everything appears.

During play I never remember the 7800 version dropping frame. the 8 bit version definitely did in the higher

levels and explains why they did not use as many onscreen enemies....which does make a difference.

The over abundance of enemies is what makes Robotron, Robotron....that and EJ.

:)

• 10 years later...

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just talk about my Robotron 2084 Atari 5200 controller setup I found in my attic, I always loved the way the 5200 version of Robotron played using the dual 5200 controller setup, It really felt like the arcade !

I was so good at the 5200 version and the arcade I could play for hours and hours...

100-9934.jpg

100-9935.jpg
100-9937.jpg
Edited by Tempest Nut
  • Like 2

Well, to be honest, I just sold all my jag stuff on Ebay because I needed the money and I just dug out all my 2800 carts, 5200 carts, and 7800 carts in which I have MANY and I'm putting those on Ebay as well as the 5200 Robotron controller and a beat up 2 port 5200 in original box with a TON of dust on it !!!

Right now I only have eyes for Tempest 4000 2.0 on my PC...

Edited by Tempest Nut

I have the 5200 and 7800 versions of this game and actually use my Edladdin Super Twin 78 controller with each console (see 5200 Space Dungeon).

While I like both versions of Robotron, I personally give the edge to the 7800, when paired with the Super Twin controller. The game play is so smooth, its really like playing in the arcades. :)

BTW, had I not already owned the Super Twin, I would certainly have picked up the Thingiverse 3D printed controller holder. If your going to play Robotron, you need to pick up a controller holder or Twin Stick controller.

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 1