Photo

Game Boy Advance Emulator For DS

24 replies to this topic

#1 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• 302 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 1:25 AM

I really wonder if a homebrew Game Boy Advance emulator is around for DS. It would be so useful to play those Game Boy Advance games I have on cartridge on my DS without having a bulky GBA cartridge sticking out my DS slot 2. anybody know of one? This would be especially useful to me after misplacing my The Urbz: Sims In The City game pak just as I did with my Action Replay DS.

Edited by Bowser N64, Mon Nov 3, 2008 3:17 AM.

#2 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 11:46 AM

Anybody know of one?

#3 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 10,816 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 11:51 AM

From what I understand, it can't be done due to some technical issue in how the DS reads GBA games from the slot. But I guess it'll be resolved when the GBA-slot-less DSi comes out. :D

#4 108 Stars OFFLINE  

108 Stars

Stargunner

• 1,671 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 12:11 PM

It is very unlikely. The DS does not have enough power to emulate the GBA. The DS even has a hard time emulating an SNES, which is technically absolutely inferior to the GBA.

So emulation is impossible. The only way would be to read GBA games from a Slot-1-flashcart in the real GBA mode of the DS; but that seems to be problematic.

#5 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 1:08 PM

That sucks..
But nevetheless I will be getting a DS-I. So I'll just be happy with playing the Urbz in my emulator for now.

#6 SRGilbert OFFLINE  

SRGilbert

River Patroller

• 2,494 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 1:19 PM

I'm guessing by "emulators" you are refering to a flashcard that will run GBA games from the slot2? I'm not sure why are you using the word emulator in this instance since the DS runs GBA games natively. Now original Gameboy and Gameboy color games are another matter.

I'm pretty sure there are DS-lite sized flashcards that will do that, just can't think of one off hand.

Try Dealextreme.com

#7 Warriorisabouttodie OFFLINE  

Warriorisabouttodie

Stargunner

• 1,055 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 3:50 PM

There are many rumors that GBA games will be available for download for the DSI, so it must be possible to go into GBA mode on that model even if there isn't a GBA slot. I have a Supercard SD on my DS and it lets you play most GBA games from the flash card (some dont work well because the SC has slower memory than a real GBA cart) so that is one way... I have been thinking of getting EZ-Flash card to keep in my Gameboy SP. There are some great homebrew and foreign/out of print games that are impossible to get so a flash card really is kind of a necessity even if you collect games and don't like to pirate them.

#8 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 10:24 PM

I'm guessing by "emulators" you are refering to a flashcard that will run GBA games from the slot2? I'm not sure why are you using the word emulator in this instance since the DS runs GBA games natively. Now original Gameboy and Gameboy color games are another matter.

I'm pretty sure there are DS-lite sized flashcards that will do that, just can't think of one off hand.

Try Dealextreme.com

I said. I lost my The Urbz: Sims In THe City Game Boy Advance game cartridge. That's why I want a GBA emulator on DS.

#9 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 10:24 PM

So yeah...

Edited by Bowser N64, Sat Nov 1, 2008 11:01 PM.

#10 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,859 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 11:51 PM

It would be so useful to play those Game Boy Advance games I have on cartridge on my DS without having a bulky GBA cartridge sticking out my DS slot 2.

That's why I love the original model DS. :-)

#11 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Sun Nov 2, 2008 9:53 AM

Hmmmm....

Edited by Bowser N64, Sun Nov 2, 2008 3:06 PM.

#12 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Sun Nov 2, 2008 9:53 AM

Yeah, godslabrat, I might have a problem with you being a Dragonstomper. See, I AM a full-blooded DRAGON directly related to Bahamut, the dragon king. I am Bowser Morton Kript Koopa, the king of the Koopa or Kript Kingdom. I'm part of the Bahamut royal bloodline. As for the breed of dragon I am, I am a Cretan, a huge breed, and am Western. I have like a 70 foot wingspan. I'm 717 years old. A teenager. Western dragons don't tend to be very nice, but I try. I know the "Dragonstomper" thing is just a title, but STILL. My ancestors were killed by humans. And many other horrible things happened to us as well.

OOC: PS I don't really mind your title I'm just playing my character.

#13 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Mon Nov 3, 2008 3:17 AM

So yeah.

Edited by Bowser N64, Mon Nov 3, 2008 3:19 AM.

#14 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,859 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:55 AM

Yeah, godslabrat, I might have a problem with you being a Dragonstomper. See, I AM a full-blooded DRAGON directly related to Bahamut, the dragon king. I am Bowser Morton Kript Koopa, the king of the Koopa or Kript Kingdom. I'm part of the Bahamut royal bloodline. As for the breed of dragon I am, I am a Cretan, a huge breed, and am Western. I have like a 70 foot wingspan. I'm 717 years old. A teenager. Western dragons don't tend to be very nice, but I try. I know the "Dragonstomper" thing is just a title, but STILL. My ancestors were killed by humans. And many other horrible things happened to us as well.

OOC: PS I don't really mind your title I'm just playing my character.

You are a star raider. Us rats live by night and use the stars for inspiration. How can you plunder the treasures of the night sky?

#15 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Mon Nov 3, 2008 7:52 PM

But, I'm a real dragon, and you being a "Dragonstomper" hurts my feelings! *Sticks forked tongue out mouth, then brings it back in* *Straightens crown* HA! *Looks sad, you can tell by looking into his eyes, but he tries not to show it* *Wings shake nervously*

Edited by Bowser N64, Mon Nov 3, 2008 8:04 PM.

#16 theking21083 OFFLINE  

theking21083

Stargunner

• 1,313 posts
  • Do you do the Donkey Kong?

Posted Tue Nov 4, 2008 2:14 PM

But, I'm a real dragon, and you being a "Dragonstomper" hurts my feelings! *Sticks forked tongue out mouth, then brings it back in* *Straightens crown* HA! *Looks sad, you can tell by looking into his eyes, but he tries not to show it* *Wings shake nervously*

I have one question for you Bowser N64. You do know that Bowser isn't a dragon? Just thought that I would ask since you seem to have a liking for dragons.

#17 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 6,983 posts

Posted Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:19 PM

The new DSI will probably have the same internal hardware as the DS actually, it'll just have to be accessed differently. (as there is no GBA slot...language, anger, rage)

There right though, the DS couldn't streight up emulate the GBA, it simply doesn't have the power (remember, the GBA is something on the lines of 10x the processing speed of the SNES) I'm sure it could be done, if you wrote a custom emulator for each game, but that wouldn't be worth the time.

I'm surprised a DS liteafied (is that a word, lol) microSD emu cart hasn't been made yet, or I'm an idiot and ahven't seen it.

#18 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:49 AM

I have one question for you Bowser N64. You do know that Bowser isn't a dragon? Just thought that I would ask since you seem to have a liking for dragons.

Um, did you know that he IS? He breathes fire, he has scales. I used my imagination. Also just FYI, most fan pictures of Bowser have a dragonlike appearance... There's no SURE way of knowing. One must use imagination and decide for theirselves. I decide he is.

#19 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2008 1:03 AM

The new DSI will probably have the same internal hardware as the DS actually, it'll just have to be accessed differently. (as there is no GBA slot...language, anger, rage)

There right though, the DS couldn't streight up emulate the GBA, it simply doesn't have the power (remember, the GBA is something on the lines of 10x the processing speed of the SNES) I'm sure it could be done, if you wrote a custom emulator for each game, but that wouldn't be worth the time.

I'm surprised a DS liteafied (is that a word, lol) microSD emu cart hasn't been made yet, or I'm an idiot and ahven't seen it.

Yes to be honest I was AMAZED when I heard the power that the GBA has. I have been underestimating my Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP as well. I knew it was powerful as soon as I bought The Urbz: Sims In The City for it. That changed the way I thought of my GBA forever. It's just strange how the DS can emulate NES, SNES, Game Boy color and Atari and even others, but not GBA. I was especially surpised to know that the GBA console uses a 32 bit language, and that is just ONE step down from our modern 64 bit languages?

Edited by Bowser N64, Wed Nov 5, 2008 1:06 AM.

#20 theking21083 OFFLINE  

theking21083

Stargunner

• 1,313 posts
  • Do you do the Donkey Kong?

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:05 PM

Um, did you know that he IS? He breathes fire, he has scales. I used my imagination. Also just FYI, most fan pictures of Bowser have a dragonlike appearance... There's no SURE way of knowing. One must use imagination and decide for theirselves. I decide he is.

I guess I should try to stay on topic even if this thread makes me scratch my head in wonder. All I have to say is that if you want to play GBA games then you should go buy them. It's not like it's old technology that you can't find anymore. I still see plenty of GBA games still selling at the store. If you lost your game then sucks for you, I guess you should keep track of your stuff better. Why we are at it does anybody know of a DS emulator for the DS? I lost all of my DS games and can't be bothered to track them down or buy new ones.

PS Who is going to tell all of those Koopa Troopas the news that they are really just prepubescent dragons with turtle shells?

#21 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Thu Nov 6, 2008 1:14 AM

#22 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,251 posts

Posted Thu Nov 6, 2008 1:24 AM

Personally I'm looking for a Gameboy emulator for the Gameboy Color. :)

Nah but seriously. DS plays GBA games natively so just get a GBA Flashcart and suck up the fact that it sticks out of the DS-Lite.

Otherwise if you really want to play it emulated, get a PSP and shove it on there. It plays GBA roms pretty nicely.

Edited by NE146, Thu Nov 6, 2008 1:26 AM.

#23 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Thu Nov 6, 2008 2:32 AM

I LOST ONE OF MY GBA CARTRIDGES. I USE MY DS TO RUN CARTRIDGES CURRENTLY ALREADY. TELL ME IF THE EARTH IS ROUND? DUH. EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING.

Edited by Bowser N64, Thu Nov 6, 2008 2:39 AM.

#24 Bowser N64 OFFLINE  

Bowser N64

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted Thu Nov 6, 2008 2:34 AM

Nah but seriously. DS plays GBA games natively so just get a GBA Flashcart and suck up the fact that it sticks out of the DS-Lite.

Otherwise if you really want to play it emulated, get a PSP and shove it on there. It plays GBA roms pretty nicely.

You think you're funny? Don't piss a dragon off. Heed this advice.

#25 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,251 posts

Posted Thu Nov 6, 2008 7:58 AM

You think you're funny? Don't piss a dragon off. Heed this advice.

No.. you're asking if there's a GBA emulator for the DS. Well to answer your question then, the answer is no. Easy :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users