IGNORED

XE super video mod

PFonck

I want to modify my 800XE according to this article;

http://www.wolfpup.net/atari/sv130-1.html

Can anybody who has done the modification on an XE please confirm that I've picked the right components before I start (de-)soldering?

xe_super_video.jpg

Step 1. Locate R116, a 51-ohm resistor (green-brown-black-gold) on the 130XE motherboard (it's fourth in the line of components to the right of the color tuning pot). Remove this resistor from the board and replace it with a 8.2 ohm resistor (gray-red-gold-gold).

Step 2. Locate the video output transistor Q3; the flat side faces left, and the lead connections are at the top, left side, and bottom. The bottom lead is the collector. Select a 10uf tantalum capacitor and trim its leads to an appropriate length (no more than 1/2"). Solder the (+) end of the cap to the collector of Q3, and the (-) lead to the top of either C47 or C48.

Step 3. Locate the 100-ohm resistor R53 (brown-black-brown-gold) just to the left of Q3. Remove this resistor from the board and replace it with a 75 ohm one (violet-green-black-gold) resistor.

Step 4. Locate the 47-ohm resistor R204 (yellow-violet-black-gold) just to the right of Q2. Remove this resistor from the board and replace it with a 75 ohm (violet-green-black-gold) resistor.

Step 5. Locate the 180-ohm resistor R202 (brown-grey-brown-gold) just above the color output transistor Q3. Remove this resistor from the board and replace it with a 75 ohm (violet-green-black-gold) resistor.

Step 6. Locate the 150-ohm resistor R205 (brown-green-brown-gold) right above the R202 you just modified. Remove this resistor from the board and replace it with a 75 ohm (violet-green-black-gold) resistor.

Step 7. Locate the 10uf electrolytic cap C50, just to the left of the CD4050 buffer U20. Desolder it and clear the board holes of solder. Install the 100uf or 220uf radial-lead electrolytic cap in place of C50, taking care to orient the leads so the (+) lead faces the bottom of the board in alignment with the "+" symbol screened on the board. That's it, your done.

Thanks!

I'm not sure why anyone has done or would do this mod...the XE is ALREADY s-video compatible. All you need is a cable that has the Xe's monitor DIN plug at one end to plug into the XE and an s-video mini din plug at the other end to go into the TV. This is a very easy splicing hack if you have an s-video cable and an atari monitor cable...this is what I did, so i know for a fact it works PERFECTLY.it's just a matter of splicing the chroma/lumina lines into the s-video lines. I'm not saying that this mod wouldn't work, it's just redundant and in my opinion a waste of time and money on the components. Best Electronics and/or B&C (links in the links section here at atariage under "dealers.") have the necessary monitor cables...they may even already have the custom cable for this...

All Atari 8-bit computers equiped with a monitor jack are compatible with S-video as Chroma/Lumina signals are the early version of S-video.

The mods are to improve colour and image quality. I know the S-VHS works because I've been using it.

Super Video means Super Output Quality, not Super VHS!

Just let me waste my time and money (why would I else be messing with old 8-bits) and stay on-topic ;)

Well, do what you want, after all, you seem to have invested in the parts already, but my color and picture quality is just as good as evrything else I have hooked up to s-video...although I suppose it might be because the 800XE is such a piece of **** that you may need to do this...but I do agree that modifying these old machines is half the fun, but generally I like to modify them with something they aren't already capable of... :roll:

Gunstar,

You're missing the point - the XE like the 800XL and the 1200XL all have shoddy video output - yes even thru an S Video connection.

The mods being descibed here (sorry I've not done them - my 1200XL has been modifed tho' :) ) are designed to remove all the noise and signal strength issues that the hardware so clearly displays and so produce a CLEAR picture whatever video output you're using...

My 130XE has the classic vertical lines on the display artifact that this mod removes - looking at the article I may just open it up and wield the soldering gun - is the layout and mod the same for PAL and NTSC units I wonder???

sTeVE

P.S. Whatever your opinions of the 800XE may be - try not to trash other users systems to their face, even if your ignornace prevents you from understandign their questions...

Look, I was just trying to be helpful and maybe save you some time, my picture happens to look perfectly fine to me...and the 800XE is a piece, just read the thread below talking about it, I wasn't trying to insult you personally, but you were quite rude to me too, after I went throught the trouble of TRYING to help and give you an alternative, I spent about 15 min. tracking down the catalog number and everything for you, you ungrateful prick. from now on I will just mind my own business, same to you Jetboot, GEESE! I try to help and I get rude responses, so of course I'm going to return the favor :x

I want to apologize to both of you; I've had a rough day and was taking it out on the wrong people. But I do want to make some points;

JetBoot, I'm ignorant of NOTHING concerning this mod, now that I know what the mod is, after taking a closer look, I'd read about a similiar mod before in one of the atari magazines. It was simply a MISUNDERSTANDING because Pfonck described it as an "S-video" mod instead of a chroma/lumina mod for improving the existing picture quality (which I feel isn't a problem with my 130XE). I thought he thought that the Atari's weren't capable of S-video already. Also, the 800XE is known for a fact to be cheaply made of left-over and inferior components, even compared to the other 8-bits, as I just recently read about it in the "65XE/800XE thread below; I don't have to have one in front of me to know what I just read from someone who has had first hand experience with one. It IS a Piece of cr*p, no personal attack implied. I want one, but just for the case. Also, JetBoot, you're like a pot calling the kettle black as far as this is concerned, or have you already forgotten your remarks towards Jaghammer's and my prefering the Jaguar over other systems in that thread where we had an argument before? If Pfonck can't handle the fact that Atari sold him an inferior 8-bit computer, then I'm rubbing my fore-finger and thumb together playing a very sad song on the worlds smallest violin, but I was NOT infering anything toward him personally. Even I have had bad experiences with picture quality on Atari products, namely, the Jaguar with it's poor RF and interference from the Jagcd. But as far as my 800/800xland Xe are concerned, I don't feel the S-video picture quality is bad and so I personally don't see the point in wasting time on a mod that won't make that big of a difference TO ME. That's all I meant. But if both of you would rather, in the future I will refrain from attempting to "help" or partake in discussions you are in on or start. Obviously neither of you give a rats *ss for my opinions anyway, even if they are correct. Sorry. :sad:

oh don't take it so personally - PFonk is new to the board - I just figured he should be shown a bit 'o' courtesy thass all :)

As to the old discussion - I'm not gonna rake over old coals - suffice to say that now I have added a nice 3DO setup to my collection and a good bundle of games (about 60 now) I'm still of the same opinion as I was back then :) :)

sTeVE

Frankly I don't care what people think about the 800XE, just bought it a while back to relive the days I was enjoying my 600XL so much, especially the Donkey Kong cart that was way better than the ColecoVision version. I wouldn't know about any "timing issues" or "GTIA-bugs" because they never stopped me enjoying a game of Donkey Kong and probably never will. The bad display quality however does bother me and as far as I've understood every Atari except for the first 400/800's suffered from this.

I've been offered a trade against a 600XL or an 800XL, but may just stick to the 800XE because the "super video" mod is easier to accomplish on that one.

But anyway... I went here to search for some people that "are in the know" who would be able to verify the correct placement of the components...

• 2 weeks later...

The XE has S-Video capabilities? Holy Crap! I never knew that (of course I never looked either). So if I have a 130XE or an XEGS all I need is a XE monitor cable and an S-Video cable spliced together for this to work? Does someone sell them spliced together already or does that cable not exist?

Oh and for the record the 800XE is a piece, but if I had one I'd mod it and use it anyway just becuase it would be so cool to do so. Of course I always like to go for the odd and unusual over the standard anyway. That's why I've been trying to figure out how to mod an 800 to work with the XE's OS. It's all about going against the norm. I hope you're able to mod your system and make it work right.

Just out of curiosity though, wouldn't it be easier to gut a 130XE and put it in the 800XE case than go through all that hassle of modding the 800XE? Other than the components and the memory difference (64K vs 128K) aren't they the same system?

Tempest

Some people just make the best out of what they have. Even if it's an 800XE that does everything the owner/user asks of it perfectly.

Strange huh?

And you're right... the more people keep pissing over my 800XE on this forum the more I grow attached to it. Bring em' on! :twisted:

The XE has S-Video capabilities?  Holy Crap!  I never knew that (of course I never looked either).  So if I have a 130XE or an XEGS all I need is a XE monitor cable and an S-Video cable spliced together for this to work?  Does someone sell them spliced together already or does that cable not exist?  

Tempest

B&C sells a cable with the regular monitor plug (that plugs into the "monitor" port of the 8-bit) on one end and 4 RCA jacks on the other end. One of these RCA jacks is for composite video and two others are the chroma/lumina video outputs that can be plugged directly into the BACK of a commodore 1702 monitor (not the front-that is for the composite), OR, you can easily take those two chroma/lumina plugs and splice them with a standard modern-day S-video cable which will plug into a standard modern-day s-video jack on your tv or other device (e.g., S-VHS machine).The last RCA plug is for audio, no matter whether you use composite or s-video. There is a link I left above to the B&C site, and the catalog number of the exact cable you need. Best, at one time, had a custom cable like you inquired about, but I couldn't find it listed in their "online" catalog, though you might call or e-mail and ask...

Some people just make the best out of what they have. Even if it's an 800XE that does everything the owner/user asks of it perfectly.

Strange huh?

And you're right... the more people keep pissing over my 800XE on this forum the more I grow attached to it. Bring em' on! :twisted:

Patrick,

Kudos! Good stuff and a nice web page explaining the mods. Might have to do one myself :ponder: Just ignore all the curmudgeons around here and keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

COuld someone please tell me what the slight error was in the original plans for this super vid mod. I tried going to pfonck's site, but my browser could not find the site. I am planning to do this mod on a 130 Xe I just bought on ebay, but I would need to know what the error is in the original plans. Pfonck or anyone else that has done this, could you please provide any insight into this one. Thanks in advance.

Bradd