IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 11: Reactor

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Positrons. Neutrinos. Photons. These are just a few of the nuclear particles threatening to blow your ship apart. There's nowhere to run! No way of escaping! To survive, you must fight them. But that's only half the battle. While you try to destroy these dangerous particles, you must also try to stop the reactor's expanding core before it reaches melt-down. So board your ship and prepare to enter the awesome depths of REACTOR!

s_Reactor_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Reactor
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice (Controls Ship Speed)
  • Right Difficulty: N/A?
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday November 19th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 352,082 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 238,127 (DarthCalvin) [+10]
  3. 224,679 (aftermac) [+9]
  4. 153,991 (Deteacher) [+8]
  5. 99,259 (Jess Ragan) [+7]
  6. 58,724 (Impaler_26) [+6]
  7. 56,457 (SpiceWare) [+5]
  8. 49,953 (darthkur) [+4]
  9. 47,625 (midnight magicman) [+3]
  10. 39,606 (rheffera) [+2]
  11. 36,459 (Nathan Strum) [+1]
  12. 35,121 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  13. 25,314 (jjd) [+1]
  14. 20,956 (Mister VCS) [+1]
  15. 19,422 (ClassicGMR) [+1]
  16. 8633 (Hornpipe2) [+1]
  17. 6094 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Jess Ragan [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,615,526 (Todd Rogers)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Sorry, I didn't get around to it.
    Check next week's list instead.

Scoring Points in Reactor
  • Each Unused Decoy - 500 points
  • Destroy a Lepton - 200 points
  • Destroy a Neutrino - 200 points
  • Destroy a Positron - 200 points
  • Destroy a Photon - 200 points
  • Destroy a Control Rod - 200 points
  • Trap a Particle in Bonus Chamber - 10-15 points per bounce
  • An extra life is awarded at 10,000 points
  • An extra decoy is awarded for knocking down both sets of control rods

Hints and Tips
  • Lure enemy particles close to the wall for easier hits.
  • Place your decoys by the kill wall for easier hits.
  • Place your decoy in front of the bonus chamber to lure enemy particles inside for extra points.
  • Place decoys near control rods to attract enemy particles for easier hits.
  • Guide your ship in a CLOCKWISE direction if it should become caught in the vortex. This may help you escape it.
  • Remember to watch the number of enemy particles "To Go" (number of particles not yet on the screen), at the top of the screen in order to keep track of each round.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:
Nathan Strum
Here's my tip: build up a supply of decoys by taking out as many of the control rods as early in the game as you can. As you get to the waves with a lot of particles in them (24 or more), use the time between the waves to duck into the bonus chamber and drop off a decoy, then scoot out of there before the particles show up. This will boost your score a lot. Important note: be sure not to be in a bonus chamber if particles are in either one of them - if a particle exits a bonus chamber, the chambers will flip to the other end of the screen, and you'll be killed.

I've been practicing this on Game 3, and I've finally gotten the hang of it. I'd recommend starting on level 3 to practice, so you're not distracted with potentially ruining a good game.

The thing to remember is, as Jess said, move in a slow clockwise motion. More specifically, if you break the vortex into quadrants, just point the joystick in the direction shown when in each quadrant:

link to picture

As you cross over to the next quadrant, change directions. This keeps you from exiting the vortex (which you don't want to do). The only real hazard is running into the very center of the core, since that's where you'll die. But if you stay away from that area, you can ride around inside the vortex anywhere.
Deteacher
I find it easier to get in the bonus chamber on the right side. The collision detection seems to be off on the left side, or something.

I don't know why you have to go in in the first place. I just place a decoy close to the opening of the bonus chamber. They'll jump right in, that way. :)

When the reactor has the shield around it, my goal is to get as many decoys as possible. Sure, I'll dump a couple enemies into the bonus chambers for the extra points, but I focus on the control rods.

On the vortex levels, I will place a decoy near the bonus chamber for some bonus points. Otherwise, I'll just ride the vortex

On the invisible wall levels, I try to keep enemies in the bonus chambers as much as possible. As they bounce around in there, you can see the walls. Get 3 or 4 in at a time, it's almost as if the walls aren't invisible at all. :) Use that time to knock out the control rods.
Jess Ragan
Here's a hint for all you Reacto-maniacs out there. If you're caught in the vortex, ride it out by rolling the joystick in a slow, clockwise motion. Once you get the pattern down you can ride on the lip of the vortex until the particles take out all the pins on one side of the screen. You'll almost be grateful for the vortex in the later stages, because it guarantees you'll never crash into the walls as long as you're in its clutches.
Mister VCS
My "tip": play this game with the Atari-trakball! This is the first 2600-game I know the trakball is useful.
DarthCalvin
Nothing changes after you finish the 4th level, just the same invisible wall vortex over and over so practicing is an excellent idea. Get that down and then it's just hang on til you croak. Good luck
aftermac
My strategy was to ride the vortex and collect, but not use any of the decoys. When you get good at it, riding the vortex is much safer that being outside it... and when I lost all my lives the bonus points from spare decoys got me to the next 10,000 point mark twice.

Basically, when the vortex was too small to ride I carefully did laps around it, so the particles would chase me (when the vortex has a wall aroud it, hug the left and/or right sides so the particles smash the rods. If you keep moving toward the vortex wall you won't hit the kill wall). Very little contact and very little chance of hitting a wall. When the vortex grew I jumped on and let it bash the particles into the walls.

--Zero

I've always really liked Reactor. I just can't get very far into the "no reactor walls" (vortex) waves.

post-2641-1226477407_thumb.png

Here's my tip: build up a supply of decoys by taking out as many of the control rods as early in the game as you can. As you get to the waves with a lot of particles in them (24 or more), use the time between the waves to duck into the bonus chamber and drop off a decoy, then scoot out of there before the particles show up. This will boost your score a lot. Important note: be sure not to be in a bonus chamber if particles are in either one of them - if a particle exits a bonus chamber, the chambers will flip to the other end of the screen, and you'll be killed.

Edited by Nathan Strum

The bonus chambers on the bottom (or top, if they've flipped) corners of the screen. Just line up with the entrance, dash in, drop off a decoy, and zip back out. It's best if you move in straight from the side, since there's less chance of crashing into a wall that way. There's also enough room to come in straight down, but there's less room to stop.

post-2641-1226527427_thumb.png

I find it easier to get in on the right side. The collision detection seems to be off on the left side, or something.

I don't know why you have to go in in the first place. I just place a decoy close to the opening of the bonus chamber. They'll jump right in, that way. :)

I stopped trying to go in, I got this thing figured out now. Massive score forthcoming :evil:

SCORE: 99,259

Ooooh, expletive deleted! I was so close to six figures... if I had only held onto a couple more decoys!

Here's a hint for all you Reacto-maniacs out there. If you're caught in the vortex, ride it out by rolling the joystick in a slow, clockwise motion. Once you get the pattern down you can ride on the lip of the vortex until the particles take out all the pins on one side of the screen. You'll almost be grateful for the vortex in the later stages, because it guarantees you'll never crash into the walls as long as you're in its clutches.

post-393-1226544732_thumb.png

Edited by Jess Ragan

Here's a hint for all you Reacto-maniacs out there. If you're caught in the vortex, ride it out by rolling the joystick in a slow, clockwise motion. Once you get the pattern down you can ride on the lip of the vortex until the particles take out all the pins on one side of the screen.

This is the thing I've never been able to do. Need to practice...

I found that more of them go in and stay in if you leave the decoy inside. But you can only really do it safely at the beginning of a wave.

Here's a hint for all you Reacto-maniacs out there. If you're caught in the vortex, ride it out by rolling the joystick in a slow, clockwise motion. Once you get the pattern down you can ride on the lip of the vortex until the particles take out all the pins on one side of the screen.

This is the thing I've never been able to do. Need to practice...

Okay, I've been practicing this on Game 3, and I've finally gotten the hang of it. I'd recommend starting on level 3 to practice, so you're not distracted with potentially ruining a good game.

The thing to remember is, as Jess said, move in a slow clockwise motion. More specifically, if you break the vortex into quadrants, just point the joystick in the direction shown when in each quadrant:

post-2641-1226634563_thumb.png

As you cross over to the next quadrant, change directions. This keeps you from exiting the vortex (which you don't want to do). The only real hazard is running into the very center of the core, since that's where you'll die. But if you stay away from that area, you can ride around inside the vortex anywhere.

Now... to start playing again. :D