IGNORED

Animal Crossing: City Folk

8th lutz

http://gonintendo.com/?p=27930

This is not a confirmation from Nintendo. This comes from the latest issue of EDGE magazine.

An EDGE magazine excerpt…

“A Japanese source has confirmed to Edge that the upcoming Wii iteration of Animal Crossing is set to be a social networking MMO.”

No…this couldn’t be. If this were to happen, Nintendo will have made an awesome move with the series. It’s what fans have wanted for a long time. It’s just too good to be true! Let’s hope EDGE’s informant is on the money with this one.

Well, it pretty much is a MMO already. Widen the amount of people allowed in your town to a few more than four and you're pretty much there.

Of course, it'll never be a MMO as we know it until Nintendo remove the restriction of friend codes, which they never will.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=27930

This is not a confirmation from Nintendo. This comes from the latest issue of EDGE magazine.

An EDGE magazine excerpt…

“A Japanese source has confirmed to Edge that the upcoming Wii iteration of Animal Crossing is set to be a social networking MMO.”

No…this couldn’t be. If this were to happen, Nintendo will have made an awesome move with the series. It’s what fans have wanted for a long time. It’s just too good to be true! Let’s hope EDGE’s informant is on the money with this one.

I'd have to disagree as Im not a huge MMO fan. I've pretty much have had my fill of em'. Still it will be interesting if this turns out to be true.

This seems like natural progression for the title for me. Animal Crossing has always been aimed at a younger crowd (though it appeals to a broad demographic) and when you look at some of the similar online games (such as Webkinz, which my S.O. and her daughter love; it allows you to play games online, collect items, decorate a house, etc.), there could be some far-reaching appeal there. Even more so when you can do it from the comfort of your couch.

I hate friend codes BTW...

As liveinabin suggested, i doubt this will happen. What if some 8-year-old meets up with some clever teenager that's drawn balls on his custom shirt? The entire world as we know it will fall apart. Any online aspect of the game will have friend codes, and it's hard to imagine that working in an MMO.

• 8 months later...

Anyone else here looking forward to this title? I had the Animal Crossing games for the GC and DS and had tons of fun with both of them. I'm just wanting to here some more details about it, mainly along the lines of how this title will be a step up from the previous versions other than just the voice chat.

Doesn't seem to feature much that the other versions didn't have. While I loved the first two, I'm a little concerned that the series is beginning to stagnate, like Harvest Moon did.

As for the 'wiispeak', I don't see how that'll work. Other consoles have headsets for a reason. You stick an open mic by the TV and it's going to pick up TV noise, surely.

I really enjoyed Animal Crossing for the GameCube... can't begin the number of hours I spent on the game. Tried playing Wild World on the DS and the game just didn't have the same appeal or interest for me.

I thought about the difference between the two games and why I liked one better than the other and came to the conclusion that a BIG part of my enjoyment of the GC game was collecting and playing the NES games.... I was addicted to finding each and every one and then playing and enjoying them. Of course they weren't included in the DS game and so the game didn't hold the same interest level for me.

I've watched the trailer for the Wii game and so far I'm not impressed that much at all. I'll wait a bit for more news to be released about what is included in the Wii game before passing final judgement. But so far, City Folk doesn't appear to offer much new, other than a WiFi auction site for selling/trading your furniture, pictures, etc.

Mendon

It sorely needs better AI for the townsfolk. From what I saw in the movie footage of this game, they're still saying the same random non-sequitirs. This is almost a direct port of AC: Wild World. What the hell have they been doing for two years?

I had some fun with the GameCube version until I ran out of stuff to do, and writing letters to the other animals got boring... this version looks mostly the same to me.

Also, I was hoping that by now they'd be doing away with text bubbles for characters. The original Animal Crossing had some nifty almost-speech synthesis and I was hoping that by the time a sequel came out, they'd have improved it to the point where it could do REAL speech.

--Zero

I doubt I'll buy it. I bought the GC version for my GF and she loved it. She played and played like mad for a few weeks.

The later (after she was burned out on the GC version) I got her the DS version, she played for maybe 3 days and then dropped it.

From what I've heard this AC is more of the same. If I buy it for her, she'd probably play it one day and put it down.

Well, I thought the trailer was totally underwhelming. Apart from the "town centre" bit you could have been forgiven for thinking they'd just regurgitated footage from old Gamecube or DS trailers. I have the GC and DS versions and enjoyed playing both, but there'd have to be some major improvements before I buy this one.

Still, shouldn't rush to judge on a two minute trailer - hopefully they'll show us some new stuff soon (hopefully there'll actually be some new stuff.)

Doesn't seem to feature much that the other versions didn't have. While I loved the first two, I'm a little concerned that the series is beginning to stagnate, like Harvest Moon did.

I hope by that you mean "before Magical Melody" which is the best in the series.

As for Animal Crossing: City Folk not doing much the other didn't, here is a list I got on UK:Resistance:

Here's what we know:

*Good holidays are back, including Christmas, Halloween, etc.

*Multiplayer is easier, allows microphone (and apparently, a USB keyboard).

*Visit people's towns even when they're not playing.

*You can directly mail and send items to friends in other villages without having to visit them.

*Take a bus, driven by Kapp'n, to the new city area with fashion boutique (owned by Gracie and employing a new Able Sister), auction house, salon, theater, Happy Room Academy, and more.

*Pointer controls and vastly improved user interface including features like a quick-switch for items without having to go into inventory.

*Animals are no longer stuck inside when you have friends visiting, they'll now wander outside freely.

*All four players can be in a house at once, and you can move furniture even when you have people visiting in your house.

*New giant furniture pieces -- a wrestling mat about 5x5 squares was demonstrated.

*Much higher texture res, faces are no longer blurry masses.

*Camera can be zoomed in and out even while outdoors, and you can switch between ACGC and WW camera styles.

*Camera icon may imply screenshots/photography feature.

*Varied topography, ACGC cliffs are back.

*Fish are in 3D.

*Improved animations, details, effects, etc. Less immediate but still noticeable visual changes. Characters animate more fluidly, ears bounce on villagers as they move, other small touches.

*More furniture, items, villagers, conversations, etc., more of all the basics.

So it isn't that it isn't a nice little set-up, it is like a "greatest hits" of the GC and DS version, with upgrades to all the online play, and new items and characters. It's basically the Animal Crossing we wanted in the last two versions.

I doubt I'll buy it. I bought the GC version for my GF and she loved it. She played and played like mad for a few weeks.

The later (after she was burned out on the GC version) I got her the DS version, she played for maybe 3 days and then dropped it.

From what I've heard this AC is more of the same. If I buy it for her, she'd probably play it one day and put it down.

I don't think so Moycon. My wife was the same way with the DS version, but has been actually asking me for the launch day for the Wii one. I think there was a lot of "step backward" stuff in the DS release that made it not a great entry for people who started on the Gamecube. I liked the DS one because I hung around in the towns of people from on here and got Batman T-shirts from them. But the visitor thing was too much work for my wife to bother with it. This time her best friend (who also loves GC Animal Crossing) will be getting a Wii just for the game. They'll likely hang out online (they don't live close together in real life anymore). If your girlfriend gets it and needs a town to visit, she can probably visit them.

It was confirmed that there won't be NES games in the Wii version... I would have liked to at least be able to play my own VC titles in the game or something. I suppose there's still a chance for that to happen though.

I don't mind the graphics remaining the same but I do expect there to be many more activities and I hope they add more to the game from the GC version. The trip to the city sounds cool and I look forward to hearing more about the new features that will be included.

I did read that you can now create different patterns on the clothing.. front and back and sleeves can all be different which is kinda cool for people who like to make their own patterns (I never got into it myself).

• 4 weeks later...

After reading the list of improvements I'm actually a bit excited for this one. The fact I can switch from fishing pole to shovel without a menu , the visiting of towns when someone isn't online and the mailing of letters to other towns from my own are all pretty major fixes. If enough people I know get it for online a chatting I'll likely grab a copy.

I plan on mentioning the game to my GF and the improvements,and see how she reacts to it.

Would make an easy and fun Xmas gift.

Me and the wife have given her sister the Wii until this comes out. Her sister is the only teenage girl in the world without guitar hero apparently, so we took pity and gave her the system for a few months (we don't play anymore anyway). However, my wife's main reason for wanting the Wii back in 2006 was Animal Crossing, so we'll be taking the Wii back then. I'm hoping she likes it more than the DS version (on which she hated the view, screen size, and lack of her own freaking house). Not getting your own house in multiplayer is probably the biggest downgrade I've ever seen in a sequel. That's basically ripping out half of the game. Throw in lack of varied topography and eye strain, and it was missing a lot.