IGNORED

Animal Crossing: City Folk

8th lutz

Anyone else mention these extra features yet?

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/08/2...ing-details-in/

Easy SD upload of pictures of things you made and your village is a great feature (no more blurry shots of people's TVs). Also, potentially new free content to download from time to time will give the game very long legs (new stuff every month might keep me playing well into the next generation). On the less important front, things will transfer from Wild World (I'd be more excited if I hadn't sold the game, and the DS) and Easter is added to the holidays. Shaping up as worthwhile so far.

I read a blurb, I think it was on IGN, that Easter was being added to holidays on City Folk. But in this day and age of everything having to be politically correct, the holiday is being called "Bunny Day" in City Folk. :ponder:

Mendon

None of the holidays have ever been called by their real names in AC.

Besides, it's just as well to call it bunny day anyway. I wonder how many kids wake up and yell "He is risen" and then never even think of the eggs. Let's face it, the bunny is bigger now than Jesus to most people, so we might as well call it bunny day in real life.

I read a blurb, I think it was on IGN, that Easter was being added to holidays on City Folk. But in this day and age of everything having to be politically correct, the holiday is being called "Bunny Day" in City Folk. :ponder:

Mendon

None of the holidays have ever been called by their real names in AC.

Besides, it's just as well to call it bunny day anyway. I wonder how many kids wake up and yell "He is risen" and then never even think of the eggs. Let's face it, the bunny is bigger now than Jesus to most people, so we might as well call it bunny day in real life.

I know what you are saying.

I really don't want to turn the subject of this thread into something entirely different, so the only comments I'll make is that it I just get PO'd over how anal people get about things like this and that cultural history has to be changed just so a holiday doesn't offend someone. Christmas and Easter recess from school never used to bother anyone, but now, you have to call them Winter and Spring so that someones panties doesn't get all bunched up.

Mendon

I'm kind of on the fence about it. On one hand, Animal Crossing on the 'Cube was in my top 10 of that generation. I just loved that game. And I played waaaay too much AC:WW on the DS, even though it was pretty much the same. But with City Folk, it looks like so much "more of the same" I'm not sure I want to do it all over again. As of right now it doesn't look like they added enough to get my $50, though I'm also kind of waiting for Nintendo to give me a reason to buy it. :)

It's just the DS game again (with barely even any graphical improvements). As long as Nintendo continue to take the p*ss like this, I'm not buying. They're doing their console no favours at all.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. I did quite a bit of research when editing a story on AC:CF. It seems that there are quite a few improvements including:

- Mii Support

- Real-time Seasons (not clear if winter tracks to true winter or if it can get inverted with summer)

- The addition of a common "City" area. Things in the city happen independent of your town.

- Mii Support through upgraded Masks

- Greater customization of the characters. (e.g. You can change attributes of the clothing rather than picking a specific piece of clothing.)

- New activities to enjoy alone or with friends

If you're burning out on the DS Animal Crossing, I somewhat doubt these features are sufficient to convince you of this new title. But if you're looking for more or skipped the DS title, then this game could be quite interesting.

• 2 months later...

So, did anyone pick up the game yet?

I picked up a copy last night and only played it for about 30min, and so far its.......Animal Crossing. Things I noticed that are changed:

- The viewpoint as you are walking around town is totally different from the GameCube version (I never played the DS version); the world is sort of "curved" and not flat. Hard for me to explain other than to say its different from the GC version.

- The game loads everytime you enter or leave a building. Very annoying, at least to me, after the quick "change" that took place in the GC version.

- You travel by bus rather than train

- Museum is much bigger which means you have more things to collect and donate

- Your house has a second floor at start and you save your game by going to bed upstairs rather than outside your home as in the GC version

- I used to make multiple towns with multiple memory cards in the GC version in order to get different fruits. Since City Folk uses the Wii memory, not sure if there is a way to make multiple towns for multiple people in this version.

Like I said, I've only played for about 30min, so the above is my early findings.

Just curious if anyone else has tried out the game and your impressions.

UPDATE: More differences I've discovered:

- you have much more room in dressers and storage units than you did in the GC version.

- weeds don't seem to grow anywhere near as fast as they did in the GC version. After 4 days of playing, I think I might have pulled only 2 or 3 weeds.

- besides the Lost & Found, there is a disposal bin in City Hall that you can claim goodies from.

-lots more bee's hiding in the tree's when you go "tree shaking" for money and gifts.

- I miss the Cap'n singing his songs, and the island.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

For all who get it be sure to share your friend codes...

The "rolling world" is a carryover from the DS version. Seems like they combined the GC and DS versions sorta.

I don't like the "loading" screens as well.

I was thinking about the multiple towns the other day. Only thing I can think of is use the DS briefcase to temporarily transfer your character, copy the save to a mem card, start a new town, have your character in the DS briefcase visit that town. Swapping saves, though, would be a pain. At the very least you would need to SD cards. This is all assuming the Wii will even let you copy the save over. Something tells me it is locked.

The curved viewpoint + second floor are from the DS version from what I remember. What I'd like to know is if you got it with the Wiispeak and if so how much did it cost with that?

I bought the bundle that comes with Wii Speak as Walmart was totally sold out of just the game. The price for the bundle is $70, which is $10 cheaper than buying the game and Wii Speak separately.

And please note..... Wii Speak comes packed with a code that activates the Wii Speak Channel (which debut's in December, according to the box). The Wii Speak Channel won't be available to buy or download from the Wii Store, but can only be obtained by buying a Wii Speak.

If you purchase a used Wii Speak from GameStop or some other source and the original owner of the Wii Speak used the code to activate the Channel on their Wii, you will **NOT** have access to the Wii Speak Channel. The code that comes packed with Wii Speak will be tied to the serial number of the Wii console that it is activated from, and is not transferable.

Nintendo could change this policy in the future if enough Wii owners complain, but for now, one Wii Speak access coupon per console.

Mendon

I'd like to post my Wii code and be added to anyone's Friend List who is playing Animal Crossing:

3544 2826 2434 3977

I have Cherry tree's in my town of Pixley (yeah, I'm a Green Acres fan) and want to obtain other fruit.

hehe. I used to run a BBS named "Scrubb Acres". Anyways you need to give you "Animal Crossing" friend code as well. Since the Wii friend code and the Animal Crossing friend code are two different things.

My town has apples by the way.

*Visit people's towns even when they're not playing.

How does that work? They leave the Wii on all day, walk away and technically they're 'not playing'? ;)

I just get PO'd over how anal people get about things like this and that cultural history has to be changed just so a holiday doesn't offend someone. Christmas and Easter recess from school never used to bother anyone, but now, you have to call them Winter and Spring so that someones panties doesn't get all bunched up.

I think this appropriate actually. Those holidays are originally about the beginning of Winter and Spring anyhow.

Does anyone know what the Wii Speek is used for? Is it worth the extra $20?

Fer real?

It lets you talk to other people when you visit or they visit your town/village, whatever it is.

Both parties do NOT need one either for it to work. If you don't mind one way conversations. :lol:

I'd like to post my Wii code and be added to anyone's Friend List who is playing Animal Crossing:

3544 2826 2434 3977

I have Cherry tree's in my town of Pixley (yeah, I'm a Green Acres fan) and want to obtain other fruit.

Mendon

Mendon - are you sure that's a Wii code and not a DS code?

Here's my Wii Code for AC: City Folk:

Town: Omaha

Name: Chelzie

Code: 2707-5121-4562

I have pears.