IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 12: Lock 'n' Chase

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

It's a cops and robbers chase at your local bank. You have five thieves. They enter the vault one at a time. Four police officers are hot on the thief's trail. Direct the thief down the corridors. Keep him away from the law!

s_LockNChase_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Lock 'n' Chase
  • Released By: Mattel, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Faster Gameplay
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday November 26th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 73,500 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 41,820 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 36,830 (aftermac) [+9]
  4. 28,160 (shadow460) [+8]
  5. 27,000 (LarcenTyler) [+7]
  6. 24,010 (jjd) [+6]
  7. 22,360 (Jess Ragan) [+5]
  8. 13,890 (Impaler_26) [+4]
  9. 13,620 (LoneWolfSeth) [+3]
  10. 12,650 (darthkur) [+2]
  11. 11,090 (Hornpipe2) [+1]
  12. 10,040 (ClassicGMR) [+1]
  13. 8740 (DarthCalvin) [+1]
  14. 7160 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Random Terrain [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 999,999 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 78,330 (Robert T Mruczek)
  3. 74,680 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [116]
  2. Deteacher [108]
  3. DarthCalvin [94]
  4. darthkur [75]
  5. aftermac [65]
  6. jjd [54]
  7. SpiceWare [52]
  8. the 5th ghost [47]
  9. Hornpipe2 [46]
  10. Impaler_26 [35]
  11. Nathan Strum [30]
  12. Kurt_Woloch [26]
  13. Zoyx [22]
  14. Mister VCS [20]
  15. Spector [20]
  16. iangamer [14]
  17. LarcenTyler [13]
  18. homerwannabee [11]
  19. midnight magicman [11]
  20. maf [9]
  21. Jess Ragan [9]
  22. LoneWolfSeth [8]
  23. Omegamatrix [8]
  24. missioncontrol [8]
  25. Random Terrain [8]
  26. SeaGtGruff [8]
  27. chuckwalla [7]
  28. LS_Dracon [7]
  29. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  30. ClassicGMR [5]
  31. phaxda [5]
  32. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  33. shadow460 [3]
  34. rheffera [2]
  35. ratfink [2]
  36. Yar76 [1]
  37. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Lock 'n' Chase
  • Gold Bars - 20 points each
  • Upper Treasure - 500, 1000, 2000 then 4000 points
  • Lower Treasure - 250, 500, 1000, 2000, etc., doubling each time
  • Trap a Cop - 2000 points each time (once per screen)

Hints and Tips
  • Keep your thief on the run! Always look for an escape route, the police are right behind you.
  • Try to trap police between two doors on the lower left or right vertical corridors. Get extra points for this feat.
  • Don't stay around open side doors for long...the police can come through here too!
  • Be careful in the corners. It's easy to get trapped there!
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:
Deteacher
The manual states that you only get the 2,000 points for trapping a cop "once per screen." That's not quite true. If you trap a cop, but then die later on that board, you can trap him again on the same board with your next life and get another 2,000. So, my first tip would be to try to trap a cop right away. Then if you happen to die, you can trap him again for some extra points.

I found a couple other things out:

1. You get an extra life every 20K.
2. The bottom prize maxes out at 4K.
LarcenTyler
-Every time you grab a treasure, the police will stop for about a second or two. Use this to gain a head start before they come after you. Just don't run into their clutches.

-Don't always try to trap the police, you'll just wind up getting captured in the end. Only do it if you have the chance, and remember the last door you pass by (the lines on the side of the walls) will be the one you shut. For the most part, just focus on avoiding them.

-Since the police are all the same, they have no preset patterns (at least not from what I see.) Try to mix up your maneuvers to catch them off guard.
Random Terrain
People should also remember that trapping a cop for 2000 points gives them the same amount of head start time as grabbing treasure.

Another thing that may not be clear to a newbie is that the Upper Treasure will appear based on the number of Gold Bars collected. So you can plan on collecting Gold Bars closer to the Upper Treasure area when you feel you've collected almost enough to make the Upper Treasure appear.

Understanding that I could have counted wrong and I might be off by a bit, the first Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect 16 Gold Bars. The second Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect another 34 Gold Bars. The third Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect 28 more Gold Bars. And the fourth Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect an additional 16 Gold Bars. Here are the numbers again:

The Lower Treasure doesn't seem to be affected by the number of Gold Bars collected. It comes up at what seems like regular intervals.

--Zero

It always brightens my day when I think I have the lead, only to come back to the HSC forum and see that Deteacher has posted... ;)

post-17553-1227137560_thumb.png

I can say the very same thing, except replace "Deteacher" with "Toymailman." ;)

Besides, you totally trounced me last week in Reactor. WTG! :)

Edited by Deteacher

It always brightens my day when I think I have the lead, only to come back to the HSC forum and see that Deteacher has posted... ;)

Besides, you totally trounced me last week in Reactor. WTG! :)

Thanks! Toymailman, just decided to crush ALL of us in Reactor...

I still need a few more "good" weeks to catch up in the overall standings, though. :)

23,520 :D

That's too funny! :D

Hmmm...I should probably read the manual too. What is "trapping the cop"? I haven't tried this feature yet.

I have a cop trapped in the lower left in this screenshot:

post-17553-1227178416_thumb.png

The manual states that you only get the 2,000 points for trapping a cop "once per screen." That's not quite true. If you trap a cop, but then die later on that board, you can trap him again on the same board with your next life and get another 2,000. So, my first tip would be to try to trap a cop right away. Then if you happen to die, you can trap him again for some extra points.

I hope that's not considered "point scumming." If it is, then I promise not to do it again.

New High for me (I'm sure it'll be short lived, once Toy learns how to trap a cop.) ;)

post-9712-1227190679_thumb.jpg

Edit:

27,000. Now that's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it!

By the way, here are a couple of personal tips:

-Every time you grab a treasure, the police will stop for about a second or two. Use this to gain a head start before they come after you. Just don't run into their clutches.

-Don't always try to trap the police, you'll just wind up getting captured in the end. Only do it if you have the chance, and remember the last door you pass by (the lines on the side of the walls) will be the one you shut. For the most part, just focus on avoiding them.

-Since the police are all the same, they have no preset patterns (at least not from what I see.) Try to mix up your maneuvers to catch them off guard.

Edited by LarcenTyler

nows my chance to get a top score whoo hoo one of the games I'm good at now if I can find myy score sheet and compare with my scores here and yes i'll play it too as soon as i find my vcr remote

(score sheet score 39,000) not even close to my score sheet score 13620

post-19425-1227313676_thumb.png

as for the cop trapping i used to try to do it as often as possible even if i don't get the bonus 2k 3 on 1 is better odds than 4 on 1 (see 39,000)

take your pick what score you want to use

Edited by LoneWolfSeth

Hey, where do we make requests for High Score Challenges? I'd like to see Ram It or Cosmic Commuter in the next update. To be honest, Lock 'n Chase is kind of lame, as are most of the M Network releases.

Simply send a PM to Ze_ro. :)

We haven't played Ram It (that I can remember), but Cosmic Commuter was done not too long ago.

Lock-N-Chase could be better if the AI wasn't so brutal. With four enemies all homing in on you at the same time it is tough to develop any strategy or pattern.

By the way, here are a couple of personal tips:

People should also remember that trapping a cop for 2000 points gives them the same amount of head start time as grabbing treasure.

Another thing that may not be clear to a newbie is that the Upper Treasure will appear based on the number of Gold Bars collected. So you can plan on collecting Gold Bars closer to the Upper Treasure area when you feel you've collected almost enough to make the Upper Treasure appear.

Understanding that I could have counted wrong and I might be off by a bit, the first Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect 16 Gold Bars. The second Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect another 34 Gold Bars. The third Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect 28 more Gold Bars. And the fourth Upper Treasure seems to appear after you collect an additional 16 Gold Bars. Here are the numbers again:

The Lower Treasure doesn't seem to be affected by the number of Gold Bars collected. It comes up at what seems like regular intervals.

Edited by Random Terrain

This game blows goats. Seriously, the Blue Sky Rangers must have taken the same attitude toward designing 2600 games that a death row inmate takes toward his appointment with the chair.

I stab at thee with a rubber banana. Do you mean it blows goats because it doesn't look and play like the arcade version? I like the Atari 2600 version. There are no stupid doors opening and closing on you. The graphics are clean and easy to see instead of that cutesy mess you get with the arcade version. I even like the Atari 2600 sounds better. Speaking of the Atari 2600, there is no flicker. That's something you don't usually see with maze games of this type. I'd rather play Lock 'n' Chase than Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, or Jr. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600.

And I forgot to mention one of the best parts. You get to trap the cops. It's fun even when you don't get 2,000 points.

Edited by Random Terrain