Photo

Making a rom hack on mac os x

5 replies to this topic

#1 GameboyReviewer OFFLINE  

GameboyReviewer

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 PM

I've been trying to make a game for awhile and I wanted to do a hack but have no clue where to start, i've tried jedit but am having trouble I remember with my old pc it was easy but man its so hard with mac os x \, please you guys are my only hope.

#2 EarthQuake OFFLINE  

EarthQuake

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts
  • Praising Nukey

Posted Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:58 AM

Any hex editor will work and I'm certain there are hex editors for a Mac. Just google around.

#3 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,770 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:38 AM

If it's a hex editor you want, try HexEdit. It's free and has been around for years.

http://hexedit.sourceforge.net/

#4 GameboyReviewer OFFLINE  

GameboyReviewer

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 98 posts

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:05 PM

I have no clue what to do lol I've been using hac-o-matic on my fiance's laptop trying to get a handle on it

#5 EarthQuake OFFLINE  

EarthQuake

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts
  • Praising Nukey

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:40 PM

Hack-o-Matic is just an elaborate hex editor.

The basic idea is to open a ROM binary and look for patterns that resemble the graphics in-game. You need to make sure you're in viewing it in "bit mode", so you can see the bit patterns of the graphics. Hex-editing isn't too useful for anything else other than graphics though, unless you know the location of bytes that control other things. Usually a disassembly of the ROM aids in that, but you need a decent understanding of assembly and the 2600's internal workings.

If you really want to do something substantial, find a game that already has a commented disassembly available, grab a copy of the DASM compiler, and start modifying code. That's what I did. :lol:

Edited by EarthQuake, Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:41 PM.

#6 Bakasama OFFLINE  

Bakasama

Stargunner

• 1,440 posts
  • Alcohol is Free

Posted Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:57 PM

I got Hexedit and some patches to some arcade ROMs. The patches are suppose to fix bugs that result in kill screens or reset the machine. Since I didn't know what kind of programs patch ROM for Mac OS X. So I thought I could edit the hex values since I kind of read the memory locations. Okay, sounds like a good idea but ROMs get messed up. The Robotron fix at least playable but the game will reset at some point.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users