IGNORED

Lynx Adapter

Jakenut86

You realize those are emulators that just read the ROM off an actual cart, yes? An emulator is a emulator regardless if it reads carts or uses ROM files. I'm not sure which point you are trying to make here.

Also, I said nothing about making an argument about carts vs emulation. My point is around trying to play Lynx games in a way they were not originally designed, that is on a TV instead of the Lynx. Apples and oranges.

Man, do you read before you fire off your negativity?

"These are linux/android boxes that can read ROM data off a cart slot.
"

That is an odd stance IMO. Gameboy PC emulators are extremely popular for a reason. To each their own I guess. Those old LCD (and or dot matrix) screens will all be dead in 10 to 20 years. I'm trying to highlight that this is an important aspect of the hobby regarding preservation. I also want to kick back on my couch and enjoy these games on a big flat screen not squinting my eyes, versus on a 20+ year old handheld where I'm praying the caps don't burst at any moments along with dead pixels.

I still have my OG GB from Christmas of 1990. It works. I never turn it on. I emulate GB games often using a USB controller on my flat screen.

Sorry that you interpret facts as negativity.

I'm not sure I understand your POV here. You're for or against my idea of just using an emulator to play Lynx games on a TV? I said just use an emulator and then you countered saying emulators don't hold water for everyone and then you talked about devices that use emulation.

• Like 1

Sorry that you interpret facts as negativity.

I'm not sure I understand your POV here. You're for or against my idea of just using an emulator to play Lynx games on a TV? I said just use an emulator and then you countered saying emulators don't hold water for everyone and then you talked about devices that use emulation.

You asked me a condescending question, about a line item that I had already mentioned (yes, I know they're emus reading cart ROM data). I'd say that's negative or just not reading & still commenting. In many threads you state facts to back up your opinion on a subject. That's sound conversation. Then when others do the same, and you don't get their interpretation of their facts, or even their pure opinion, you get defensive or imply others are wrong or have subpar viewpoints. There doesn't always have to be wrong or right.

I'm totally for the idea of using an emu to play Lynx games on a TV. I do it now. I also find the idea of playing Lynx games on the Jaguar (although not likely) or actual Lynx carts on device such as the Retron 5 interesting. Again, no right or wrong. I see both sides.

A large chunk of folks using the Retron 5 have the actual system hardware & other ways to emulate (PC, pi, modded Wii, modded oXbox). Does it necessarily "make sense" for them to own the Retron 5 ... up to the buyer to decide, not just you.

Playing physical Lynx games on the TV via hardware might not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't want to experience it and pay money for said experience.

You asked me a condescending question, about a line item that I had already mentioned (yes, I know they're emus reading cart ROM data). I'd say that's negative or just not reading & still commenting. In many threads you state facts to back up your opinion on a subject. That's sound conversation. Then when others do the same, and you don't get their interpretation of their facts, or even their pure opinion, you get defensive or imply others are wrong or have subpar viewpoints. There doesn't always have to be wrong or right.

I'm totally for the idea of using an emu to play Lynx games on a TV. I do it now. I also find the idea of playing Lynx games on the Jaguar (although not likely) or actual Lynx carts on device such as the Retron 5 interesting. Again, no right or wrong. I see both sides.

A large chunk of folks using the Retron 5 have the actual system hardware & other ways to emulate (PC, pi, modded Wii, modded oXbox). Does it necessarily "make sense" for them to own the Retron 5 ... up to the buyer to decide, not just you.

Playing physical Lynx games on the TV via hardware might not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't want to experience it and pay money for said experience.

You tell him hahaha but guys seriously, it's just speculation, cool it :P

Furrtek created a Lynx to TV project (and maybe others did too?). I don't know how many it sold and / or were constructed but not many I believe. I can see this sort of thing being 'cool' but it'd make a lot more sense (for example) to create a similar sort of cart that allows Megadrive/Genesis games to work on the Jag (utilising the 68000 perhaps). As much as I love the Lynx it really doesn't have the volume of games nor the pervasive interest by gamers to make it worth it to even consider breaking even.

Furrtek created a Lynx to TV project (and maybe others did too?). I don't know how many it sold and / or were constructed but not many I believe. I can see this sort of thing being 'cool' but it'd make a lot more sense (for example) to create a similar sort of cart that allows Megadrive/Genesis games to work on the Jag (utilising the 68000 perhaps). As much as I love the Lynx it really doesn't have the volume of games nor the pervasive interest by gamers to make it worth it to even consider breaking even.

Are you referring to the VGA mod kit?

The great thing about this thread is learning about cool combo carts for other systems. Just ordered a RetroGen. Naturally I have the Super Gameboy adaptor. I don't know why,I don't really play games anymore... or will I? :D Maybe just fascinated by it.

I talked to the makers of the Retron5 and said that there would be a lot of interest in having a system that could play Lynx games on the big screen. The response back was full of a lot of no interest but basically seemed to say back "Not enough interest"

And if you are honest with yourself for one minute you realize it is true. Lynx really was a niche system.

Thanks for sharing that. Cool they responded back.

Yeah, Lynx sold what, 3 million units compared to the Game Gear at 10 or 11 million IIRC?

I think the draw would be more towards new folks wanting to get into the Lynx versus previous Lynx owners. I really need to dive deeper into the library. I knew of the Lynx in its prime, but never had the chance to play one until around 2012. I was just a little late :lol:. I only knew 2 kids with GameGears & it blew my mind as a kid. Didn't have any buddies with a Lynx.

• Like 1

The 90's for me was starting work, college, etc. So I didn't have the money to start collecting till about 1999 and that is when I got a Lynx.

Knew of one person in the 90's with a GameGear, saw a Lynx in the stores but not one in person till the late 90s.

• Like 1

I talked to the makers of the Retron5 and said that there would be a lot of interest in having a system that could play Lynx games on the big screen. The response back was full of a lot of no interest but basically seemed to say back "Not enough interest"

And if you are honest with yourself for one minute you realize it is true. Lynx really was a niche system.

Exactly, realistically there's little demand for these things. It's almost a niche within a niche.