IGNORED

Tempest clone - typhoon 2001 - any new developments?

Keatah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEBIsr_GIpA

This game was really challenging for me to record since my video card doesn't have component out (I normally use a hauppauge hd-pvr). I tried out Fraps to record it. This is a much better recording than the last one. This is gameplay of Typhoon 2001 which pays homage to Tempest 2000 for the Atari Jaguar which was a remake of the Tempest arcade game by Atari. If you're wondering why the web rotates, it's a game option. Dave Theurer mentioned that Tempest was originally designed to have the web rotate while the ship stayed still, but changed it because he thought people would get nauseous. This game runs beautifully at 1920x1080+ resolutions with antialiasing and at 100+ fps. I used Fraps to record it but to keep the file size manageable, I played the game at 1280x720 and recorded at half resolution (640x360) and kept it at 60 fps. I then used Handbrake to convert it to h.264 MP4. Originally, it was at the recorded resolution with black borders around it to make it 1280x720, but Handbrake cropped out the black area and blew up the remaining video to 1280x720. Also, Youtube caps videos at 30 fps. The game looks much better running natively on a PC without the overhead of recording. But watch at 720P if you can (even though it's fake 720P).

Edited by onlysublime

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

i went back to this game to play with a vertical monitor.

man! have you guys tried this game with your monitor oriented vertically??? you guys have to try it. It totally changes the look of the game! somehow, it made the game almost project out toward me. if your monitor doesn't have a rotate function, just prop it vertically. especially easy if it's a light LCD monitor. just try it one time!

and turn on the web rotation as well. that makes a difference!

• 4 months later...

Sucks that the author dropped off the face of the earth. But you can download the latest version r3991 here, though it says 3992, it's really 3991. -- http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1289.0 -- or -- http://www.quartercircleforward.com/typhoon-2000-2001-retro-remake-of-tempest-with-download/ --.

And you can see the original website courtesy of WayBack Machine -- http://web.archive.org/web/20110511052240/http://typhoon.kuto.de/download.html -- A colorful page with decent documentation.

Game on!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Unfortunately, MS got out of the business of selling trackballs. Here's what my trackball looks like:

ms-trackball-optical-thumb1.jpg

These Microsoft trackballs are really popular with the diehard owners so the used trackballs sell for hundreds. I tried to bid on eBay for used trackballs but when the price would constantly go over $100, it was too rich for my blood. I got the trackball by accident actually. An office was clearing out old hardware and I saw this and claimed it. I intended on keeping it as a backup mouse in case my regular mouse died. While I was waiting for a new mouse to come in the mail, I was stuck with the trackball and now I prefer the trackball over a regular mouse. I love it because the secondary buttons are very easy to use and the Intellipoint mapping software has no equal.

The closest thing to the Microsoft trackball is the Logitech one which sells for much cheaper than the MS one:

logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

I have nothing major against the Logitech design. The key mapping software could be better. And the secondary buttons all favor the index finger and are small so in a major firefight, it's easy to hit the wrong button whereas with the Microsoft one, you just have to hit in a vicinity to get the right button since the button is so large.

I like the thumb design versus the trackball where you use your palm or middle fingers:

18323.png

14710.png

I hated having to move my whole hand with the ball in the middle. It'd get tired after a long day of work or gaming. It's also much harder to do drag and drop operations in a desktop environment with the palm design. and good luck with using both primary and secondary buttons on the palm design while moving in a firefight. Plus, I had nightmare flashbacks to my hand getting caught in the crevice like in Centipede... icon_razz.gif

I know this is an old thread but I just found out about this version of Tempest 2000 not too long ago and thanks to my homemade spinner box which the game natively supports (which every ver of tempest SHOULD!) and with the added "point of view hat" at the right side corner of the box for joystick left/right/up/down control for the bonus rounds this is now by far my favorite game now AND of all time !

1.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

This game rocks with the speed and precision of a spinner controller like a SpinTrack !!! This version is better in every way than my previous fav game Tempest 2000 on the jag !!!

Edited by Tempest Nut
  • Like 1