Photo

RIF SpartaDOS Utilities

14 replies to this topic

#1 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,579 posts

Posted Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:11 PM

Here's a disk image of some SpartaDOS utilities I wrote back in the nineties. This disk is in the Page 6 Magazine PD Library but I thought I'd offer another download link since I'm dusting off my old Atari programs. I might be able to dig out source code for anyone who's interested.

RIF SpartaDOS Utilities

The programs are all compatible with SpartaDOS X but should work well with earlier SpartaDOS versions. I had some trouble opening the text files on the disk using the DOS the image boots with, but they appear to read OK under SpartaDOS X. Much of the functionality of these programs has probably been duplicated or bettered by the latest SpartaDOS X updates but there may be something of interest here nevertheless.

Enjoy!

Edited by flashjazzcat, Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:16 PM.

#2 bf2k+ OFFLINE  

bf2k+

Stargunner

• 1,746 posts

Posted Tue Dec 2, 2008 9:06 PM

Very nice! I am working on a few new SD utils myself.

#3 bf2k+ OFFLINE  

bf2k+

Stargunner

• 1,746 posts

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008 9:26 AM

I have to say that I REALLY love your little SpartaDOS EDITor program! It seems to have more features than anything I have used up to now.

Great work!

#4 twh/f2 OFFLINE  

twh/f2

Dragonstomper

• 607 posts

Posted Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:01 AM

Hey Jonathan,

when I use the flash.com utility the cursor starts blinking only after the first keystroke. Is that by design or is there something wrong with my configuration?

grtx,
\twh

#5 twh/f2 OFFLINE  

twh/f2

Dragonstomper

• 607 posts

Posted Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:04 AM

Hey Jonathan,

one more question. What is your "The MA65 Macro Assembler for SpartaDOS" ? A command line enabled MAC65? I wish I could use my favourite text editor (like edit or you tools) and build the artifacts using a "make" kind of utility in SpartaDOS. That would be nice :)

grtx,
\twh

#6 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,579 posts

Posted Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:15 PM

I have to say that I REALLY love your little SpartaDOS EDITor program! It seems to have more features than anything I have used up to now.

Great work!

Glad you like it! I'm only sorry I appear not to have the source code among my converted disks :(

Hey Jonathan,

when I use the flash.com utility the cursor starts blinking only after the first keystroke. Is that by design or is there something wrong with my configuration?

grtx,
\twh

No, it's not by design. I've been testing the FLASH.COM program in an emulator and it does seem a bit flaky, although I haven't encountered the problem of the cursor not flashing until the first keystroke. I'll try and look into it...

Hey Jonathan,

one more question. What is your "The MA65 Macro Assembler for SpartaDOS" ? A command line enabled MAC65? I wish I could use my favourite text editor (like edit or you tools) and build the artifacts using a "make" kind of utility in SpartaDOS. That would be nice :)

grtx,
\twh

Yes, MA65 is a command-line enabled macro assembler and it should enable you to do everything you want. There's also an enhanced version of EDIT called "XEDIT" which was used to write the source code for The Last Word. I'll release both programs tomorrow. :)

#7 Larry ONLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 3,852 posts

Posted Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:08 AM

Here's a disk image of some SpartaDOS utilities I wrote back in the nineties. This disk is in the Page 6 Magazine PD Library but I thought I'd offer another download link since I'm dusting off my old Atari programs. I might be able to dig out source code for anyone who's interested.

RIF SpartaDOS Utilities

The programs are all compatible with SpartaDOS X but should work well with earlier SpartaDOS versions. I had some trouble opening the text files on the disk using the DOS the image boots with, but they appear to read OK under SpartaDOS X. Much of the functionality of these programs has probably been duplicated or bettered by the latest SpartaDOS X updates but there may be something of interest here nevertheless.

Enjoy!

Very nice Sparta utilities! Thanks so much. Clearly you spent some serious time developing these! And ditto, all the compliments about EDIT.COM.

-Larry

#8 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,579 posts

Posted Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:35 AM

Very nice Sparta utilities! Thanks so much. Clearly you spent some serious time developing these! And ditto, all the compliments about EDIT.COM.

-Larry

Thank you! If you like EDIT.COM, you might enjoy XEDIT.COM, which you can find alongside the MA65 Assembler, just released here:

MA65 SpartaDOS Assembler and XEDIT

Hope you like it!

#9 twh/f2 OFFLINE  

twh/f2

Dragonstomper

• 607 posts

Posted Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:47 PM

No, it's not by design. I've been testing the FLASH.COM program in an emulator and it does seem a bit flaky, although I haven't encountered the problem of the cursor not flashing until the first keystroke. I'll try and look into it...

mhm. strange. I could not bring the flash-utility to work properly on my setup :( ..

however, here: http://atariarea.krap.pl/
respectively here: http://atariarea.kra.../files/toys.zip

is a nice blink-cursor utility which works really nice.

grtx,
\twh

#10 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,579 posts

Posted Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:23 PM

mhm. strange. I could not bring the flash-utility to work properly on my setup :( ..

however, here: http://atariarea.krap.pl/
respectively here: http://atariarea.kra.../files/toys.zip

is a nice blink-cursor utility which works really nice.

grtx,
\twh

Really nice site - thanks for the link! The cursor blink utility works really well - all I will say is that the cursor still blinks when moving so is easier to lose. :P

Anyway, I'll have to disassemble mine to see why it doesn't work - I can't find the source code.

#11 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,579 posts

Posted Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 AM

Here's another SDX utility which emerged from the woodwork today:

Attached File  qcd.zip   3.09KB   72 downloads

It's a clone of some MS-DOS utility from years back. You can type:

QCD <Dn:><folder name>

on the command line and the program will scan the entire directory tree for the first folder which maches the target name. The matching folder will then become the working directory.

If you specify no parameters, you get a full-screen interface:

atari001.png

You can navigate the tree using the cursor keys, and select the target folder with <Return>. "Speed Search" is what we all take for granted now: you can start typing a folder name and the cursor will actively target the first folder containing those characters as a sub-string.

I can't even find the source code for this one ATM (I wrote it in the late nineties), but it seems to work OK and is great for hard disks with deeply nested directory trees. The program writes a file containing the directory structure to the root of the drive, so it doesn't have to recursively rebuild the tree every time it runs. You can re-scan the tree, of course, if the folder structure has changed.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 AM.

#12 576XE OFFLINE  

576XE

Dragonstomper

• 741 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 AM

Hi there FJC !

How do you think, does tdit or xedit is workable with con64?

(I just need 64col editor for SDX...)

zen

#13 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 12,579 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 AM

Hi there FJC !

How do you think, does tdit or xedit is workable with con64?

(I just need 64col editor for SDX...)

zen

Definitely not, since it writes directly to the screen RAM. I intend to write one which works with the SDX drivers... one day.

#14 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,516 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 PM

Now that I see this thread and the link to MA65 you are officially awared to be "the man who wrote every utility in the word - at least once" :-)

#15 576XE OFFLINE  

576XE

Dragonstomper

• 741 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:57 AM

Thank you for fast and exhaustive reply. :)

You are The Man! FJC.

By the way, how do you think, is it possible to create some cart based modern terminal device

that gets from Atari only kbd input and current program values, then calculate all process itself and returns fully prepared data to 64 Cols E: ?

As you know Atari loves clever devices. :)

zen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users