IGNORED

Visiting Rick Weis COMPUTER SPACE arcade machine

TomBrazil

Hello Guys,

Its been a long time I don't post or read anything here due to lack of time, I used to visit mainly Atari 2600, Marketplace and Auctions forums.

However, I've found this topic quite interesting. On November 18th, 2008, I've visited Rick Weis and we went to Ground Kontrol, Portland, to play some old arcades and forcely watch Guitar Hero/ Rock Band doubtful presentations - hehe.

I was luck, however, on having a chance to see - AND PLAY - Rick's new acquisition, COMPUTER SPACE for 2 players. I understand this is tremendously rare, as I researched on KLOV:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10558

Well, Rick's collection deserves such a rare and interesting arcade, and Rick is surely a hell of a nice guy.

That's it for now... I have some videos, but I didn't have the time to edit them yet. Additionally, I'm posting some pictures of us playing at Ground Kontrol.

Cheers,

post-6332-1228602569_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602575_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602581_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602588_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602593_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602744_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602759_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602764_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602769_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1228602774_thumb.jpg

I was there 2 weeks ago and somehow I did not see it. And by looking at the picture it is within 15 feet of the game I always go there to play (Skate or Die). I think I will go there tomorrow and try Computer Space. Great Post!

That Computer Space is sitting in Rick's game room. :ponder:

I was there 2 weeks ago and somehow I did not see it. And by looking at the picture it is within 15 feet of the game I always go there to play (Skate or Die). I think I will go there tomorrow and try Computer Space. Great Post!

That Computer Space is sitting in Rick's game room. :ponder:

Yeah, you are right. It looked like it was right in front of the games for sale and to the side of the bar at first glance. Guess I should have looked a little harder. :ponder:

Edited by cougar302b

That Computer Space is sitting in Rick's game room.

Yup....sure looks nice in there..sniff sniff :(

Seriously, Rick. Looks great and I am really glad to see folks playing it. They were made to be played.

CN

Ah, that was your unit once, wasn´t it Cassidy? It stood in your game room! Oh man, for me the

Computer Space is the best looking Arcade machine ever! :love:

I really debated buying a Blue that was in my area a few years ago, when it comes down to it I just didn't want to deal with having to repair it (you know these games must need constant repairs) When I see pictures of them I kind of regret it. Would be a great work of art for my gameroom :)

A blue one....... :lust: :love: :lust:

I really debated buying a Blue that was in my area a few years ago, when it comes down to it I just didn't want to deal with having to repair it (you know these games must need constant repairs) When I see pictures of them I kind of regret it. Would be a great work of art for my gameroom :)

Here is the original link, looks like the pic is gone though

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=Computer+Space

That was careless not to pick it up........ ;)

If I remember I think it was only $1000, now I am getting mad thinking about it :x

A blue one....... :lust::love::lust:

If I remember I think it was only $1000, now I am getting mad thinking about it :x

1087.gif

Wow! I'd love to visit those machines. The last time I saw two connected Computer Space was back in 1986 at the Atari Arcade in the Vancouver World's Fair in 1986. Most of the crowd was gathered around this new game called Gauntlet but towards the very back of the long building was a roped off area for receiving and servicing. They had two computer space cabinets connected and powered off. I think they must have intended to put them on display but decided against it for some reason. Perhaps it's because the game is too hard to understand, or because the monitors were very dim.

I plugged them in and put a coin in and something happened, and I could tell the game was a slow moving SpaceWar of some kind, but I didn't get the hang of it before time ran out.

Still a cool experience and I was kind of secretly hoping I might get kicked out of the arcade. I think going to the world's fair and getting kicked out of the Atari arcade would have been a good nerdy story.

Edited by FastRobPlus

They are fairly robust machines, believe it or not. Considering they are the first of their kind (I don't count the Galaxy terminals at Stanford as arcades) they share much of the architecture the industry still follows to this day. The monitor has its own power supply/transformer, the power supply, harness, marquee lighting, speaker and control panel, coin cutter, etc. Granted the coin collection has changed a bit....the original terpentine can that collects coins in Ricks machine (still there) could not hold what Pac Man would see in a week by the early 80's (Ms. Pacs were bolted into the cabinet because at about 400 in quarters Pac Man buckets would rip out and short the bottom of the game).

ComputerSpaceFan's site is great, lots of super tips on there about keeping one running. I posted a how to swap flybacks out on the tv's here not too long ago.

Man Rick, I really do need to get down your way next I am out in Seattle. That collection is to die for!

CN

• 3 weeks later...

OOPS!!! I meant 720. I always say that because that is the most memorable part of one of my favorite games.

• 2 weeks later...