IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Some background on this poll.

The most expensive part of these is the Speakjet chip itself, so it was my suggestion to him to combine the two in one so someone could just buy one unit and use it for both platforms. People might even be able to cannibalize the speakjet from their single-purpose units for a combo unit.

Richard is looking for someone to take over most of the manufacturing duties of these. Knowing that I'm a big advocate of the speech synth, he contacted me about this a few months back and I was sympathetic. However, he's already got someone on the Vectrex side who has agreed to make more VecVoxes, and he has an existing arrangement with AtariAge. So everything is kind of stuck in limbo.

It's my opinion that having three derivative products available at once (an additional run of traditional Atarivoxes, Vecvoxes, and combo units) is just plain silly for a niche market like this, let alone coming out through three different sources, with Richard still stuck in the middle in some kind of support capacity.

I may be able to start shipping Cybertech A/V mods soon. I haven't played with the prototype yet, but I convinced Chris to build an integrated AtariVox mixer circuit into it, so it would make sense for me to offer the AtariVox combo unit as a bundle.

So please share your comments.

• 2 months later...

OK, finally got enough cash together to get some boards made. They will be the combined Atari / Vectrex version.

A DIP switch inside the case selects the 3 modes of operation -

VecVoice (SPO256 emulation)

VecVox

AtariVox

It shouldn't increase the price, as there's just 2 additional components - DIP switch and a surface mount PIC micro.

The PIC is used for the SPO256 look-up table, drop baud rates (Vec mode 9600, AVox 19200) and to invert some signals.

OK, finally got enough cash together to get some boards made. They will be the combined Atari / Vectrex version.

A DIP switch inside the case selects the 3 modes of operation -

VecVoice (SPO256 emulation)

VecVox

AtariVox

It shouldn't increase the price, as there's just 2 additional components - DIP switch and a surface mount PIC micro.

The PIC is used for the SPO256 look-up table, drop baud rates (Vec mode 9600, AVox 19200) and to invert some signals.

This is excellent news!! Always wanted a VecVox..and now it's gonna be combined with AtariVox!!! Whooohooooo COOOOL

Can we preorder? do we already know the price? when is the expected sale rate?

sorry for the questions :P hehe

thanks

Shouldn't be too long. I need to send a built one to Glenn (who will be making / distributing them). I'll do that next week when the PCB's get here.

Do you have any thoughts about a practical way to use an Atarivox plus a second joystick?

I have absolutely no idea how to do it. That, and the fact that the case doesn't support 2 connectors.

If you have a circuit, I'd be willing to make some PCB's for a separate adaptor. Such a thing would have many uses I think.

Shouldn't be too long. I need to send a built one to Glenn (who will be making / distributing them). I'll do that next week when the PCB's get here.

Very cool! That's excellent news!

Can't wait for it...always wanted a VecVox and combined with AtariVox it will be super cool!!!!

Please Richard keep us posted :D

thanks

So I guess we'll use the dip switches to decide if we want atari or vectrex vox?

Yes, that's it. You'll know what mode it's in as it speaks it out loud.

Any other improvements/changes comparing with the old version?

Not really. Don't know if Glenn wants to put in a bigger EEPROM in the production version (32K is probably adequate though).

Does the Vecvox use the EEPROM?

No, the VecVoice / VecVox didn't / don't contain EEPROM.

The EEPROM in the AVII could be used by the Vec. Just needs a driver (I wish Alex was still around, he'd knock one up in next to no time).

Some pages at the end of the list could be reserved for Vec games to avoid conflict with stored Atari files.

Edited by Richard H.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...