IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

For those who haven't seen the VecVox / VecVoice (modes within the AVox 2), here they are in action -

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I plan to make these over the summer when my daughter will be away and I'll have more free time. More details soon.

Schools out, these done yet?!?

Just funnin with you, anxiety is getting to me waiting for this item.

Now schools back in, might as well bump this up, maybe see if it generates a spark.

Or maybe I missed something.

• 1 month later...

I think I'll bump this thread for now.

I have almost all the parts and tools I need to start building AtariVoxes again.

I just put in an order for 20 SpeakJet chips. I have to order these in small batches because they are like $24-25 a pop.

But I have a TON of other components. 250+ black cases and 20 cream ones. I just put in an order for 1,000 PCBs. Black PCBs with red silkscreen like Stella Gets a New Brain. I already have 20 green PCBs here that Richard made.

So this is coming along and more details will follow.

Edited by mos6507

I think I'll bump this thread for now.

I have almost all the parts and tools I need to start building AtariVoxes again.

I just put in an order for 20 SpeakJet chips. I have to order these in small batches because they are like $24-25 a pop.

But I have a TON of other components. 250+ black cases and 20 cream ones. I just put in an order for 1,000 PCBs. Black PCBs with red silkscreen like Stella Gets a New Brain. I already have 20 green PCBs here that Richard made.

So this is coming along and more details will follow.

Do you think there is a market for 1000 AtariVOXes, or can the PCBs be used for other purposes?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really wanting one of these things! How much will they cost?

The Speakjet chip itself is $25 so I can't go any lower than that. I think the DB9 extension cable is going to be the biggest expense besides the Speakjet chip. If anyone knows where I can get those in bulk, let me know.

• 3 months later...

I built a lot of these and then had to decide whether to sell them directly or work through AA. AA, as you know, had the store down for a while. I wanted to hold a label contest but things didn't seem like they were going anywhere so I abandoned the idea and it looks like Nathan will whip up something so we can get it into the store. I still need to sit myself down and do a full QA pass of the boards I've built so far as well as take the new dremel I bought and file down the 99 DB9 extension cables I have (for Vectrex users). Then I'll be in a position to ship everything I have to AA.

After I finished this batch, BTW, I lost my job. This has stalled the A/V mod project that Chris was working on for me, and since Longhorn is so far along with his mods, I'm not sure it's a good idea to return to it when my cashflow returns. After I send the batch I have (well over 100 pieces) to AA I still have a lot more Speakjet chips to build a second batch, and hundreds of extra PCBs. The first few dozen or so boards were built with the full retail price Speakjets but then I got a really good deal on 250 straight from the source. Originally I was going to use up all 250 of the Speakjet chips (for about 300 total boards manufactured) but I'd rather wait to see how this batch sell before making more.