IGNORED

AtariVox rev2

Richard H.

Add Vectrex support to the AtariVox?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vectrex support added to the AtariVox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I built a lot of these and then had to decide whether to sell them directly or work through AA. AA, as you know, had the store down for a while. I wanted to hold a label contest but things didn't seem like they were going anywhere so I abandoned the idea and it looks like Nathan will whip up something so we can get it into the store. I still need to sit myself down and do a full QA pass of the boards I've built so far as well as take the new dremel I bought and file down the 99 DB9 extension cables I have (for Vectrex users). Then I'll be in a position to ship everything I have to AA.

After I finished this batch, BTW, I lost my job. This has stalled the A/V mod project that Chris was working on for me, and since Longhorn is so far along with his mods, I'm not sure it's a good idea to return to it when my cashflow returns. After I send the batch I have (well over 100 pieces) to AA I still have a lot more Speakjet chips to build a second batch, and hundreds of extra PCBs. The first few dozen or so boards were built with the full retail price Speakjets but then I got a really good deal on 250 straight from the source. Originally I was going to use up all 250 of the Speakjet chips (for about 300 total boards manufactured) but I'd rather wait to see how this batch sell before making more.

I'll be buying one. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. There's a lot of that going around (including my wife).

• 1 month later...

I'll definitely buy one; I've been wanting to get my hands on an AtariVox for a long time so I can enjoy Juno First to the fullest when I get it! :)

by the way...how is this project going?

Are we going to see the AtariVox ready any time soon? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a lot of things going on in the real world lately. I've been unemployed since Thanksgiving and I've had so much difficulty finding work I'm considering giving up my career as a web programmer. So I've been stressed lately, so much so that I actually wound up in the ER a couple months ago over what I thought at the time was a heart attack. So I'm trying to get my life in order before I can really get back into hobbies. I won't issue any new ETAs other than to say that the next time I post an update, it will be to announce that I am ready to send them off or have already sent them off to AA. I'll get to it, but it has to bubble up through my priority list.

No worries. I didn't mean to pressure you I was just showing interest in the product. In fact, I totally understand as I'm going through a very similar situation with the lack of employment and the sense of futility of it all while the bills pile up (blah, blah, blah). I hope everything works out for you and you can get yourself back on your feet again. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've had a lot of things going on in the real world lately. I've been unemployed since Thanksgiving and I've had so much difficulty finding work I'm considering giving up my career as a web programmer. So I've been stressed lately, so much so that I actually wound up in the ER a couple months ago over what I thought at the time was a heart attack. So I'm trying to get my life in order before I can really get back into hobbies. I won't issue any new ETAs other than to say that the next time I post an update, it will be to announce that I am ready to send them off or have already sent them off to AA. I'll get to it, but it has to bubble up through my priority list.

just a sugestion... There are companies that do PCB assembly for you, most of them work by offering free drafting software for converting schematics to a pcb layout, then use an auto ordering system to transmit the data to the company. Prices are usualy a fee for the service, plus a per board cost (going down in bulk of course).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didnt realize this thread was 2 and a half years old.

Has this been scrapped, or is there still hope?

I'll be doing Vox2 from this point on. Expect it to be in full swing by next year. I've got another large project on the table yet, and it needs to be completed before I add this to my projects. I will try to have enough for the Blue 21 release this year however.

Thanks,

AX

• Like 2

I'll be doing Vox2 from this point on. Expect it to be in full swing by next year. I've got another large project on the table yet, and it needs to be completed before I add this to my projects. I will try to have enough for the Blue 21 release this year however.

Thanks,

AX

Ive been so waiting for this! I guess waiting more aint going to hurt.

Thanks,

AX

What kind of improvements will be available with the Vox2? Will it be inserted via the catridge port instead of the 2nd controller port to allow 2-player and Vox capabilities? Even if it isn't planned could this be done or would that make it non-backwards compatible with existing Vox games?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many of the first Vox were sold?

What kind of improvements will be available with the Vox2?

With a dipswitch adjustment it's compatible with Vectrex as well.

Will it be inserted via the catridge port instead of the 2nd controller port to allow 2-player and Vox capabilities? Even if it isn't planned could this be done or would that make it non-backwards compatible with existing Vox games?

It would make it non-backwards compatible. Additionally, it would add significantly to the cost, as interfacing to cartridge port lines that are already in-use would require more complex hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
It is possible that a 2 player version will be made. I've already worked with this issue for using it internally on the 7800 project. As rev said, the main feature of this version is that it is for both Atari and VecX.

Do you have any idea how many games use AtariVox for speech but don't "hit" the EEPROM chip first? It would be nice to have an adapter that could auto-detect a cart as either being designed for normal joystick/paddles, normal AtariVox, or special AtariVox-plus-joystick protocol. Unfortunately, the AtariVox will always read as a joystick being pushed in a direction, and the Atari won't try to "speak" unless it detects that joystick push, so I don't know that AtariVox-speaking software can be detected if it doesn't try to access the EEPROM first. Though I suppose one could have a button or switch to force AtariVox mode.

Would you like any help with such a project, including a two-player-compatibility mode?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm just waiting on the parts to come from Mos. I can start building some right away once that stuff gets here. He is just a busy guy. If they get made from scratch (I have all the info needed) it will take a while due to the upstart costs. I'm not taking preorder money for a project ever again, so whenever new ones happen is when it happens. It WILL happen eventually. I'm hoping to build with the existing parts, and roll those proceeds in to the new parts.

AX