IGNORED

Hmm, another Namco stick out there.

NightSprinter

Who makes the Master System Stick? Any website?

It is made by atGames. The one at Kogers here in Cincinnati looks like this:

sega-20-gg-sms-titles_LRG.jpg

The only difference between this picture and the one I've got is the color of the unit. My unit is a dark red color with black buttons and a green AtGames logo on it (instead of the Time logo). Other than that it looks the same. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the packaging before my wife through it away :( but, It looked very similar.

I was at the local Kroger this evening and they had a New Genesis game/controller with 12 games,golden axe II Sonic, several other and what else they had was interesting. The had a Sega Master system game/controller with 12 games. $9.99 I may get one.

Anyone else seen these?

Why didn't I keep up with this thread?? I haven't seen any new Sega plug n plays, I'd love to get one of these! Got a make or model? Or an idea of what other stores they are in?

Nathan

Hi Nathan!!

I see them a Kroger grocery stores here in ohio, I'll try to find a Manf for you

My mom lives where there is a Kroger, and she said she'd look for me one, but I may ask you to pick me one up if she can't find any if that's okay. All we have here is Albertson's, and their toys usually are limited and broken.

Nathan

Then you're thinking of the 3rd edition Pac-Man game shown here, that's been out for two years.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/...es/236#more-236

I found this variant of the 4th edition stick however, but I've not seen it for sale --

http://www.searchamateur.com/pictures/pac-...d-tv-game-1.jpg

• Like 1

i have all three of these:

the 2006 3rd edition "Super PacMan Collection" has 4 games: PacMan, PacMan Plus, Super PacMan, and Pac & Pal [pic]

the 2007 4th edition "Arcade Gold PacMan" has 8 games: the four above, plus Dig Dug, Galaxian, Rally-X, and Bosconian [pic]

the 2008 5th edition "Retro Arcade PacMan" has 12 games: the eight above, plus Pole Position, Galaga, Xevious, and Mappy [still looking for a pic]

• Like 1

I found this variant of the 4th edition stick however, but I've not seen it for sale --

http://www.searchamateur.com/pictures/pac-...d-tv-game-1.jpg

Crimefighter, I don't think that's a variant but rather a prototype/mockup. That was the picture of the Namco 4 unit that was around on the Web before it was actually released. Similarly, I have a picture of a prototype of the Tecmo TV Game that was never released; I remember I got it from EntertainmentEarth.com before they removed the product listing from their site (since it was never coming out). I'm glad the released Namco 4 does not look like the prototype, which I find really unattractive.

pboland, atarian, thanks for the pictures. I will be updating my list. bomberpunk, thanks for the updated info. Any chance you can take some pictures of the front and back of the box and post them in here? You know, I'm a bit amused that this new Namco 5 has every previously released Namco TV Game title with the sole exception of Ms. Pac-Man. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that it's the one game that has had the most complaints? But then again, why did they go ahead and put so many [4-way] Pac-Man games on a historically problematic 8-way stick (on a side note, this will be only the second time out of 4 appearances that Bosconian has been available in a TV Game with 8-way control)? Anyway, to continue my earlier Namco TV Game math, we have here Namco 5 = Namco 2 + Namco 4 - 1 game.

Hmm, maybe Jakks Pacific didn't want to make a TV Game with 13 games--except, they've already done that; the 2-player Atari Paddle TV Game had 13 games. Granted, I don't think it sold well, but the same goes for plenty of other TV Games, without 13.

Looking at atarian's picture of the back of the SMS box, I see a screenshot which seems to be wrong. Super Columns did not actually have screens that resembled Sonic stage intro screens, did it? Also, the twin pad is not the same model as the one at Play-Asia.com, and not only because it's labeled as a Genesis rather than a Mega Drive. The Play-Asia.com model only has 5 games, whereas this one has 10.

Has anyone heard of that Time company in pboland's picture?

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Gee, they keep putting out new sticks but the same games in a different combo.

And it seems like they never give you every pacman variant/decedent on one stick :(

They always leave out PacMania

I know... I love PacMania too. My guess they leave this title out is because all these Jakks fustration sticks only run Z-80 processor titles. PacMania uses the more powerful Motorola 6809 processor. I wish someone would step up and release an arcade quality stick with all the PacMan titles on one stick. I'd pay good money for something like that. One can only hope...

I had a very interesting telephone conversation with Jakk's Pacific yesterday and had them look at this picture, they said it didn't exist, insisting that their most recent version was Edition 4 Arcade Gold Pac-Man.

Retro Arcade featuring Pac-Man

Whenever I have called them they seem equally as unaware of their own products, kinda funny and sad, too.

I have uploaded the most recent version of my pnpgames.txt file to my Comprehensive Plug-and-Play Listing thread. As usual, look in the thread's first post for the attachment with the most recent timestamp, namely pnpgames.20081228.txt. There aren't that many substantive changes since the last update (there were several minor changes, like splitting apart different form factors of the same Jakks TV Game, including both the 2- and 3-button versions of the Justice League TV Game, and altering some product names), but the recently revealed products in this thread are all in there.

I finally saw the new Namco 5 ("Retro Arcade featuring Pac-Man," according to the packaging) TV Game myself, in a local Target. It certainly looks much better than the kiddy-style Namco 4 did. However, we are wrong about one detail: the joystick is 4-way, not 8-way. There is a guide plate inside the stick which keeps you from hitting a diagonal; in essence, it's a diamond-shaped hole, with up/down/left/right at its corners. If you push the stick in one of those directions and then slide it slowly toward one of the perpendicular directions, you can hear the original direction's switch "unclicking" before the new direction's switch clicks on, so no diagonals. As a result, Xevious and Bosconian won't play as intended (and the only 8-way TV Games rendition of Bosconian remains the one on the now-rare wireless version of the Ms. Pac-Man stick). It's not so bad for Bosconian, since you can change your direction of movement to avoid enemies, but I think it might really hurt a scrolling shooter like Xevious. Of course, now that they have a 4-way stick, they manage to not put Ms. Pac-Man on it, which would have finally made for a fully controllable TV Games version of the game.

Also, I'm not sure if it was just my imagination, but it seemed heavier than other TV Games. Maybe it was just the width fooling me?

onmode-ky

P.S. atarian, how are those new AtGames Sega plug-and-plays you got? Do they play well/accurately? Any issues? And how is the controller?

• Like 1

I have uploaded the most recent version of my pnpgames.txt file to my Comprehensive Plug-and-Play Listing thread. As usual, look in the thread's first post for the attachment with the most recent timestamp, namely pnpgames.20081228.txt. There aren't that many substantive changes since the last update (there were several minor changes, like splitting apart different form factors of the same Jakks TV Game, including both the 2- and 3-button versions of the Justice League TV Game, and altering some product names), but the recently revealed products in this thread are all in there.

I finally saw the new Namco 5 ("Retro Arcade featuring Pac-Man," according to the packaging) TV Game myself, in a local Target. It certainly looks much better than the kiddy-style Namco 4 did. However, we are wrong about one detail: the joystick is 4-way, not 8-way. There is a guide plate inside the stick which keeps you from hitting a diagonal; in essence, it's a diamond-shaped hole, with up/down/left/right at its corners. If you push the stick in one of those directions and then slide it slowly toward one of the perpendicular directions, you can hear the original direction's switch "unclicking" before the new direction's switch clicks on, so no diagonals. As a result, Xevious and Bosconian won't play as intended (and the only 8-way TV Games rendition of Bosconian remains the one on the now-rare wireless version of the Ms. Pac-Man stick). It's not so bad for Bosconian, since you can change your direction of movement to avoid enemies, but I think it might really hurt a scrolling shooter like Xevious. Of course, now that they have a 4-way stick, they manage to not put Ms. Pac-Man on it, which would have finally made for a fully controllable TV Games version of the game.

Also, I'm not sure if it was just my imagination, but it seemed heavier than other TV Games. Maybe it was just the width fooling me?

onmode-ky

P.S. atarian, how are those new AtGames Sega plug-and-plays you got? Do they play well/accurately? Any issues? And how is the controller?

Well, I know I'm not atarian, but I do own the AtGames SMS plug and play that he has pictured. It appears to be an actual SMS on a chip. I compared Alex Kidd and Astro Warrior to my SMS carts and from what I can they are the same. I can also tell you the the control actually feels pretty good (though, it doesn't look that great). What I like is the fact there is no screw on the battery compartment. :) It just snaps in (like the good old days of battery powered toys).

• 1 month later...

The new Namco 5 ("Retro Arcade") TV Game apparently appeared at Jakks Pacific's booth at this year's CES. It is likely one of few new traditional TV Games planned for sale in 2009, though, as it's probably one of the products described as "other TV Games" in this article about Jakks' CES appearance rather than one of the new TV Games developments highlighted by the article. Namely, Jakks' lineup this year will include TV Games Motion (seems to be a descendant of last year's Ultimotion line, of which the "standalone Wii Sports" Swing Zone Sports was a part), TV Games Sing Scene (sort of a standalone Karaoke Revolution or SingStar), Jump Camp Fitness (er, sort of a standalone Wii Fit?), and Big Buck Hunter Pro (a standalone "Buck Hunt"). The TV Games Motion line will include (or maybe be completely composed of) several licensed products, and a Star Wars model was on show at CES.

Here's another article on Jakks' offerings at CES 2009, with an embedded video clip of the Star Wars TV Games Motion in action: Destructoid link. This Geek.com link has a different clip showing some other gameplay from the Star Wars TV Games Motion which reminds me of LucasArts' old Rebel Assault PC game. Things have certainly changed since 2001's original Activision TV Game.

onmode-ky

Seriously...

I would pay good money for a solidly built (my parents play the Jakks PnP stuff, and they crap out after a few months of chronic play) PnP with the Pac-Man collection on it, and a few other strong titles.

I also mean Pac-Man collection, including PacMania (have this for the NES, and LOVE it), and Pac Man Jr. (have this for Atari 8bit, and in MAME, this and PacMania are the two best Pac games in my opinion).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Is it wired or wireless? If it's wired and the circuit board has the same small footprint as the one in previous Jakks P&P sticks, it could work really well in one of Coleco's arcade tabletops.

You mean one of the old coleco ones from the eighties, or those new really pricey ones I've seen floating around the web recently?

Edited by brojamfootball

One of these days once I get some spare cash, I want to build a tabletop arcade with a bunch of these sticks on it, with a combo 4 way/8 way joystick.

This would be the perfect thing for that, as pac-man don't like 4 way, and bosconian likes 8 way.

I would even make a small wheel custom mount with the joystick for pole position.

I wonder if you could give me some info about how you would do the wheel. I'm working on making some mini-arcade machines from plug and play units, but so far have had to avoid the twist controller due to lack of knowledge. The joystick and buttons are easy, they're just switches and you can use just about anything, but the twist? I'd love to figure that out! Let me know if you can.

Edited by brojamfootball

• 1 month later...
Seriously...

I would pay good money for a solidly built (my parents play the Jakks PnP stuff, and they crap out after a few months of chronic play) PnP with the Pac-Man collection on it, and a few other strong titles.

I also mean Pac-Man collection, including PacMania (have this for the NES, and LOVE it), and Pac Man Jr. (have this for Atari 8bit, and in MAME, this and PacMania are the two best Pac games in my opinion).

I went to Wal Mart this weekend to replace my old Pac-Man/Bosconian for that very reason. On the shelf, I noticed the model Trekki L.E.O. linked to us in post #39 above, and picked that up instead. Depending on what game you play most, I.D.K. that the twist knob & 4-way vs. the old 8-way stick are necessarily improvements, but this model is I.M.O. higher quality in every other respect. Your parents still may wear this one out, but the stick & buttons feel very solid, and make audible "clicks" (may not be the right description for this sound). The casing itself is also more robust. A huge improvement over some of the shiny plastic toy shaped controllers anyways.

Most importantly the games are more accurate & the sounds are much better. J.M.O.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
*sigh* Will Namco release any OTHER games on a dedicated stick and not just Pac Man, etc over and over again? There is way too much overlap on these dedicated consoles.

Yeah, whats the deal? Namco acts as if it only released 10 or so games with the way they produce plug-n-plays. Maybe if they made a joystick with games other than the ones they've already released atleast 3 times already they would get some new sales.

I wish i would have used that avatar!!!!!!!!!!

Target has the new Pac-man ones in post #39 above also for $19. I got one and it's really nice. All of the previous games of all Namco plug and plays are included, except Ms. Pac-Man. The packaging is a smaller blister pack and not the large box shown above. I guess they just keep redoing them.

• Like 1