IGNORED

Important Note Regarding Post Editing

Albert

I recently made a change to the way the post editing feature behaves. In the past, members have been able to edit posts indefinitely. Unfortunately, this privilege has been abused and I was forced to limit use of the "Edit" feature to within 15 minutes one hour of when a post is first made. This will allow you to fix any obvious problems with a post (such as spelling mistakes), but after those 15 minutes that one hour are is up, you will no longer be able to edit your posts. I have made a few exceptions, such as with the Marketplace, Wanted, and the various Programming-related forums. In these forums, you can still edit your posts indefinitely.

Outside of that, I do understand that there are some threads where it's advantageous for the topic starter to maintain the first post (or possibly others) in a thread. If you need the ability to edit a specific post, please post here which posts you need to be able to edit and why, and I can selectively grant you access to edit those posts.

Thanks,

..Al

Edit: Changed edit time from 15 minutes to one hour.

• Like 2

Could you make this thread able to be edited freely?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...118923&st=0

I don't know about anyone else, but I go back to my post there and update my Wii list whenever I buy a game.

I looked at the entire thread and you were only one of two people to go back and edit their lists after a significant amount of time. I gave you the ability to edit your post in the thread..

..Al

I understand the thinking here, but won't this subject the forum database to unneeded bloat, because ongoing WIP homebrews will need to be reposted dozens of times, instead of just editing the top post of said thread?

The homebrew and various programming forums are some of those that I enabled indefinite editing on posts for this very reason. When we make the switch to IP.Board 3.0 early next year, I will likely be adding the IP.Downloads module, which will be well suited for posting and revising homebrew binaries and will pretty much eliminate that issue.

..Al

I understand the thinking here, but won't this subject the forum database to unneeded bloat, because ongoing WIP homebrews will need to be reposted dozens of times, instead of just editing the top post of said thread?

The homebrew and various programming forums are some of those that I enabled indefinite editing on posts for this very reason. When we make the switch to IP.Board 3.0 early next year, I will likely be adding the IP.Downloads module, which will be well suited for posting and revising homebrew binaries and will pretty much eliminate that issue.

..Al

Cool!

Could you make this thread able to be edited freely?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...118923&st=0

I don't know about anyone else, but I go back to my post there and update my Wii list whenever I buy a game.

I looked at the entire thread and you were only one of two people to go back and edit their lists after a significant amount of time. I gave you the ability to edit your post in the thread..

..Al

I didn't realize that, sorry for the trouble. Thanks for doing it anyways.

I would like the power to edit other people's threads when they refuse to edit their own F-ed up titles. I will fix titles such as the following:

"New Nuppet movie starring Steven Baldwin" (Muppet. Fixed!)

"Vatman star killed by hay baler owned by devout Christians" (Batman. Fixed!)

"Vintage Clackers for Sell" (Sale. Fixed!)

"Your an idiot, Random Terrain" (That's "You're an idiot, Random Terrain." Fixed!)

:D

Al, I would like to be able to edit the first post of this thread so I can post a current list of alternative version roms that are not yet dumped.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103737

If you can then thanks. :)

I only have this one thread I like to keep the title updated for:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102227

Other than that, I'm good. :D

You guys can now edit those posts. :)

..Al

'Abused' in what way? I have justone finger to type with. I guess I will just have to go over my post more carefully before adding my reply.

May it not be more fair to revoke the option from theabusers instead of 'punishing' everybody after warning everybody by say having a system message apoun login?

I recently made a change to the way the post editing feature behaves. In the past, members have been able to edit posts indefinitely. Unfortunately, this privilege has been abused and I was forced to limit use of the "Edit" feature to within 15 minutes of when a post is first made. This will allow you to fix any obvious problems with a post (such as spelling mistakes), but after those 15 minutes are up, you will no longer be able to edit your posts. I have made a few exceptions, such as with the Marketplace, Wanted, and the various Programming-related forums. In these forums, you can still edit your posts indefinitely.

Outside of that, I do understand that there are some threads where it's advantageous for the topic starter to maintain the first post (or possibly others) in a thread. If you need the ability to edit a specific post, please post here which posts you need to be able to edit and why, and I can selectively grant you access to edit those posts.

Thanks,

..Al

'Abused' in what way? I have justone finger to type with. I guess I will just have to go over my post more carefully before adding my reply.

May it not be more fair to revoke the option from theabusers instead of 'punishing' everybody after warning everybody by say having a system message apoun login?

Unfortunately several people have gone back and edited away all of their posts, sometimes numbering in the thousands. I was recently able to recover most of these posts from backups, but it was a considerable amount of work. Once someone goes and does something of this nature, there's really no point in removing their edit privileges after the fact (and usually they won't be coming back anyway). This has happened enough that it's really not worthwhile to allow people to edit their posts beyond an initial window (which I may increase a bit), in addition to special cases where editing will be allowed indefinitely (such as the Marketplace forum).

..Al

Unfortunately several people have gone back and edited away all of their posts, sometimes numbering in the thousands. I was recently able to recover most of these posts from backups, but it was a considerable amount of work. Once someone goes and does something of this nature, there's really no point in removing their edit privileges after the fact (and usually they won't be coming back anyway). This has happened enough that it's really not worthwhile to allow people to edit their posts beyond an initial window (which I may increase a bit), in addition to special cases where editing will be allowed indefinitely (such as the Marketplace forum).

What motivates somone to go to that extreme? Kinda strange if you ask me. Seriously, how long would it take to edit away a thousand posts. :ponder:

What motivates somone to go to that extreme? Kinda strange if you ask me. Seriously, how long would it take to edit away a thousand posts. :ponder:

It is a strange thing, yes. It takes a considerable amount of time to edit that many posts.

..Al