IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

Zap!, on 09 Oct 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Time Traveler is another, but that's impossible to fully replicate on a home system.

I thought Time Traveler had been released on a DVD sometime.

Yep. According to Wikipedia: "In 2001, a non-stereographic version was published by Digital Leisure in PC CD-ROM and standard DVD format."

Edited by Gabriel

I know. That's why I said "proper" lol.

Figured that was what you meant, but wasn't sure.

I remember I wanted Time Killers back in the day for whatever reason. I didn't get it, though. When I got my flash cart I did load it up, and could tell that had I spent $50+ on it back in the day I would have been kicking myself.

Other arcade games that never got home conversions:

Space Encounters

probably tons of laserdisc games

Zookeeper seems to be an arcade exclusive.

But...

There is a prototype of Anteater for the 2600 that dates back to 1983 from M-Network.

There are also prototypes of Sinistar for both the 2600 & A8's.

They might have not been finished and commericaly released, but they exist none the less.

Yeah, i still remember those days when i play zookeeper on arcade.

zookeeper, anteater and sinistar

Sinistar released for the Atari 5200 which can be purchased from the AtariAge store. I also have a Sinistar cartridge for the 2600 but it mysteriously died. It also appears on "Greatest Hits" collections for modern consoles.

Closest thing to Anteater is Oil's Well which is available on ColecoVision and other computers.

Juno First (soon to be remedied)?

Released for the Atari 2600 and available in the AA store.

Major Havok, Space Duel...

Space Duel released for the 7800 and also available in the AA store.

Astro-Blaster didn't get any console love until it was made available on the PSP as part of the Genesis Collection. (On the other hand, I think Megamania was based on it.)

PacManPlus recently finished Astro Blaster. I see this is not in the AA store yet.

Tailgunner - this fun 3D shooter would have been a perfect candidate for conversion to the Vectrex.

Tail Gunner is a WIP by Fury Unlimited and slated to be released for the Vectrex.

How about FRONT LINE, a nice Taito release from the early 80's, and one of my favorites..... Was that ever released ON AN ARCADE COMPILATION? I know it never came out on the consoles back in the day, but did it ever come out ON ANYTHING?

Released BITD for ColecoVision and Atari 2600.

How about Pac & Pal....

Does Super Pac-Man count..it has the Prototype on the 5200

Pac & Pal was released with Pac-Man Museum for the Xbox 360. Super Pac-Man by PacManPlus for the 7800 available in the AA store.

What about Pleiades? I don't recall seeing that one for any system.

Released for the 2600 and available in the AA store.

I was going to say Astro Invader, as it was a favorite of mine, but then I remembered it was called Kamikaze in other parts of the world, and it was liscensed for the VTech Laser-VZ. Dont ask me, I have no idea.... I just read it in the games info file in Mame. Other games that come to mind....

Asteroid Deluxe

Moon Cresta (Eagle)

Astro Invader by Scott Huggins for the ColecoVision available in the AA store. Asteroids Deluxe and Moon Cresta for the 7800 in the AA store.

I was thinking about these games when I read this thread..

Pac-Man Plus

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Pac-Man Plus is available on the ColecoVision as a hidden game in Opcode's Pac-Man Collection. Also available on PacManPlus' Pac-Man Collection for the 7800 from the AA store.

Opcode also released Yie Ar Kung Fu for the ColecoVision.

A lot of Universal's games have not been ported. To name a few: Cosmic Alien, Magical Spot, Magical Spot II and Cosmic Monsters.

Space Firebird is a nice shooter that has never been ported.

Death Race (despite what Nintendo released for the NES) has never been ported.

Cutie Q and Gee Bee were never ported - I'm guessing these two would be relatively easy to do for the Atari 2600. Bomb Bee was ported as Pinball Spectacular for the C64.

• Like 1

Cutie Q and Bomb Bee have appeared in the Namco Museum line and aren't emulation (Some are disqualifying such games in this thread).

No home version of Gee Bee has appeared in any Namco compilation (Including emulation, ports, or recreations that don't utilize the original source code).

Pac-Man Plus is available on the ColecoVision as a hidden game in Opcode's Pac-Man Collection. Also available on PacManPlus' Pac-Man Collection for the 7800 from the AA store.

It's not a console, but it has also appeared, recreated in arcade form, on a Jakks Pacific plug and play or two.

Opcode also released Yie Ar Kung Fu for the ColecoVision.

This one has several console versions available. There's a port (Not emulation) on the Playstation, for instance.

Asteroids Deluxe and Moon Cresta for the 7800 in the AA store.

Moon Cresta has other versions available as well, such as a port on the Super Famicom on the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics compilation cartridge. And it's emulated on the Playstation 2 and it also saw a Wii Virtual Console release in Japan.

Asteroids Deluxe has quite a few emulated versions available. There's also the Flashback 2 version that can be played on actual 2600 software and Space Rocks for the 2600 has modes that replicate it as well.

Released [Pleiades] for the 2600 and available in the AA store.

It's also available in emulated form as part of Tecmo Classic Arcade for the Xbox.

Pac & Pal was released with Pac-Man Museum for the Xbox 360. Super Pac-Man by PacManPlus for the 7800 available in the AA store.

Pac-Man Museum is also on the PS3.

Pac & Pal is also on Vintage Arcade for the Xbox 360 and Namco Museum Remix and Megamix for the Wii. Super Pac-Man is the same, as well as a Playstation 1 Namco Museum release and an Atari 5200 homebrew.

Both are also on plug and plays, but they're not consoles.

Edited by Atariboy

Pac-Man Museum is also on the PS3.

Pac & Pal is also on Vintage Arcade for the Xbox 360 and Namco Museum Remix and Megamix for the Wii. Super Pac-Man is the same, as well as a Playstation 1 Namco Museum release and an Atari 5200 homebrew.

Both are also on plug and plays, but they're not consoles.

I failed to mention that Super Pac-Man is also included in Pac-Man Museum.

Death Race (despite what Nintendo released for the NES) has never been ported.

Update: just learned that Death Race is now available for the O2. Don't know why I never saw anyone mention it here on AtariAge unless it's posted in a forum I'm not following. You can order it right now.

http://www.2600connection.com/features/death_race/features_death_race.html

• Like 1

Update: just learned that Death Race is now available for the O2. Don't know why I never saw anyone mention it here on AtariAge unless it's posted in a forum I'm not following. You can order it right now.

http://www.2600connection.com/features/death_race/features_death_race.html

I believe it is also coming to Vectrex. There was a demo in one of the CGExpo panels.

• 3 weeks later...

Mappy is on many consoles and handhelds from the past 20 years. And most instances of the arcade version haven't been emulation, which some seem to want to disqualify.

Four console versions of Namco Museum, two handheld Namco Museum releases, the Wii Virtual Console (Arcade version here and the Famicom version on all three Japanese VC's), several Namco plug and plays, the Famicom version saw an emulated GBA release in Japan, an early 90's PC release from Microsoft, etc.

Definitely underrepresented in the classic era though. There's the already mentioned Famicom port, the MSX version has been alluded to, and then there's a Game Gear version which I haven't seen mentioned (Not a console, of course). Some talented homebrew author should convert this for the Master System...

I'm surprised they haven't ever brought over the Famicom conversion to our Virtual Console. Too bad that North America missed out on it back in the day.

Edited by Atariboy

Four console versions of Namco Museum, two handheld Namco Museum releases, the Wii Virtual Console (Arcade version here and the Famicom version on all three Japanese VC's), several Namco plug and plays, the Famicom version saw an emulated GBA release in Japan, an early 90's PC release from Microsoft, etc.

Add the Super Cassette Vision to the Mappy list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpxiKQcJas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpxiKQcJas

Looks like a great port to me. I'd love to track down Mappy for my SCV! Probably very rare game for an already rare console, though.

• Like 1

Mappy is a great game. I especially like the music; it was one of the first games where I really noticed stereo sound.

I have several different versions of it though, including a NES multi-pirate cart, and three different Jakks "Ms Pacman" PnPs. Also maybe on GB and/or PS1 collections I think.

It's one of a few games I regularly play on my laptop in Mame.

Looks like it's on Namco Gallery Volume 1 for the original Game Boy.

The Super Game Boy mode looks great (And had me checking to see if they saw a GBC rerelease when I saw the screenshot below). Not many SGB enhanced games used color very effectively. Even Donkey Kong '94 clearly shows its monochrome roots inside its border during gameplay, where as these compilations seem to all run in full color.

gfs_8477_2_2.jpg

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Time Traveler is another, but that's impossible to fully replicate on a home system.

Oddly enough, that got a port to DVD. It also has a PC version.

The Super Game Boy mode looks great (And had me checking to see if they saw a GBC rerelease when I saw the screenshot below). Not many SGB enhanced games used color very effectively. Even Donkey Kong '94 clearly shows its monochrome roots inside its border during gameplay, where as these compilations seem to all run in full color.

gfs_8477_2_2.jpg

It's not full color, just a good use of the limited colors available. SGB mode has a limitation of 10 color, if I remember correctly. Notice how both the enemies and platforms are brown? The trampolines don't change color either. What's interesting is that Galaga uses the same palette as the Galaga/Galaxian 2 in 1 cart, but a different border. Same deal with Galaxian in Namco Gallery 2, as well.

Not a console, but if I remember correctly, Mr. Do's Wildride and Mr. Do Run Run both have MSX ports. The MSX port of Do Run Run uses the japanese name of the game, Super Pierrot.

Edited by BrianC