IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

• 3 months later...

Mappy has had many home ports, so it's not that one if you're asking us what the biggest arcade hit is that never saw a home conversion.

And Zoo Keeper, while never ported to a system, has at least made one emulated appearance thanks to Taito Legends for the PS2, Xbox, and PC. Doesn't qualify for some, but it counts in my book.

Many arcade games that never got a home release were flops. However, there were a few hits that never made it. What do you guys think the biggest hit was? Mappy? Zookeeper? Baby Pac-Man?

Baby Pac-Man would be very challenging to port to any system, given that it combined both a (mini) pinball table and video game elements.

Does PinMAME support this title?

(Slightly O/T, but I played it once, and I was unable to figure out how to switch to the pinball gameplay. :? )

An Atari 2600 port of Zookeeper was allegedly started.

I don't think that Space Duel ever got a home conversion (though it does appear on some Atari compilation collections for the PC and PS 2).

Mappy has had many home ports, so it's not that one if you're asking us what the biggest arcade hit is that never saw a home conversion.

And Zoo Keeper, while never ported to a system, has at least made one emulated appearance thanks to Taito Legends for the PS2, Xbox, and PC. Doesn't qualify for some, but it counts in my book.

I still can't see how that counts. We're talking about in its day, while it was current, it never saw a home port. Moreover, on the PS2, Xbox, and PC, it's not a "port" but emulation, as you noted. It's no different than downloading a ROM and playing it in MAME.

While Taito's "Mat Mania" sort of got ported to the 7800, it's weird that such a popular game wasn't ported to more systems.

I don't think "WWF Super Stars" and "Wrestlefest" ever got ported to home consoles.

WWF SuperStars got a GameBoy Port!

Edited by Shinju

Discs of TRON

While there's clearly disagreement on if an official emulated release of a classic arcade game counts as an appearance for said game on a game console, this was made available via the Xbox Live Arcade service for the Xbox 360. Tron is also there, although I'm unsure if they remain available to purchase these days.

Strictly speaking however, it wasn't turned into a home console game. But it may still be of interest so it's worth a mention.

I don't think that Space Duel ever got a home conversion (though it does appear on some Atari compilation collections for the PC and PS 2).

There's an excellent unofficial conversion for the Atari 7800 by another AtariAger, PacManPlus.

The closest you'll find to an official non emulated attempt I suppose would be Space Duel on the Atari Flashback 2. Sadly, it didn't turn out so well however. Nor is their agreement on if a system such as the Flashback 2 counts as a console or not. But that's the only officially sanctioned attempt that I'm aware of to program a recreation of it.

Edited by Atariboy

My mistake about Mappy. I think there should be be a 7 year moratorium for what counts. Meaning if an arcade game comes out in 1980, and there's no wait buy 1988 (the 8th year), it is officially an arcade game with no console release. Compilations can be counted this way too.

My mistake about Mappy. I think there should be be a 7 year moratorium for what counts. Meaning if an arcade game comes out in 1980, and there's no wait buy 1988 (the 8th year), it is officially an arcade game with no console release. Compilations can be counted this way too.

lol

I'm not sure I agree with that (Although if I did, I'd adjust it to 5 years since that seems less arbitrary), but that said, Mappy did see home releases when it was a new title. Unsure what, if any, appeared stateside during the 1980s off the top of my head. But I know that the Famicom and MSX ports were contemporaries of the arcade title, for at least two releases that fall within your proposal.

Either way, great game and at least it is available officially at home in multiple forms. And its home exclusive sequel, Mappy Land for the NES, is also a great follow-on that respects what made the original great, while expanding upon it.

I'd love to see some enterprising homebrewer tackle creating an arcade conversion of that one, that runs on the same hardware as the original arcade game (Like what M2 did in the 2000s for Fantasy Zone II, previously exclusive to Sega's 8 bit hardware, on the System 16 arcade board that the original arcade game ran on).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Thx to this week's No Quarter podcast...

Snax 'n Jaxson & The Outfoxies.

Actually the UK RetroGamer mag had (has?) this as a monthly feature, going so far as to suggest the next best similar game.

Snacks'N Jaxson should have made it to something. I guess it came out at a bad time (1984). I wonder if Bally even attempted to negotiate it onto a system.

Sega's Pulsar as far as I know, which by the way, is an awesome game.

Sonic the Fighters is a 3D arcade fighting game that came out in the late 90's.All the characters were from the Sonic games and it was really fun to play.
It's on the Sonic Gems collection for GameCube. Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

Its available of live arcade... as is disc of tron... two titles that were a must have .. thanks xbox...

back in the day when these first came out there were lots of pirate attempts on the sinclair zx spectrum all of them pretty terrible apart from a light bikes rip.

The zx spectrum was licenced to Timex in the US.

For the XBOX Live version of Discs of TRON, can you move the crosshairs up and down? If not, there's no way to get past the Logic Probe.