IGNORED

Any ST coders around?

sack-c0s

sorry - there doesn't seem to be an ST coding forum further down the board so I thought I'd try here. feel free to move if I'm in the wrong place.

anyways...

In a moment of boredom (and because during the amiga vs ST war I was an archimedes user) I decided it might be a bit of fun to try a bit of 68kasm on either the Amiga or ST, but I managed to get something drawn on the screen using the ST first so it has my attention at the moment.

I've made my first steps by getting devpac up and running in steem and got a small framework going where I can draw on the screen and with the aid of google and an ST coding tutorial I'm kind of up and running. Now I'd like to do something meaningful with it.

What I'm looking for now is more practical and games/demo oriented articles/tutorials and advice because the ST screen looks like a royal pain in the ass to scroll and update at a decent rate but there's plenty of solidy written stuff out there that does it, so I'm guessing there's some tricks to doing it well.

Can anyone point me towards anything I should be reading at this point? Google is great, but sometimes you need to know what you're looking for to find it.

All advice gratefully received and being a C64 coder I'm not scared of a few hellish feats of cycletiming ;)

sorry - there doesn't seem to be an ST coding forum further down the board so I thought I'd try here. feel free to move if I'm in the wrong place.

anyways...

In a moment of boredom (and because during the amiga vs ST war I was an archimedes user) I decided it might be a bit of fun to try a bit of 68kasm on either the Amiga or ST, but I managed to get something drawn on the screen using the ST first so it has my attention at the moment.

I've made my first steps by getting devpac up and running in steem and got a small framework going where I can draw on the screen and with the aid of google and an ST coding tutorial I'm kind of up and running. Now I'd like to do something meaningful with it.

What I'm looking for now is more practical and games/demo oriented articles/tutorials and advice because the ST screen looks like a royal pain in the ass to scroll and update at a decent rate but there's plenty of solidy written stuff out there that does it, so I'm guessing there's some tricks to doing it well.

Can anyone point me towards anything I should be reading at this point? Google is great, but sometimes you need to know what you're looking for to find it.

All advice gratefully received and being a C64 coder I'm not scared of a few hellish feats of cycletiming ;)

Hi there!

You can take a look at the late Perihelion's demo tutorial (never read it, but it should be ok).

Also, there's James Ingram's demo tutorial with source code and lots of nice tips. Unfortunately I don't have it here with me so you can search google a bit, and if you can't find it just bump up the thread so I can take a look when I'm back home :)

Oh, and for any specific coding question, just ask :)

sorry - there doesn't seem to be an ST coding forum further down the board so I thought I'd try here. feel free to move if I'm in the wrong place....

Can anyone point me towards anything I should be reading at this point? ...

I suggest another Atari ST forum, where is a special coding section and people with knowledge. :

http://www.atari-forum.com/

yeah hello ,

follow me around ,

i been coding for years and learnt it stright from trial and error.

i am member of atari forum

.atari age

and

ataritalk forum ..

i know more than most general coders but

not enough to statisfy the exeperienced proffesionals.

i get my nose into alot difficult senerios whiles coding , and now i am advanced to asm ... same setup as you too steem and devpac

before this i did gfa omikron and pascal

asm has pros and cons we can discuss further if interested ,,, please oblidge and drop me a pm

callaghan

Is it Christmas or April fools?! :D

Anyway I'd suggest http://www.atari-forum.com/ as well. 68k section, you can also search and maybe find your questions already answered.

Thanks - I've had a quick skim through the forum and to be honest I don't think I'll need to ask any questions for a long time there because a lot of the kinds of things I wanted to know seem to be in threads there.

Anyhow... this is spain so you get christmas and april fools at the same time more or less. But like I said - at the moment I'm just playing around to relieve a bit of boredom and pass some time - this isn't exactly a promise to release something groundbreaking or anything like that. But if I do get something worth looking at up and running I'll post it up here or at atari forum for feedback

Coding questions are certainly welcome here in the ST forum, as there is no special programming forum here for the ST.

I had some ST disks (which not working presently) that showed some animation/audio using only boot block. Any of those boot blocks available anywhere-- I remember one disk had a starfield w/audio.

Coding questions are certainly welcome here in the ST forum, as there is no special programming forum here for the ST.

I had some ST disks (which not working presently) that showed some animation/audio using only boot block. Any of those boot blocks available anywhere-- I remember one disk had a starfield w/audio.

http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?type[]=512b&platform[]=Atari+ST&order=&x=27&y=9&page=1&order=

Enjoy :)