IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC Rules

Welcome everyone to the Arcade/MAME High Score Club! Below, you will find the rules for participating. As this is very new to me, I will add/modify the rules as needed, but here are the basic rules to get things started:

• Each week, a game will be chosen from a list of games, suggested by AA members. I will create a topic in this subforum for each week's game. Games can be suggested by anyone at any time. Just PM me with a game you'd like to have played and I'll add it to the list.
  • Games will run for 1 week. At the end of each week, I will award points for the top 10 finishers. This will work like the 2600 HSC thread:
    • 1st place: 11 points
    • 2nd place: 10 points
    • 3rd place: 9 points
    • 4th place: 8 points
    • 5th place: 7 points
    • 6th place: 6 points
    • 7th place: 5 points
    • 8th place: 4 points
    • 9th place: 3 points
    • 10th place: 2 points
    • Everyone else: 1 participation point
  • Games can be played on actual arcade machines or via emulators. In the interest of keeping things simple, games will be played on default, or factory settings. When a member suggests a game, if you want the game set to certain settings, please PM me the settings you wish to have. Otherwise, I will assume default settings are in effect.
  • Once you have a score, post it in the topic for the week's game. Pictures/screenshots of your score are not required, but are always welcomed. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to show off your machine, or your achievement! icon_smile.gif PLEASE POST THE TEXT OF YOUR SCORE. IF YOU DON"T POST THE TEXT OF YOUR SCORE IT WON"T BE ADDED TO THE LEADERBOARD.
  • Challenges and bonus points: From time to time, you will have the chance to earn bonus points. It might be by achieving a certain score, or by posting best tips, or by writing up a clever game description, etc. If you want to pose your own challenges, that will be welcomed as well.
  • Please, do not cheat! Do not use the cheat abilities of the games (i.e. using the speed cheat in Pac Man, unlimited lives, "God Mode", etc.) There are no prizes for winning, other than the points I award (and bragging rights, of course) so please don't ruin this for everyone else. icon_smile.gif
  • Please, do not abuse bugs/glitches in the games! Many games have loopholes that allow you score tons of points with little or no chance of losing a life. One classic example is in Asteroids, where you can leave one small asteroid on the screen and "hunt" UFOs. This practice is refered to as "point scumming." Another possible tactic would involve games that have "continue" features. While most games reset the score when you continue, I believe there are some that do not. With such games, I'll try to remember to specify that the game is to be played with one credit only. I'll also try to point out bugs and glitches in the games. If a bug becomes apparent midweek, I will reserve the right to remove scores. Also, if you inadvertantly trigger a bug, I would ask you to throw out that score and start over. Please feel free to mention bugs you might find out during a week. This is all in the attempt to keep this fair and fun for everyone. icon_smile.gif
  • While there are many compilation CDs/P-N-P joysticks that contain these games, I want to keep this to Arcade machines and MAME only, as they both use the same ROM information. Compilation CDs and P-N-P joysticks are not known to use the same ROM info, therefore, their scores will not be accepted for this particular club.

I think that's good for a start. I'll leave this topic open for a brief time. If you have questions or comments, I'll be sure to answer them and modify the rules as necessary.

Finally, if you have any suggestions on how to make this a more enjoyable time for everyone, please PM me with your suggestions. I hope you all enjoy the club. Have fun! icon_smile.gif

Edited by VectorGamer

• 2 weeks later...
How about encouraging the use of .INP files (but not requiring them of course). That way if someone has a nice score we can all watch them play :)

......................and how do we do to a video or picture of screen? I know it's possible with mame but I never did.

in MAME hit TAB to call up the in-gane menu

post-3056-1231791239_thumb.png

hit RETURN/ENTER on the INPUT(general) menu

post-3056-1231791284_thumb.png

hit RETURN/ENTER on USER INTERFACE

post-3056-1231791301_thumb.png

Look for the Save Snapshot and Record Movie options to see what key(s) to hit. I think they were F12 and Left-Shift-F12. I changed them to HOME on my Mac as F12 is already assigned a system function to show the Dashboard.

You'll find the "Screenshots" folder in the same folder the ROMs are stored in. The screenshots will be saved infolders named for each game(for The Pit they're in folder thepitc).

• 2 months later...
Just curious 'teach... have you given any thought to how long a season will be? Or will it be a bit more arbitrary... like when your hard drive crashes or when the season score list needs to be weeded? :)

AHHHH! Don't say such things! :)

No, I haven't thought about how long the season will be. I'm open to suggestions, though. :)

Just curious 'teach... have you given any thought to how long a season will be? Or will it be a bit more arbitrary... like when your hard drive crashes or when the season score list needs to be weeded? :)

AHHHH! Don't say such things! :)

No, I haven't thought about how long the season will be. I'm open to suggestions, though. :)

:evil:

Here's a few thoughts I had...

I kinda like the 50 week season we had in the 2600 HSC (yeah, I know I didn't show up until week 18), and so far 30 weeks have gone by pretty quickly. Essentially, you could do a season per calendar year, starting each new season in January. Maybe take a week off in between seasons (which lines up with the holidays) or playing a two week contest or two, just to keep the weeks lined up with the 52 weeks/year.

• 2 months later...

Are plug-n-play versions of arcade games allowed? I want to know because in 4 days I'll be picking up a plug-n-play system with Ms. Pac-Man, Mappy, Xevious, Pac-Man, Bosconian, Rally-X, and Pole Position on it.

Are plug-n-play versions of arcade games allowed? I want to know because in 4 days I'll be picking up a plug-n-play system with Ms. Pac-Man, Mappy, Xevious, Pac-Man, Bosconian, Rally-X, and Pole Position on it.

I doubt it since the versions on those are most definitely not arcade perfect.

I'd have to agree. To compete you pretty much have to play the actual arcade cabinet or emulating with MAME.

I'd have to agree. To compete you pretty much have to play the actual arcade cabinet or emulating with MAME.

Then were can I get MAME?

Then were can I get MAME?

MAME can be a bit confusing when you are just starting out.

If you are using Windows, here is a good package to start out with: http://www.mgalaxy.com/

Download the mgalaxy_AIO.exe and that has everything you need except for games. MAME is a bit outdated in this package, but should would well for your purposes here. Deteacher has a link to download games in each of the weekly posts. Put the zip file in the ROMs folder and run mgalaxy.

There are literally hundreds of different MAME configurations and front ends... this is just one way to do it.

If you have any further questions, I'd recommend doing a bit of searching and if you can't find your answers, then create a new topic in the "Emulation" forum.

Good luck!

• 10 months later...

Also, with the new season a few months away, what would members think about changes to the point system?

The reason I ask is that from a point accumulation perspective there is little incentive to finish in first place if you are currently second or third in a respective game's leader board.

Maybe distribute points as follows:

1st = 20 pts

2nd = 15 pts

3rd = 12 pts

4th = 10 pts

5th = 8 pts

6th = 6 pts

7th = 5 pts

8th = 4 pts

9th = 3 pts

10th = 2 pts

11th and lower = 1 participation point