Welcome everyone to the Arcade/MAME High Score Club! Below, you will find the rules for participating. As this is very new to me, I will add/modify the rules as needed, but here are the basic rules to get things started:
- Each week, a game will be chosen from a list of games, suggested by AA members. I will create a topic in this subforum for each week's game. Games can be suggested by anyone at any time. Just PM me with a game you'd like to have played and I'll add it to the list.
- Games will run for 1 week. At the end of each week, I will award points for the top 10 finishers. This will work like the 2600 HSC thread:
- 1st place: 11 points
- 2nd place: 10 points
- 3rd place: 9 points
- 4th place: 8 points
- 5th place: 7 points
- 6th place: 6 points
- 7th place: 5 points
- 8th place: 4 points
- 9th place: 3 points
- 10th place: 2 points
- Everyone else: 1 participation point
- Games can be played on actual arcade machines or via emulators. In the interest of keeping things simple, games will be played on default, or factory settings. When a member suggests a game, if you want the game set to certain settings, please PM me the settings you wish to have. Otherwise, I will assume default settings are in effect.
- Once you have a score, post it in the topic for the week's game. Pictures/screenshots of your score are not required, but are always welcomed. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to show off your machine, or your achievement! PLEASE POST THE TEXT OF YOUR SCORE. IF YOU DON"T POST THE TEXT OF YOUR SCORE IT WON"T BE ADDED TO THE LEADERBOARD.
- Challenges and bonus points: From time to time, you will have the chance to earn bonus points. It might be by achieving a certain score, or by posting best tips, or by writing up a clever game description, etc. If you want to pose your own challenges, that will be welcomed as well.
- Please, do not cheat! Do not use the cheat abilities of the games (i.e. using the speed cheat in Pac Man, unlimited lives, "God Mode", etc.) There are no prizes for winning, other than the points I award (and bragging rights, of course) so please don't ruin this for everyone else.
- Please, do not abuse bugs/glitches in the games! Many games have loopholes that allow you score tons of points with little or no chance of losing a life. One classic example is in Asteroids, where you can leave one small asteroid on the screen and "hunt" UFOs. This practice is refered to as "point scumming." Another possible tactic would involve games that have "continue" features. While most games reset the score when you continue, I believe there are some that do not. With such games, I'll try to remember to specify that the game is to be played with one credit only. I'll also try to point out bugs and glitches in the games. If a bug becomes apparent midweek, I will reserve the right to remove scores. Also, if you inadvertantly trigger a bug, I would ask you to throw out that score and start over. Please feel free to mention bugs you might find out during a week. This is all in the attempt to keep this fair and fun for everyone.
- While there are many compilation CDs/P-N-P joysticks that contain these games, I want to keep this to Arcade machines and MAME only, as they both use the same ROM information. Compilation CDs and P-N-P joysticks are not known to use the same ROM info, therefore, their scores will not be accepted for this particular club.
I think that's good for a start. I'll leave this topic open for a brief time. If you have questions or comments, I'll be sure to answer them and modify the rules as necessary.
Finally, if you have any suggestions on how to make this a more enjoyable time for everyone, please PM me with your suggestions. I hope you all enjoy the club. Have fun!
Edited by VectorGamer, Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 AM.