IGNORED

UltraSatan preorders open NOW!

I take it orders have closed for this run? I've just heard about this device, having taken delivery of a 520STFM today.

best to ask over at Atari-Forum I think, maybe you can get on a reserve list if someone decides no to pay.

Or you could register and try and order one anyway

http://mikro.umpc.sk/us_order/

Edited by mimo

when in March will payments be accepted?

@stephen anderson: you don't get a reply from the website, you just log in to verify your account and order. I just logged in myself and everything is fine, it lists your name, address and how many units your want, I'm just waiting for the payments to be opened up, which is supposed to start this month

Excellent. Thanks. I also got my password reset, so everything is good now. I was just making absolutely sure I don't miss out :) I've had an ST for nearly 3 years now, and can't do anything with it.

Stephen Anderson

I've been considering how I want to power my UltraSatan once it arrives.

Is there any reason why I can't pull +7V off of my 520STfm's internal power supply? Going from memory, I believe there are +5, +12, and GND lines coming off of it (just as you would find on a PC), and I don't believe the UltraSatan will be too much of a current sink (maybe I'm wrong about that - anyone know?).

Shouldn't I be able to hook the + line of the UltraSatan lead up to +12V from the the ST and the - minus up to +5V for a +7V voltage differential? I'm thinking that I'll then run a little connector out of the ST through a vent hole in the case, and I should be in business. In that configuration, I'll have one cord going from the wall to the ST, with the UltraSatan connected to my custom power cable and the ASCI port.

Any thoughts?

Is there any reason why I can't pull +7V off of my 520STfm's internal power supply? Going from memory, I believe there are +5, +12, and GND lines coming off of it (just as you would find on a PC), and I don't believe the UltraSatan will be too much of a current sink (maybe I'm wrong about that - anyone know?).

Shouldn't I be able to hook the + line of the UltraSatan lead up to +12V from the the ST and the - minus up to +5V for a +7V voltage differential? I'm thinking that I'll then run a little connector out of the ST through a vent hole in the case, and I should be in business. In that configuration, I'll have one cord going from the wall to the ST, with the UltraSatan connected to my custom power cable and the ASCI port.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't dare to comment on the specifics of the Atari ST power supply, but in theory this sounds good. I remember reading about the voltage differential technique in an article on under-volting PC fans. It would certainly be nice to run the entire system off a single mains plug.

I'm still in the dark as to whether to expect a payment request, having registered on Saturday: I'll just assume the worst, then maybe I'll get a nice surprise. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't dare to comment on the specifics of the Atari ST power supply, but in theory this sounds good. I remember reading about the voltage differential technique in an article on under-volting PC fans. It would certainly be nice to run the entire system off a single mains plug.

I'm still in the dark as to whether to expect a payment request, having registered on Saturday: I'll just assume the worst, then maybe I'll get a nice surprise. :)

My biggest concern with my proposal is that you've got what amounts to a +5V "ground" powering the UltraSatan, while there is a +0V ground on the signal side.

Let me clarify: you've got the UltraSatan connected to the ASCI port, and the signal ground reference for that is +0V. Meanwhile, you're powering the UltraSatan off of a +5V ground. For the sake of powering the device, the differential is +7V (+12V - +5V), but if you measure the power connector's ground relative to the signal ground, the difference is +5V (+5V - 0V).

I am concerned that this could lead to a situation where, from the UltraSatan's perspective, the data signals appear to be between -5V and 0V, which would be a very bad thing. However, it is possible that the UltraSatan's power circuit is effectively isolated from the data circuit within the box, and in that case, the differential between the grounds does not matter.

I was hoping that somebody with better EE skills than I might have some thoughts.

As to the UltraSatan payment, I would log into your account on the website and see if the status reads "We're currently awaiting your payment." If it does say that, then you should be able to PayPal over the money.

Any thoughts?

My biggest concern with my proposal is that you've got what amounts to a +5V "ground" powering the UltraSatan, while there is a +0V ground on the signal side.

Let me clarify: you've got the UltraSatan connected to the ASCI port, and the signal ground reference for that is +0V. Meanwhile, you're powering the UltraSatan off of a +5V ground. For the sake of powering the device, the differential is +7V (+12V - +5V), but if you measure the power connector's ground relative to the signal ground, the difference is +5V (+5V - 0V).

I am concerned that this could lead to a situation where, from the UltraSatan's perspective, the data signals appear to be between -5V and 0V, which would be a very bad thing. However, it is possible that the UltraSatan's power circuit is effectively isolated from the data circuit within the box, and in that case, the differential between the grounds does not matter.

I was hoping that somebody with better EE skills than I might have some thoughts.

As to the UltraSatan payment, I would log into your account on the website and see if the status reads "We're currently awaiting your payment." If it does say that, then you should be able to PayPal over the money.

Well, I'm not excited about you "floating" the power supply relative to the ground, and as you deduced, there could be issues with the data side of things. That and the ST's power supply isn't the greatest to begin with.

I'd vote to not do that.

Well, I'm not excited about you "floating" the power supply relative to the ground, and as you deduced, there could be issues with the data side of things. That and the ST's power supply isn't the greatest to begin with.

I'd vote to not do that.

Thanks for your thoughts, poobah.

I've found its better to ask about these crazy ideas than to find out the hard way. :)

Thanks - I did as you suggested and sure enough they were waiting for the money! I'm all paid up now. :D

I'd vote to not do that.

Thanks for your thoughts, poobah.

I've found its better to ask about these crazy ideas than to find out the hard way. :)

Jookie, the guy who makes the SatanDisk and UltraSatan, answers very quickly

in the hardware section at Atari Forums. If I were you, I'd get this clarified by going

there and posting it.

Try this thread:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f...57&start=30

Let us know what you find out - I'd be curious as to whether you can do that or not

too. :)

Shouldn't I be able to hook the + line of the UltraSatan lead up to +12V from the the ST and the - minus up to +5V for a +7V voltage differential?

The UltraSatan has a rectifier, and I don't know the exact characteristics of the rectifier. But if it wasn't for the rectifier, I would say that your method is (almost) guaranteed to blow-up something. When you would connect the UltraSatan to the ST, you would connect both grounds, the ground of the ST to the ground of the UltraSatan, which in turn would be the 5V of the ST... short circuit.

The rectifier will provide some isolation, but I doubt it provides true galvanic isolation (which is what you would need). If it does, then I guess that in thoery it should work. You might ask Jookie for a more authoritative answer, but even then it doesn't look like a very elegant solution, and even a bit risky in the best case.

If you insist in taking power from the ST, then either connect 5V directly, or either take 12V and add yet another regulator.

The rectifier will provide some isolation, but I doubt it provides true galvanic isolation (which is what you would need). If it does, then I guess that in thoery it should work. You might ask Jookie for a more authoritative answer, but even then it doesn't look like a very elegant solution, and even a bit risky in the best case.

Yep -- that's the crux of my question: is the rectifier sufficient to provide true isolation? I was already somewhat skeptical that this would work (per my follow-up post), and I appreciate your insight.

Thanks!

Ok, my payment got returned???? Anyone know why this would be the case?

From what I can tell, they have two PayPal addresses, one for "paypal to paypal" transfers, and another for "credit card to paypal". If you're paying with a credit card, but sending the money to the wrong address, it says they'll refuse the transfer. They also charge an extra €3 or so for credit card transfers.

--Zero

you wouldn't have a rectifier if it is being fed with DC power.

The rectifier is not there for AC/DC conversion. Jookie put a rectifier for automatic polarity inversion, so that you could use either center positive or center negative connections.

haven't seen the schematics, so I cant comment much. But unless Jookie got really fancy, you still don't want to float the power supply.

Ok, my payment got returned???? Anyone know why this would be the case?

From what I can tell, they have two PayPal addresses, one for "paypal to paypal" transfers, and another for "credit card to paypal". If you're paying with a credit card, but sending the money to the wrong address, it says they'll refuse the transfer. They also charge an extra €3 or so for credit card transfers.

--Zero

That was the issue :o - my bad!