IGNORED

HSC Season 1 Week 2: The Pit

Deteacher

A saucer lands at the top of the screen, separated from a tank by a mountain. The player must dig underground tunnels, grab jewels, and return to the saucer before the tank shoots through the mountain and chases away the saucer. Various hazards include falling rocks and enemies that chase you, which you can shoot.

post-9712-1231629276_thumb.jpg

post-9712-1231629284_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game Name: The Pit

Released By: Centuri, 1982

Game Mode: Default settings

MAME ROMset: thepitc

Chosen By: Spiceware

Post your scores in this thread and I will update the leaderboard throughout the week. The deadline for posting scores will be Saturday, January 17th, 2009 @ 12:00 Noon (EST)

BONUS POINTS: The player with the best tips submitted will earn +2 bonus points this week.

CURRENT HIGH SCORES

1. 105,300 (Spiceware) [+11]

2. 51,100 (Shannon) [+10]

3. 41,100 (maximebeauvais) [+9]

4. 28,800 (aftermac) [+8]

5. 27,200 (LarcenTyler) [+7]

6. 23,100 (LaserHawk) [+6]

7. 11,000 (maibock) [+5]

8. 6,000 (JellE) [+4]

CURRENT POINT TOTALS

theking21803 (13)

Spiceware (10)

Dr Galaga (9)

Shannon (8)

maibock (7)

rxd (6)

aftermac (5)

maximebeauvais (4)

Artlover (3)

LarcenTyler (2)

BEST TIP

SpiceWare: don't dig underneath a boulder if there's another bolder sitting on top of it, it'll collapse on you right away. However, a 1 pixel wide line will support the boulders. [+2]

Edited by Deteacher

I forgot to specify the version - The Centuri one. Romset = thepitc

25,300 (high scores are at the bottom)

post-3056-1231624820_thumb.png

tips:

don't dig underneath a boulder if there's another bolder sitting on top of it, it'll collapse on you right away. However, a 1 pixel wide line will support the boulders.

don't get close to the robots chasing you in the mine, you'll lose any hand-to-hand encounters. You can shoot them though.

The Zonker Tank is your level timer - once it blasts through the mountain your ship will leave without you and the level ends.

Edited by SpiceWare

A couple of observations:

1. Do not get caught running vertically with a bad guy around. You can only shoot horizontally and will die easily.

2. If you're good at counting "shots" while concentrating what you're doing, there are 99 shots from the tank. The warning signal is at 94 and by then...unless you're really close, it'll be entirely too late to get out.

At least this is true for the first board which I couldn't complete. :)

And a couple of more:

1) The "Dig Dug Effect" doesn't seem to work (IE: Dropping the boulders on the bad guys!)

2) The ground definitely slows you down. A developed pattern would be useful.

3) Okay, is it me, or is this game insanely difficult? I get all the way around and try to get through the holes and get stuck by "one pixel". :)

3) Okay, is it me, or is this game insanely difficult? I get all the way around and try to get through the holes and get stuck by "one pixel". :)

It's difficult, though it seems harder in emulation than I remember it as a kid. I think how MAME handles joystick readings, plus using an Atari joystick via Stelladaptor (USB) comes into play in that MAME's reaction to a joystick position change lags just enough to be a factor.

I suspect that as the week goes on we'll get better at compensating for it.

41100 (second level)

1) I have played this game once or try back in the day I got my mame (I was going throw all those 5000 games !!!!!) and it was a boring game :)

2) Now, you have to do some practice shoot with the monster and the floor that goes away.

3) I think it's a MUST to get the 3 big diamonds (it will give you more point) because you do not know if you will be able to go back to the ship (oh man, I hat the floor that goes away

4) I will try it again tomorrow and I find this game very challenging since you have to be perfect almost all the time

I had the same problem.

I went online and downloaded a new rom and same problem.

Went back online and I saw on a web site that there were 3 roms

1) thepit.zip

2) thepitb.zip

3) thepitc.zip

and download all the 3 roms and it looked like I was missing the thepitc.zip rom......that could be your problem.

good luck

I always got frustrated by this game since the green pit on the left seems to be the only way out. You only get one shot to escape that way(enroute to your saucer) and if you overshoot the ceiling hole, you fall in the green pit. Ugh.

that's why is very important to get all the 3 jewels so if you fall into the pit, you will have the 8000 bonus even if you do not get to the saucer !!!!

when I first built my mame I had a PIII 933mhz in it but it died last year so I had a spare PC (PII 266mhz) that I put inside.

I always had trouble with that PII (rebout, freeze....etc). last night I was going to play again but nothing.....I was not able to boot.

so I removed the PII and I will put an other PIII 800mhz (i friend will give it to me tonight).

I can't wait to play it again. I will setup it tonight !!!!

BTW: we need more player here.....:)

I was wondering if it rolled at 99,999 since the high score area only had room for 5 digits. Nope - it it scoots the digits over.

post-3056-1231978458_thumb.png

So, where'd everybody else go? Did I scare you off with this choice? To me the big attraction to the HSC is getting exposed to games I never saw before. Otherwise I'd have picked something common like Rally X.

Edited by SpiceWare

I was wondering if it rolled at 99,999 since the high score area only had room for 5 digits. Nope - it it scoots the digits over.

post-3056-1231978458_thumb.png

So, where'd everybody else go? Did I scare you off with this choice? To me the big attraction to the HSC is getting exposed to games I never saw before. Otherwise I'd have picked something common like Rally X.

Congrats on making 6 digits! Awesome job.

Actually I'd love to see more obscure games picked. I have been playing, but I'm not going to submit any scores. I'm more into running it than actually competing. It's a fun game. I actually managed to complete the first board. :)

To me the big attraction to the HSC is getting exposed to games I never saw before. Otherwise I'd have picked something common like Rally X.

You got it :)

It's fun to find new games and play them.

BTW: congrat on your new hight score......I fixed my new PC Tuesday night and play one game. I was able to get the first level with all the jewel and still had my 3 lives. I had great hope for a good score but I made 3 crazy mistake after and finished with a 38000 something score :(

Actually I'd love to see more obscure games picked. I have been playing, but I'm not going to submit any scores. I'm more into running it than actually competing. It's a fun game. I actually managed to complete the first board. :)
Joy... A new game to hate... :lol:

j/k... Trying it out now.. L8r with a score