IGNORED

Atari800WinPlus 4.2

UNIXcoffee928

I'm in the process of preparing a "Maintenance Release" of Atari800WinPlus.

What I am doing is cleaning up the code, to make it more manageable for later releases. This means that it will be easier to add features in the future, because it will be more readable, be better documented, and simply put, easier to hack on.

Since this code has evolved over a loooong time, there are a lot of things in it that make it look a little like spaghetti... I'm going to do my best to give it an overall uniform set of eye-pleasing conventions.

Please don't ask for any new features. If there is something useful that I can add when I'm working on it, I'll add it, if it's quick. Otherwise, the executable 4.2 release will be pretty much functionally identical to the 4.0 release.

The difference is mostly in the source, which will be fully reformatted in a more academic fashion, meaning: Anyone with a background in programming should be able to look at the code & not get too confused.

I would like to get the whole thing to compile under the Digital Mars Compiler, and there is a good chance that it will... no guarantees on that though, for now.

If I can get it to compile on DM, then ANYONE can hack on it, as it won't require Micro$oft's compiler anymore.

As you may be aware, there was an experimental Beta of 4.1, which was buggy. I don't have the source code for this 4.1 release, and I'm going to just pretend it never happened, since it was an experimental release, anyway.

If anyone does have this 4.1 source, feel free to post it, so I can do diffs on it with 4.0 to see what was changed.

I will also be looking into incorporating modern updates to the Atari800 release into Atari800Win, but this will be in 4.2.1 if such a thing happens.

The reason that I'm bothering to do this is that I like the program. Nobody has maintained it for a long time, and I'd like to make it easier for new feature to start appearing in the program.

If anyone wants to do test compiles or contribute in their own way, feel free talk about it here.

L8R.

If anyone wants to do test compiles or contribute in their own way, feel free talk about it here.

I'd love to see this and can help with testing. I use a800winplus for development all the time but mostly I prefer 3.0 because my BBS:Stick stuff works good with it. There are cycling issues with 4.0 - it won't answer after a carrier loss sometimes so 4.0 is basically unusable on a BBS.

Good stuff.

I persisted with 4.1 for a while because it does some of the cycle-exact Antic/GTIA stuff better, such as mid-line GTIA mode switches.

On the downside, the sound tends to play up and sometimes you get weird things like the screen not updating. Load/save state seem buggy if you have multithreading enabled, etc etc.

I think one of the biggest feature wants though, would definately be window stretching.

Cool, thanks. I'll post some stuff by Friday.

I'm currently working on all of the .cpp files in the "Sources" directory, so they will be first. File "MainFrame" is looooong!

First we'll need to test compile under Visual C++ to be sure that no errors crept in during editing. I am paying attention, though, so it should be pretty error-free. You will like what you see, it's shaping up nicely.

Now is a good time to download & setup the Digital Mars compiler, if you're interested in playing around with it. I use it with the editor, "ConTEXT", and it's a very nice environment.

I know, the window sizing issue & no cut & paste functionality are the two things that irk me the most. Those should be top on the list once we have a more usable code-base to work with. We'll get there.

Thanks for the responses! I'll be in touch when we have enough to get started; plan on having some code to hack at for the weekend!

Edited by UNIXcoffee928

Great Stuff. "Please don't ask for any new features" :D just a couple of thoughts what about making this easier for beginners to play 8-bit games... such as including all the ROM files and having these setup, making basic toggleable automatically if something fails to load, having one place to load files rather than all the various options... what about fixing the issue where games sometimes don't work when you associate the file-type and double-click them but do work when you load them directly?

I'll help play test when ready :)

I think there might still be © issues with including the ROMs.

Another thing I forgot to mention... get it to remember File Paths for each individual function that has a file selector, rather than allowing one to change another's setting.

Would also be nice to be able to setup a path where the memory load/save commands within the monitor go to. Seems like ATM it just dumps stuff in whatever directory you last saved something to.

This NOT an immediate feature request :) - but it would be nice if one day Atari800Win would work with the latest SDX ROM images.

I have Atari800Win working fine with the latest 4.42 release... :)

Yikes - when did that happen? I could never get them working before...

Great stuff, though - thanks. :D

I have to admit, Atari800 Plus is my favorite emulator BY FAR!!! I love it! I bought my first 400 back in 80, and have loved Atari ever since. Been emulating since 85 with the ST emulating a Mac and PC. Yes, i had mame .01 and even Nicolas Multi Pac emulator before that. :P

I love A8+, but I just have one question....

Why does OSA & OSB (Original 400 & 800) only have 52k available? I know most had 48k (myself included in my 800), but there were memory upgrades for 64k and more. Just curious.

Scotty

Edited by scotty

It's just something I whipped up for emulator usage... I actually made the car file the day 4.42 was released... Never thought of letting anyone else have a copy of it as I figured that if I could do it, then others could as well... But seeing as I have great respect for you flashjazzcat and use your Last Word word processor and MA65 assembler quite regularly since you've released them, I figured the least I could do is make it available to you (and others wanting to use 4.42 in an emulator) after reading your post... It's nothing more than a 1MB Atarimax Flashcart rom file... Nothing fancy...

Hmmm... I guess I should have posted it in the official 4.42 thread... :ponder:

Edited by dwhyte

It's just something I whipped up for emulator usage... I actually made the car file the day 4.42 was released... Never thought of letting anyone else have a copy of it as I figured that if I could do it, then others could as well... But seeing as I have great respect for you flashjazzcat and use your Last Word word processor and MA65 assembler quite regularly since you've released them, I figured the least I could do is make it available to you (and others wanting to use 4.42 in an emulator) after reading your post... It's nothing more than a 1MB Atarimax Flashcart rom file... Nothing fancy...

Hmmm... I guess I should have posted it in the official 4.42 thread... :ponder:

Thanks - this is very greatly appreciated. :D I've continued the discussion in the 4.42 thread.

What somebody really needs to do is just make a Gamebase for the Atari....

I'd do it, but my time is way too tied up in other projects..

There is one check the link

http://www.gamebase64.com/forum/viewtopic....sc&start=90

I was thinking more of one with proper config setups so the games can load without the user having to change/tweak any settings like computer type, pal/ntsc, cart/exe/disk, etc. As well as one that uses the proper images for games (when they exist), etc. Edited by Shannon

STATUS UPDATE:

OK, things are shaping up nicely in the source code. I've converted a lot of the legacy c comments to cpp comments for the files in the "Sources" directory. I've applied a unified commenting format to everything, to make future updates easier; you'll find a sample of the convention used in the codebox below. Let me know if there is any other info that you would like to see added to this type of code documentation:

[font="Lucida Console"][size=1][color="#000000"]//================================================================================
// OnFileAttachDiskImageDrive1
//================================================================================
// Method   : CMainFrame::OnFileAttachDiskImageDrive1
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// LAST UPDATE: V. 4.0
//
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// NOTES:
//
//
// #FN# Attaches a disk image to an emulated drive 1
//
// #AS# Nothing
//
//================================================================================

void

CMainFrame::
OnFileAttachDiskImageDrive1()
{
SuspendThread();
DriveInsert( 1 );
CleanScreen();
ResumeThread();
} 

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
// #OF# CMainFrame::OnFileAttachDiskImageDrive1
//................................................................................[/size]

[/color][/font]

Dan is performing compilation testing with the Digital Mars compiler. We should have some more info over the course of the week.