IGNORED

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

mimo

This part about the anti fungus spray makes it work, i think:

Zusammensetzung: Bleichmittel auf Sauerstoffbasis, waschaktive Substanzen

What the product contains: Bleaching agent on oxygin-base, cleaning agents. If i recall correctly the 'retro cleaning' stuff was all 'oxygen based'. Offcourse the bleach also helps. I don't think it's any good against fungi though. Just makes them invisible for a while hehe..

Problem for me, i live in an appartment, where i get little Sun inside :(

Oh, and I found the spray on ebay for around 5 euro's ex shipping, most sellers do EU/worldwide shipping too..

Also, if anyone knows a good alternative to this available in The Netherlands, let me know.. (i took a look at the stuff from HG but nothing with oxygen-based bleach stuff.)

What the product contains: Bleaching agent on oxygin-base, cleaning agents. If i recall correctly the 'retro cleaning' stuff was all 'oxygen based'. Offcourse the bleach also helps. I don't think it's any good against fungi though. Just makes them invisible for a while hehe..

There is a list of contents on the web-page:

------

AQUA

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

TRIDECETH-9

PEG-200 MONTANATE

PROPYLENE GLYCOL

PHOSPHONIC ACID

PARFUM

SULFURIC ACID

LIMONENE

-----

Like in most mixtures mentioned here, the hydrogen peroxid mainly does the job (9.8%).

The anti-fungus effect is IMHO caused by the low pH-value (3,0 - 4,0) - fungi don't like such environment.

Problem for me, i live in an appartment, where i get little Sun inside :(

Shouldn't be a problem: The sunlight just accelerates the job. Thorsten mentioned that he sprays the mixture on kitchen-paper to reduce evaporation and covers the items with the paper. He puts the parts into his bathtub, where they stay for more than a day until he is content.

Also, if anyone knows a good alternative to this available in The Netherlands, let me know.. (i took a look at the stuff from HG but nothing with oxygen-based bleach stuff.)

The company has an agency in the Netherlands too (and also in the UK):

http://www.mellerud....iederlande.html

Edited by Irgendwer

BTW: Did anybody repot an Atari XL/XE into an Atari ST/Mega STE case? There would be enough room for some enhancements, build in drive(s) etc. without breaking the overall Atari look. Is there demand for a ST keyboard to XL/XE adapter?

Many years ago I modified an Atari 260 ST case to fit a 130XE. Using these short cases (no internal floppy drive) makes a nice case. The problem I had was the keyboard. I had one from an old terminal keyboard with separate keys (no PCB) that I could rewire. It almost fitted the ST case but was just a little bit to thick. Never finished the project.

nd8top.jpg

290pmjm.jpg

edit: typo

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

I've always wanted to do that! Use the ST's keyboard including the number block thingie (what's it called in English again?), the up/down/left/right keys and the function keys remapped to the XL/XE. Use the stock ST 3.5" drive as a build-in "XF351", install a nice RAM disk, a hard disk, SIO2USB, maybe stereo POKEY and call it a day. :)

Edit: maybe the mods/admin should split this into a new thread. Such a project would be awesome!

Edited by 31336haxx0r

• 4 weeks later...

I've always wanted to do that! Use the ST's keyboard including the number block thingie (what's it called in English again?),

Number pad :-)

Though I've heard the term "number thingies on the right" used in govt offices here. Of course they call their computer a "hard drive" instead of a CPU or computer. And we're talking folks in the DSS IT department. I fear for the future of my children.

I have a spare 520ST (without the internal floppy) siting around collecting dust. Maybe this would be a good use for it? How hard was this to do?

This is not the right topic for case mods I guess. Will dig up the partially modified case I've still laying around and open a new topic for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I do use a product found in hair saloons, "Colormax 40" it's an italian product what is basicly a 40vol oxidant cream for hair decoloration.

You only need a brush to apply it, it performs great, it will take less time under sun exposure. It's not dangerous at all, you don't need to play the alchemist role and you only need to be a bit cautious because yep, exposure to the skin would do a moderate damage, however it's very easy to handle and apply because it's a cream.

I hope this helps.

Edited by DyLucke

Retro-brightening in germany is very easy.

Just enter a DIY-store and buy some of 'Mellerud mildew remover'.

http://www.mellerud....llerud_bio.html

I've paid EUR 7,99 for 500ml.

While the case (an old second hand 130XE with non homogenous staining) laid in the september sun, I've applied some spray 4 times (when the case looked dry). After 5 hours, I've got the attached result.

I've got here an Atari ST with very bad yellowing, I'm quite curious how that will come out - so that will be my next victim.

BTW: Did anybody repot an Atari XL/XE into an Atari ST/Mega STE case? There would be enough room for some enhancements, build in drive(s) etc. without breaking the overall Atari look. Is there demand for a ST keyboard to XL/XE adapter?

BR

Irgendwer

Results look great, might have to try the mildew remover method myself.

Anyone know if this stuff is sold in the U.S or what an equivelent U.S product might be?

Anyone know if this stuff is sold in the U.S or what an equivelent U.S product might be?

The information text says they deliver also to the U.S..

I would try to enter their online shop ( http://www.mellerud.de/en/shop.html )

and place an order. You can also pay with PayPal. Don't ask me about the shipping costs.

Edit: Sorry - just noticed the online shop delivers only to Germany. Maybe calling them could help to

find an U.S. seller.

Edited by Irgendwer

• 3 weeks later...

800XE before and after:

post-21964-0-14689200-1322949030_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the "before" picture fails to show just how green the bottom right hand corner and entire front edge of the case had gone.

Interesting thing about this one (although almost impossible to convey in photographs) is that the top and bottom case halves are apparently made from a different batch of plastic and have aged and discoloured in totally different ways.

Edited by flashjazzcat

800XE before and after:

Before and After.jpg

Unfortunately the "before" picture fails to show just how green the bottom right hand corner and entire front edge of the case had gone.

Interesting thing about this one (although almost impossible to convey in photographs) is that the top and bottom case halves are apparently made from a different batch of plastic and have aged and discoloured in totally different ways.

So you used the gel on the keys? Did it fade the letters in any way? My 1200XL keys are pretty yellow (the key letters) and I was thinking about trying to brighten them up.

So you used the gel on the keys? Did it fade the letters in any way? My 1200XL keys are pretty yellow (the key letters) and I was thinking about trying to brighten them up.

I show the crappiest XE keyboards (the ultra cheapo Sugiyama or Action Technology rubber-cup ones, not the superior Mistumi sprung ones, which I restore with great care) no mercy when treating them, since they discolour badly and don't come up good. A 1200XL would be a different story, and I'm not sure what peroxide would do to the dark brown plastic. I'd be more inclined to give the keycaps a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and some mild soapy water.

Actually what I forgot to mention was that 800XE is shown with a Mistumi keyboard in the "after" pic, which I realize is cheating. The original keyboard is one of the rubber cup / folded mylar models and it will take a long, hot summer to get that one cleaned up on the kitchen windowsill.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...