How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

879 replies to this topic

#876 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

Stargunner

• 1,824 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:15 PM

Oh and by the way, I used SalonCare Professional 30 Volume Cream from Sally's Beauty Supply for the case bottom today, after using Clairol 40 Volume liquid for the horrible top yesterday. I'm pretty happy except for the front, left corner, which I need to re-do next sunny afternoon I have free. 

1200XL_peroxide_day2_back.jpg

1200XL_peroxide_day2_ bottom_front_left.jpg

#877 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

Stargunner

• 1,824 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:19 PM

So I had a few faint light-brownish spots remaining after last weekend's massive effort to remove the worst yellowing of any XL machine I own. Today I used 30 Vol Cream for approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes in the bright morning sun, and the top is now just about perfect. I'll apply ArmorAll to help protect the surface and call it good. :)

IMG_8335.JPG

#878 Matej OFFLINE  

Matej

Moonsweeper

• 282 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 AM

Can I spray peroxid??? (to have same layer everywhere)???

#879 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,042 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 AM

Can I spray peroxid??? (to have same layer everywhere)???

I don't think you'd want to do that. Peroxide isn't something you want getting on anything it shouldn't be on, so you'd have to be in a really controlled environment to start with. And then I just don't think you'd get any advantage out of it, because if you spray liquid hydrogen peroxide, it's just going to drip and dry anyway. The reason you use it as a paste is so it stays in place and takes a lot longer to dry.

It's not hard to use a brush to get an even coating of whatever paste/gel solution you're using. And anyway it's not so much an even coating that you need as it is just having at least some of it everywhere you need it. As a liquid, you're going to end up with totally bare spots where it's just dripped off.

#880 Osgeld ONLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 3,560 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 PM

As a liquid, you're going to end up with totally bare spots where it's just dripped off.

which is why people that use liquid form, have the parts submerged in a clear container 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users