Photo

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

959 replies to this topic

#951 juansolo OFFLINE  

juansolo

Chopper Commander

• 216 posts

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 AM

Sadly the Mitsumi keyboard Mylar from under that yellow mess is irretrievably shot.

http://atariage.com/...eyboard-mylars/

#952 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,583 posts

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:29 AM

http://atariage.com/...eyboard-mylars/

Thanks, but this one needs the single layer Mitsumi Mylar Duddie said he was going to produce. There's apparently a hack enabling the use of the double-layer Mylar in the Mitsumi keyboard, and the machine's owner is going to try that.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:30 AM.

#953 juansolo OFFLINE  

juansolo

Chopper Commander

• 216 posts

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 AM

Ah, bugger. Shame.

#954 Kavik OFFLINE  

Kavik

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 PM

For those who have retrobrighted an XL machine, I was curious how to deal with the clear plastic bezel.  I'm leery about trying to remove it for fear of breaking it, but also scared of getting the mixture and/or water under the bezel.

Any tips would be appreciated! :-D

#955 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,583 posts

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 AM

You can remove it safely with a guitar pick or plastic spudger. Gently insert the tool in the narrow gap either side of the perspex panel and the lugs will release.

#956 Kavik OFFLINE  

Kavik

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2018 8:23 PM

You can remove it safely with a guitar pick or plastic spudger. Gently insert the tool in the narrow gap either side of the perspex panel and the lugs will release.

Hi flashjazzcat--

Thanks for the tip, though I guess I should have clarified that I was trying to remove the clear panel from the 1200XL.

I used a plastic spudger and tried to gently lift the bezel thinking that a lug would eventually release, only to have the end of the panel crack and break off! :_( Thinking it was a fluke I tried the same procedure from the other side, but the bezel starting cracking there as well.

Luckily it was my "practice" on the unit that I fried last year. Still it was painful to inflict the damage on this 38-year old survivor. :(  

I tried your tip on an 800XL and the panel came right off, so I was a little mystified. However, upon closer inspection I saw that the 1200XL panel was an inlay with no apparent way to remove without damaging the panel or surrounding case.

After studying it for a while, I finally was able to snap off the entire brown plastic portion of the shell from the rest of the top cover, and the clear panel popped right out. :-D The clear bezel is wedged between the two components. 

Hopefully this will help others avoid the same pain and suffering. ;)

Edited by Kavik, Fri Jun 1, 2018 9:20 PM.

#957 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,583 posts

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2018 11:24 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I could have told you straight away that the 1200XL's perspex panel is held in place by the brown plastic section. :)

#958 Kavik OFFLINE  

Kavik

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 12:53 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I could have told you straight away that the 1200XL's perspex panel is held in place by the brown plastic section. :)

No worries. It was a fortuitous mistake since I learned how to disassemble the top case so I can retrobrite just the beige portion.

My only question left before I give this a try is how to best protect the label on the bottom of the machine.

#959 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,583 posts

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 1:49 PM

I'd mask off the recessed part with electrician's tape and a bit of plastic bag. It means the area immediately surrounding the label will stay yellow, but other than permanently covering the label with transparent adhesive film, there's not much else you can do. The label on my first 1200XL was badly damaged and held together with sticky-tape to begin with, so I eventually took it off, scanned it, and made a replacement which I haven't yet affixed. :)

#960 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,244 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2018 8:03 PM

When I retr0brighted my Ugly Duckling 1200XL last summer, I masked off the brown parts and the clear Lexan/Perspex clear plastic with blue painters tape. Since I was just coating with Clairol hair peroxide gel and not immersing the whole thing in a tub of solution, this worked very well.

For what it’s worth, I’ve still never managed to separate the brown and white plastic bits from the top of an XL case before losing my nerve about breaking something and backing out. :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users