IGNORED

Secret new Atari console project

That was speculation during when Garder and Harrison were coming on board and starting to reshape things. What they were reshaping for, as we now know, is online distribution. They are not interested in any hardware products - not even licensing the name and logo to use on someone elses hardware.

We actually had plans in the queue for a competitively priced downloadable content only console, but that was put on hold now as well. Maybe someday.....

Edited by wgungfu

That was speculation during when Garder and Harrison were coming on board and starting to reshape things. What they were reshaping for, as we now know, is online distribution. They are not interested in any hardware products - not even licensing the name and logo to use on someone elses hardware.

We actually had plans in the queue for a competitively priced downloadable content only console, but that was put on hold now as well. Maybe someday.....

Are you working for infogrammes Wgungfu

We as in Legacy.

We as in Legacy.

I only asked as i found it difficult to separate the two paragraphs, so i was assuming you were talking about the same thing

I'm not trying to be neggy about the whole new Atari situation, but i get the feeling that Atari are making a big boo boo by putting all there eggs in one basket and hedging everything on online content/gaming...after all you don't hear of EA, Activision etal ditching traditional retail product in favour of 100 p/c exclusive online content/gaming...or are you saying that Atari have a crystal ball and can forsee the future of where gaming is going (assuming that infogrammes has the lolly and interest in keeping Atari alive/afloat)

I'm not trying to be neggy about the whole new Atari situation, but i get the feeling that Atari are making a big boo boo by putting all there eggs in one basket and hedging everything on online content/gaming...after all you don't hear of EA, Activision etal ditching traditional retail product in favour of 100 p/c exclusive online content/gaming...or are you saying that Atari have a crystal ball and can forsee the future of where gaming is going (assuming that infogrammes has the lolly and interest in keeping Atari alive/afloat)

I'm guessing Atari is just too scared to take any risk with money right now.

But when the economy sucked in the 70s, new consoles thrived, so I think they are losing out, especially since they can't really make much headway on the gaming scene. (I saw Ghostbusters- not impressed, I'm afraid.)

.or are you saying that Atari have a crystal ball and can forsee the future of where gaming is going (assuming that infogrammes has the lolly and interest in keeping Atari alive/afloat)

I think you're a bit confused, Infogrames = Atari, there is no seperation anymore. When I'm refering to "Atari doesn't want to do hardware of any sort" I'm refering to Infogrames, they are in complete control of any and all Atari branded things. Atari Inc. (who was a licensor of the name and brand, but still somewhat autonomous until the complete buyout) is just a branch of Infogrames. All their branches are branded "Atari". The entire brand is headquartered at Infogrames now.

I'm guessing Atari is just too scared to take any risk with money right now.

But when the economy sucked in the 70s, new consoles thrived, so I think they are losing out, especially since they can't really make much headway on the gaming scene. (I saw Ghostbusters- not impressed, I'm afraid.)

Yeah, video games are big right now... and movies kinda suck this time around (whereas they were also big in the 70s).

Anyway, retro gamers would probably be disappointed by a new system.

The only things that I know are in the works for a certain branch of Atari fanatics are: 1.) The JagDuo unit and 2.) The Jag2 unit.These are currently being worked on by Curt Vendel for some sort of release by 2010 or something,I guess.I'm not sure if this applies to this topic you have going here.(?)Just thought I'd check and see what it was about and chime in with a few words that might apply.Sorry if I intruded and got off topic. :)

Yeah, video games are big right now... and movies kinda suck this time around (whereas they were also big in the 70s).

I liked Ghostbusters the movie(s). The Atari game though- just took way too long to get out. It would have been cool 5 years ago, but even then, it wouldn't have held a candle to Quake 4. Most new PC/console games that sell seem to be smart, innovative, or involve behavior that is really not socially acceptable. Ghostbusters game doesn't meet any of those criteria. BTW, I know you know it, but Ghostbusters was made in the 80s. ;) Hats off to Atari for getting it out, but they won't make much money off of it these days.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

The only things that I know are in the works for a certain branch of Atari fanatics are: 1.) The JagDuo unit and 2.) The Jag2 unit.These are currently being worked on by Curt Vendel for some sort of release by 2010 or something,I guess.I'm not sure if this applies to this topic you have going here.(?)Just thought I'd check and see what it was about and chime in with a few words that might apply.Sorry if I intruded and got off topic. :)

No, that is cool stuff! Thanks for sharing! I had no idea Curt was working on other consoles. That is awesome!

That so far has strictly been in conversations only with a party that wishes to invest in those projects and has asked that I make all of the original mechanicals, materials, VHDL code and other aspects available for them. I have not heard anything further as of yet, so just want to make sure that is clear.

Curt

That so far has strictly been in conversations only with a party that wishes to invest in those projects and has asked that I make all of the original mechanicals, materials, VHDL code and other aspects available for them. I have not heard anything further as of yet, so just want to make sure that is clear.

Curt

The Jaguar II project sounds very interesting. Could it be programmed to play Blu-Ray discs with 24bit audio?

Hello,

My personal opinion is that there IS a market for a new game console. Even in past the jag could have success although compared to PS1 and Saturn and N64 it might have been the less powerful system when you look at 3D... Look at what the Nintendo Wii is today... This is what the jag could have been back these days... A new console has to be somehow innovative... something new. I think you won´t have success in just releasing a new console which plays 3d games like every system does.. but the idea behind the nuon isn´t that bad at all... My wife always complains about those many machines standing in our living room... if there would be a new console - call it jaguar III :) that replaces all of them... that would rock...

If it played Blue-Ray, it is backward compatible to the Jaguar and Jag CD (for the Atari fans) and has, for example a built-in Linux with free emulators for nearly all recent game consoles and has enough power to emulate the newer ones... why not?

Maybe combine it with wii style controllers and give it frets on fire on it´s way (guitra hero clone)... I am sure this would succeed...

And make it stream all your media from pc, etc... A new multimedia console... this would rock!

And price it under the other game systems and make exklusive game downloads for them...

But I don´t think atari (infogrames), or anyone other has got the balls to do this... they all bow down to sony and microsoft and that´s a real shame! I don´t like those companies, I never did, as they killed atari. Nintendo is the only left 1st generation video game pioneer. Sega did a great job with the Dreamcast, but now they are not bulding consoles anymore and also bow down to the others while releasing games for them...

Strange world!

If it played Blue-Ray, it is backward compatible to the Jaguar and Jag CD (for the Atari fans) and has, for example a built-in Linux with free emulators for nearly all recent game consoles and has enough power to emulate the newer ones... why not?
The Blu-Ray option might also appeal to Wii owners as the Wii will never be able to play Blu-ray discs.

One way of selling the Jaguar II to existing console and computer owners would be to give it a built in broadband modem and wireless router. Other wi-fi consoles and computers could then use the Jag II to connect to the internet or for online gaming.

Edited by Math You