IGNORED

Anyone tried the new R-Type XBLA game yet?

FastRobPlus

I paid for it because I had 4,000 points burning a hole in my XBLA account. I like it. I never played the game in the arcade but it's fun. I think it's pretty cool that they included a mode with infinite lives where you can see how many lives it takes you to finish the game. You can switch between old school and new graphics while playing the game by hitting the Y button. That's kind of annoying if you accidentally hit the Y button.

The game has both R-Type and R-Type II and a co-op mode as well. I haven't tried co-op mode. Apparently co-op works locally or online.

I think people would probably give the game a lot higher ratings if it was $10 instead of $15 though. I don't know that it's worth $15.

Edited by HammR25

I like it quite a bit. It's a near perfect port of the original. All of the enemies are in the right spots, and it's still tough as hell. The graphics are a beautiful update to the original, and they look simply stunning on my plasma tv. all in all, this is a prefect example of how to update a classic: keep it the same, and pretty it up a whole bunch. It's a great game!

I never played the first R-Type, but I don't know if its worth the $15.

I liked it but after 2 runs, I was able to complete the demo without losing a life.

I can't wait to build my joystick for these kinds of games.

With that... Raiden Fighters Aces... WHAT?!?!?!

Yay, another reason to build my joystick!

I never played the first R-Type, but I don't know if its worth the $15.

I liked it but after 2 runs, I was able to complete the demo without losing a life.

I can't wait to build my joystick for these kinds of games.

With that... Raiden Fighters Aces... WHAT?!?!?!

Yay, another reason to build my joystick!

You can pre-order Raiden Fighters Aces on Amazon. Release date currently March 24. Only $30

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PA0FBS

Guys, R-Type is worth the 1200 points IMHO. The graphical overhaul is spectacular, I mean the 3D upgrade is absolutely beautiful, and you can still play with the original 2D gfx at any time. You can morph from 2D to 3D ANY TIME, or vice versa. It's really fun to morph back to 2d at any given point to see exactly what's been changed and improved graphically.

The games sure are challenging enough, I can't even get past lvl 2 yet on either R-Type 1 or 2, but it's still fun. Frustrating at times, but fun.

You can pre-order Raiden Fighters Aces on Amazon. Release date currently March 24. Only $30

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PA0FBS

Raiden III didn't really grab me, but this game pack looks a lot like Strikers 1945, which I really enjoy.

Preordered.

Yeah, Raiden Fighters Aces is a compilation of Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2: Operation Helldive, and Raiden Fighters Jet. All old school 2d vert shmups. I think Raiden 4 is supposed to be on there too, but don't quote me on that.

Here's a youtube video preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6pGbxzetxc

Guys, R-Type is worth the 1200 points IMHO. The graphical overhaul is spectacular, I mean the 3D upgrade is absolutely beautiful, and you can still play with the original 2D gfx at any time. You can morph from 2D to 3D ANY TIME, or vice versa. It's really fun to morph back to 2d at any given point to see exactly what's been changed and improved graphically.

The games sure are challenging enough, I can't even get past lvl 2 yet on either R-Type 1 or 2, but it's still fun. Frustrating at times, but fun.

R-Type has always been a great game. But I don't see the need to pay $15 just for a graphics update. That's all this game is. I already have several versions of R-Type, and this just doesn't seem worth it to me...

R-Type has always been a great game. But I don't see the need to pay $15 just for a graphics update. That's all this game is. I already have several versions of R-Type, and this just doesn't seem worth it to me...

I didn't buy it, and a part of the reason why not was because I already had both games. But it was a very near thing.

Because updated graphics are cool. Especially updated graphics like these. If I played the heck out of R-Types, I'd be all over this. This is one of the first Live Arcade releases I've been interested in for a long time.

• 3 years later...

I just recently got this game for free. And man!!! It's hard!!!! I never played this back in the 8-bit days but yikes... Makes today's games look like chump games. Thank goodness they have an unlimited continues mode that let me finish it. I've played R-Type I but haven't started R-Type II. Man, kudos to those that finish this game on 3 lives!!!!! :-D

Enjoy it while it's still easy-going--R-Type II is a lot more challenging than the first one. ;)

I've been meaning to purchase this though, if anything just to have it. IREM's stuff is getting pulled from services left and right since they are basically shutting down (if it hasn't already happened). I just wish it wasn't still $15.

I do recall trying a demo of it a while back and not caring for it all that much. Some elements felt off and not quite accurate compared to the arcade original. However, I found out recently that apparently the development team wasn't provided any assets or content from IREM and had to build the game from the ground up. Considering that, they did a pretty damn good job.

I just wish it wasn't still $15.

I do recall trying a demo of it a while back and not caring for it all that much. Some elements felt off and not quite accurate compared to the arcade original. However, I found out recently that apparently the development team wasn't provided any assets or content from IREM and had to build the game from the ground up. Considering that, they did a pretty damn good job.

A bunch of people got in on the buy.com deal where you get 1 year of Xbox Live Gold for $40 with 5 XBLA titles free (Lode Runner, R-Type Dimensions, Aqua, The Maw, and Snoopy Flying Ace). that's how I got R-Type Dimensions.

so if you go over to CAG (cheapassgamers), I'm sure you can buy it from someone dirt cheap.

by the way, if you guys renew Xbox Live Gold during the month of March, you'll get 400 Microsoft points as a reward if you're an Xbox Live Rewards member (signup is free and there's no obligations).

As for the game itself, I'm surprised they didn't have access to the code or that it's not some sort of emulation. Kind of sucks that it's not arcade authentic in terms of the game code but the graphics are just awesome. Switching the graphics back and forth with the Y button is shocking. Like switching between classic Halo graphics and new Anniversary graphics.

Edited by onlysublime

I was one of those people who picked up the buy.com deal....thanks onlysublime for the tip on that.

Anyway, not to change course on this topic, BUT if anyone wants to trade a code for AlanWake's American Nightmare (I think you can buy a code for this, right?) for both R-Type and The Maw, which I already have played through (fun game BTW) let me know. As much as I'm happy to own R-Type, I just know that it's not really my thing, while I really want to play American Nightmare.

I'm going to start a thread over at the Marketplace, so respond over there please or else PM me.

Well I have to reverse some of my negative thoughts about the game. After snagging Metal Ghosts's code from the marketplace, I gave it more time tonight. Really, it's pretty good. The first time I tried it, some things really put me off. These same things didn't stick out so badly tonight and don't seem as serious to me now as they did whenever I played it last. For instance, the hit detection can be a little off when playing in the 3D mode. Nothing game-breaking though. The charge beam also doesn't seem to cut through certain enemies properly, nor does it do as much damage on certain bosses. Most-notably, the battleship boss does not go down with one charged shot like it does in the arcade--it takes several here. It's strange it acts this way, because the first boss still goes down in one hit with a fully charged beam, likewise with the first boss in R-Type II. That aside though, it's definitely a nice little package. There's even an "infinite" mode where you get as many lives as you want without the start-back mode--great for beginners. I just wish they gave the option for remixed music to go along with the optional, sleek 3D visuals.

There's even an "infinite" mode where you get as many lives as you want without the start-back mode--great for beginners. I just wish they gave the option for remixed music to go along with the optional, sleek 3D visuals.

yes, i'm embarrassed by how many lives it took to finish R-Type I. :P

when you're talking about the 3D mode, are you talking about the new graphics versus the 8-bit graphics? where you hit Y to switch between new graphics and old graphics? because the new graphics in R-Type I didn't seem particularly 3D. or is the 3D in the second game?