IGNORED

What PS3 games are you currently playing?

HammR25

Went to my local used games shop today (I was roaming around town playing Ingress, hacking portails) and ended up with 3 more games. L.A. Noire (cheaper than online version on PSN), Resident Evil 5 (I never played ANY Resident Evil games...) and Wolfenstein (not the recent one, the one before). Buy 2, get 1 free. The Free one was Wolfenstein :)

Except I don't know when I'll have the time to play it

• Like 1

I'm playing Dragon Crown. It's good fun, but in big battles when there are several enemies and allies on the screen at once it's impossible to tell what is going on. At that point it just turns into a button-masher. Plus I can't figure out how to do the side quests. They give locations, but those locations aren't showing on my map.

If the first few quests are any indication, you basically revisit the areas you've already been for side quests.

I'm currently trying to play some Dragon's Crown myself, although haven't sat down to play much of anything lately. With the temperatures starting to come down lately I'll probably pick up Project Diva again and mix in a few other games.

I really should try to get back into Ni no Kuni at some point.

I decided to try the free version of DC Universe Online. i tried the PC version years ago and wasn't thrilled, but I wanted to see how/if it had changed and how it plays on the PS3. I still think City of Heroes was an infinitely better superhero MMO.

Regardless after playing the first real mission I learned that I have definitely outgrown the MMO grind. "Go kill 15 baddies" just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I decided to try the free version of DC Universe Online. i tried the PC version years ago and wasn't thrilled, but I wanted to see how/if it had changed and how it plays on the PS3. I still think City of Heroes was an infinitely better superhero MMO.

Regardless after playing the first real mission I learned that I have definitely outgrown the MMO grind. "Go kill 15 baddies" just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I experienced more or less he same progression. Luckily Project1999 exists for me to indulge my MMO nostalgia.

And the PSN is down...

Due to a DDoS attack apparently. Kinda Sony of them to put off admitting something was wrong as long as possible though. It's probably the biggest thing that pisses me off with Sony's gaming division. (And why they'll never get a credit card number out of me ever, so they better make sure they continue selling prepaid cards.)

Mostly, I've been focusing on Akiba's Trip.

I'm starting in on that tonight. I had it on earlier just to make sure it was installed and ready to go later tonight.

And a fairly irrational peeve surfaced instantly. The first thing the game does is give an anti-piracy warning. I've seen it forever on movies and the like - and the net result of that is that I buy/rent a movie probably once every couple of years - usually when it's on a major sale in the 10 dollar range.

The net result for xseed, despite them being one of the few remaining publishers I still look forward to games and give the occasional impulse buy to (such as with Akiba's Trip), is that I'm likely not going to be buying any more of their games for a year or two. (Admittedly, if I see one of their titles go for 10 bucks or something, I may still buy it. But certainly not buying anything launch day from them.)

Irrational, sure. Do I care? No. I have way too much to play as it is, I won't miss anything they release before 2017.

• Like 1

I'm starting in on that tonight. I had it on earlier just to make sure it was installed and ready to go later tonight.

And a fairly irrational peeve surfaced instantly. The first thing the game does is give an anti-piracy warning.

It is a rather jokey one.

Considering how tongue in cheek the game is even in terms of game design, I can definitely see ascribing the copyright notice as another part of the joke. It's kind of like watching an anime video where the characters from the show tell you to watch in a well lit room, Those copyright notices can almost be as integral to a show as the 20th Century Fox fanfare and logo is to Star Wars..

Maybe I'm reading intent to it where there was none, but that's the way I'm interpreting it right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some serious catching up to do with my playing through PS3 games and getting trophies. Over on psnprofiles I'm trying not to let my total percentage drop below 30%. Recently I started trying Soul Calibur Lost Swords simply because it would be an easy playthough (and I like the solo content of the previous SC games). Working my way though Castlevania Lords of Shadow, want to get at least one playthrough of Akiba's Trip in after that, and then it's playing some of my backlog. I have 244 games for my PS3 alone, and some I put into the system to try out before putting it on the shelf, hence that 30%.

Started Fairy Fencer F last night.

Already got yelled at by Eryn and them for removing Furies from the Vile God instead of the Goddess. :D

For some reason I'm fully expecting a trope to occur later and we find out the Goddess wasn't quite so upright as the stories say.

I may have to take a look for some FAQs to answer a couple of questions however. I've been doing the sidequests from the pub and got most of them done. However I noticed that the ones I have left to complete, all going to areas I've already been to, are for monsters that I simply don't find in those areas. And these quests are the ones that have costume rewards etc. So I don't know if those monsters are just going to start showing up later or what. There's currently only 2 free DLC items for the game, which is why I bothered to buy it in the first place. NIS had better hope these sidequests will depend on buying future DLC to enable the monsters... <_< Right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that costume related things will simply become available later on in the game once I hit a specific point in the story.

Mord, on 27 Sept 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Started Fairy Fencer F last night.

Already got yelled at by Eryn and them for removing Furies from the Vile God instead of the Goddess. :D

For some reason I'm fully expecting a trope to occur later and we find out the Goddess wasn't quite so upright as the stories say.

I may have to take a look for some FAQs to answer a couple of questions however. I've been doing the sidequests from the pub and got most of them done. However I noticed that the ones I have left to complete, all going to areas I've already been to, are for monsters that I simply don't find in those areas. And these quests are the ones that have costume rewards etc. So I don't know if those monsters are just going to start showing up later or what. There's currently only 2 free DLC items for the game, which is why I bothered to buy it in the first place. NIS had better hope these sidequests will depend on buying future DLC to enable the monsters... <_< Right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that costume related things will simply become available later on in the game once I hit a specific point in the story.

Yeah, it's telegraphing that the Goddess ain't all she's cracked up to be pretty loudly, isn't it?

Stupid question about the monsters... Have you tried leaving the fury in the ground and going into the dungeon? There was a similar mechanic in Hyperdimension Neptunia V with flags and stuff causing different monster mixes to spawn.

I haven't gotten back to it in about a week. My pre-ordered copy of Ar Nosurge arrived and I put a couple of hours into that. But mostly I've been in more of a boardgame mood, playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2e, Space Hulk 4e, Heroscape, and Talisman.

Of Fairy Fencer F and Ar Nosurge, I'm not sure which one I'll pick back up first. I'm leaning to Fencer.

Continuing with Fairy Fencer F. Biggest gripe I have about it is the story plot tropes that keep jumping up in my face.

Most common one: You fight a boss for a couple rounds, then the battle stops and your party is going on about how outclassed they are, how powerful the enemy is, how there's no way out unless something were to happen to turn things in their favor!

... problem is, in each of those cases, the boss I was fighting was almost near death when the battle stopped and all my party was barely scratched. Yeah, I'm that l33t. It gets old after a while, and I fully expect it to keep happening as the game progresses. It's happened 2-4 times already.

And of course there's Sherman. Who in-story has been kicking butt and all that, easily slaying evil doers without even starting a battle! Then he joins my party finally and naturally he's like the weakest among them, but still in the storymode he's being all oo'ed and ah'ed about how powerful he is. ^^

Vacation time coming up, so there will be time for gamez. I'll probably try to complete another run through Dragon's Dogma although running through the story mode over and over is just blah after a while. I think I'll take on the island dungeon since I haven't actually gone in there yet.

Vacation time coming up, so there will be time for gamez. I'll probably try to complete another run through Dragon's Dogma although running through the story mode over and over is just blah after a while. I think I'll take on the island dungeon since I haven't actually gone in there yet.

Nice to hear....make sure your at least level 70 before you do. Breeze through story mode to level up (just bump up the difficulty) or just fight the Ur Dragon, both can be pretty repetitive but getting those vocation ranks up and leveling can be addicting.

Best way to increase vocation = kill lots of goblins and saurians (devils grove is a good respawn spot).

Island is crazy insane and I only beat it once. Maybe I will do it again someday but...I got 100% achievements on this game, I think I played it way too much.

• Like 1

Stupid question about the monsters... Have you tried leaving the fury in the ground and going into the dungeon? There was a similar mechanic in Hyperdimension Neptunia V with flags and stuff causing different monster mixes to spawn.

Yep. You'll need to do that to finish some of the quests. And there's a couple of quests I've had open since the beginning of the game expecting me to get items from the first few stages - Ice stone and Fire stone for instance. But thus far I've had no luck in obtaining either of them no matter how often I've run through the areas. I've hit the first stage of the game where you can end up missing things - and of course I've now missed some things as a result. So I'll check the stages again to see if those items are available now... but eh. I'll try it all again when I complete the game and go back in New Game+ mode.

For changing the monsters, you need to yank out a fury from either the goddess or the Vile god that has "Change Enemies" as a world shaping effect. Some of the monsters you're sent to hunt only show up when you do that.

I'm still waiting to find new costumes for the characters. I've yet to see a single one. I've got plenty of accessories, but not a single costume. If Compile Heart really wants me to start hating them, they'll restrict costumes to DLC. (Currently the only DLC for the game are some free item kits.)

For the Change Enemies, one thing to note is that the new monsters are generally stronger than the default monsters. It's a great way to power up even if you're not hunting for specific monster sidequests.