IGNORED

What PS3 games are you currently playing?

HammR25

• 5 weeks later...

I've started playing Tomb Raider again. Can't say that it's better than Uncharted, but being like Uncharted already makes it a lot better than most of its predecessors. Only thing I don't like is the 'detective' mode - like in the Batman games it ruins the look of the game. This must actually be the first game, where I'm voluntarily enjoying a 'stealth' approach in a lot of scenes even when guns are available - using the bow is just so much more fun :)

• Like 1

Haven't been playing anything on the PS3 since the DLC screwup on Project Diva F 2nd a few weeks back. Essentially, among a few other things that didn't directly affect me, if you bought the Swimsuit batch for the main characters for 9.99 on the Vita you only got it for the Vita despite it saying otherwise in the description, and the only way to download it was directly from the store - if you tried to download it from your download list it would tell you it wasn't available for download despite being in the list. (Nice to know they have the ability to disable downloads on there isn't it.)

A few other issues involved a couple of the last songs and modules not being free to those who purchased the appropriate clubs/seasonpasses/whatever. There's also a reverse of the swimsuit issue with the extra-character swimsuit batch that's ps3 only in the store but saying it's for both. You get the PS3 versions but not the Vitas.

Supposedly, the swimsuit issue was fixed in the EU store last time it updated on wednesday/thursday, so I'm expecting it to be fixed tomorrow. If not I guess I'll actually have to sign up for sega's forum where it's being discussed since sega's support has yet to send me a single reply to my questions despite them claiming to aim for a 24-hr response time. (It's been nearly 3 weeks.)

Only thing I don't like is the 'detective' mode - like in the Batman games it ruins the look of the game.

I hated that in Batman as much as a cool feature it was. I was always in that mode and missed a lot of the world and the graphics. Not sure if they toned it down in later Batman games.

• Like 2

A few other issues involved a couple of the last songs and modules not being free to those who purchased the appropriate clubs/seasonpasses/whatever.

Yeah, Electric Angel and Miku's P-Style CG module still showing as non-free. I just figured that for whatever reason they weren't part of the Song and Costume clubs. That's it though, other than that one oddball theme.

Aaand still not fixed. While they have yet to reply to any of my emails over the last 3 weeks, according to someone else they told the issue has "no change and no ETA for a fix."

That's fine, they no longer have an ETA to the money in my wallet, and I don't see any change in that either. :P

Still playing Battlefield 4 multiplayer whenever I can. I also play Diablo 3 but I'm starting to think that the 2nd version might have been better. I played the 2nd version on my computer way back when and felt like the challenge was very well balanced. The current version on the PS3 just seems more like a button mashing fest and feels to easy to me. I have upped the difficulty but it still seems to easy sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Duck Tales Remastered! I actually enjoy the remake. Great replay value and great graphic and music overhaul.

I really liked it, even when it was in a way limited by its source material. I still thought they managed to improve it a lot, so I'm still hoping they'll also remaster the sequel :)

For the PS3 I tried playing The Last Of Us, but it didn't work properly on my console. My console is pretty worn out so it's probably because of that. I had sent it in for repairs once already, but now I'm pretty much done with the PS3, so I'll most likely just postpone playing TLOU to the 4th Playstation generation.

Together with my daughters we've played about 80% of the story, but at some point it just got boring and now we're playing Trine on the Wii U :)

I'll keep at it. Trine was OK, I beat it but I didn't like the later levels.....very frustrating especially the final level. I never tried the second game.

• Like 1

Yeah, Electric Angel and Miku's P-Style CG module still showing as non-free. I just figured that for whatever reason they weren't part of the Song and Costume clubs. That's it though, other than that one oddball theme.

Supposedly those modules are now fixed - although just to make it complicated it seems you'll need to find the DLC in the US store by searching for it since it's currently not listing with the game or something according to the web forum.

STILL no word about the swimsuit pack DLC screwup. IE: If you didn't shell out 70 bucks for the club, but decided to spend 9.99 to get the swimsuits for the main characters (or 5.99 for the alt characters) then you were able to get them for one system or the other but not both like what's promised in in the DLC description for the pack (which is of course apparently not possible to be found anymore since they at least took it down to keep the complaints from building up as more people get suckered into it.).

And for each swimsuit pack, the problem goes in the opposite direction. If you got the main characters pack, you bought it from the Vita listings as it was only listed there. You could download them (At least at that time) direct from the store but it forbids you from redownloading from the PS3 itself in your download list. And it doesn't let you download the PS3 versions of the swimsuits - you have to cough up the extra 1.99 per character.

For the extra characters, it works in the other direction. It was only listed under the PS3 version and it would let you download the PS3 versions of their swimsuits, but not the Vita versions.

It's been over 5 weeks and STILL no resolution from Sega/Sony, and it took opening a second ticket before I even got a standard copypasta-ed reply. I hope Sega's pleased with how much DLC whoring they've done on this game, as between that, and their inability to release it correctly and inability to at least FIX it in a timely matter, I honestly don't see myself buying anything else from Sega any time soon. And those who know me are aware that I'm not one of those people that bitch loudly then line up at launch day.

• 1 month later...

Playing Lost Dimension. Not sure what I think of it.

So what do you think you might think about it? ;-)

The vids I saw made me think of Valkyria Chronicles.

I have to say it seems like the PS3 has an AMAZING amount of Japanese turn based and action RPGS/strategy games.I've got a few, but man there seem to be dozen and dozens of them.

Once I get moved out of the house I'm in, hoping to have lot of time to start checking these out.

I have to say it seems like the PS3 has an AMAZING amount of Japanese turn based and action RPGS/strategy games.I've got a few, but man there seem to be dozen and dozens of them.

Once I get moved out of the house I'm in, hoping to have lot of time to start checking these out.

While jrpgs have always been a strong point in the playstation consoles, you might want to doublecheck the PSN store prior to buying any particular game. Overall DLC has been pretty rampant in the genre with some games going anywhere from 50-150 dollars of DLC - all for things that use to be part of the base game (Easily noticable in any game franchise that was around in the PS2 generation). Granted not all of it is -needed- but often times I've seen DLC added as game balance patches - meaning they deliberately made the game harder than it really should have been (even for a jrpg), to encourage people to buy bonus stats/money/levels. There ARE some good games in there mind you, I just recommend looking through it first. Several times I've seen DLC options just to uncap your maximum possible level - in one game there were 3 level uncaps.

At the very least most jrpgs have been out for many months to years so you can expect them to be finished releasing DLC for them - they got into the habit at some point to drip dlc out slowly over 2-4 months to avoid losing sales from people like me that rather dislike the 50-150 dollar grab. A shame for them though, as it just meant they lost even more sales from me as I stopped buying games on launch and watched to see how DLC would develop. In many cases I was happy I waited.

I don't know. Either I'm going to drop playing Lost Dimension and forget about it for a long time, or it's going to become a classic with me. I honestly don't know which.

In many ways, I enjoyed Hyperdevotion Noire more. HN's battles were far more fun. Battles in Lost Dimension really only revolve around making sure everyone is in range of the same target so Assist Attacks can trigger. Lost Dimension's battle scenarios aren't so much interesting as they're just arbitrary, with difficulty in most fights coming from how the party is mandatorily split up. Combat isn't bad, but it is kinda dull.

A huge chunk of Lost Dimension revolves around finding the traitor. Every few battles (each floor) you have to go into a room and vote someone out of the game Survivor style. Every floor there are three potential traitors. You have to identify these three and then pick the real traitor from among them. This plays out like the board game Mastermind.

Of course, all the other characters vote too, and they may vote to remove you from the game. So you have to maintain relationships, as well as make sure others like the non-traitors and dislike the traitor enough to vote for the right person at the end of the floor. The result is that I find myself constantly doing relationship grinding to lower or increase characters preference for one another.

The characters are just as two dimensional in their personalities as their character portraits. Mana is my favorite because she's obsessed with cuteness, speaks in a fake British accent, and is "off" in an entertaining way to me. Whiny bitch Marco irritated the holy shit out of me and I was so happy when he turned out to be a traitor and I could have him killed. George Jackman also made me hate him, but fortunately on the first playthrough it's pre-scripted for him to be the first traitor and be erased. Nearly all the other characters are just bland, uninteresting, and borderline irritating. It's pointless to bother listening to what they say, as none of it has anything to do with whether they're a traitor or not.

The characters all have different abilities, but only a couple of them add anything special to the course of battle. Zenji and his Mimic/Link abilities is probably the most innovative character, but the battles are so basic and his abilities require so much work that it's not really worth the effort to learn to use him effectively. Agito is a personal favorite, because his special ability is teleporting with the exact same effect as Nightcrawler from the X-Men. Not only that but he has a fantastic evade, decent defense, does ludicrous amounts of damage, and he's stupidly easy to get good relationship levels with everyone thus improving Assist Attacks. He is just basic brute force brokenly awesome. If I keep playing it's going to suck if he goes traitor.

Anyway, the problem is that most of the game feels like it's only there to service the Mastermind/Find the Traitor mini game. It makes everything feel like busywork. I've often found myself completely disinterested in playing battles, and only doing so because I could make some progress on identifying the traitor.

The story seems OK or at least servicable so far. One of the main problems is that all the other characters talk, and it's one of those games where the writers feel that every conversation exchange has to involve all the characters. The biggest problem is that all the other characters are utterly irrelevant. Since the traitors are random and any and all of the other characters can be eliminated from the game, they can't really be integral to the main story. The result is there is this semi-interesting plot going on between the main character and the villain, and then there's this noise of all of the other characters babbling about nothing important at all.

Some things are nice. For instance, you can look at an upcoming battlefield and enemy list before choosing a party and committing to that battle. That may not sound like much, but I just got done with Hyperdevotion Noire, and it didn't offer that basic perk. Another nice game feature which proves the designers intended people to play and enjoy this thing is when you Erase someone in the voting chamber, they turn into a piece of equipment which can be used to access their special abilities. Also, when someone gets Erased, you get all their equipment instead of it being Erased with them.

Something I don't like is that some missions are level adjusted based on the lead character's level. I guess I should be happy that all battles aren't like this, but I really dislike it when tactical RPGs do this. If I have to grind I want to see a battle benefit for it, not be stymied by level adjusted encounters.

I guess that's more than enough of a rant. I actually really want to like this game, but I feel so mixed on it right now.

• Like 1

Lost Dimension is on my wishlist...some of these games may disappear so I'm contemplating picking this up soon. It sounds pretty cool if I could get it for a bit cheaper. There's a bunch of stuff coming out on PS3 the next few months so I have to pick and choose.

Beat Sly 1 last week, now playing:

Sly Cooper 2

Mega Man (PS1 Japanese import)