IGNORED

ahhh broken 400 system

chromizone

(breaking into fake german)

Haben sie ein borken 400?

Sorry, I could not resist. Probably borken does mean something in german. The first thing is to check the power supply. Try another PS if possible. 400.800.810.1050 all use the same one I think.

hmm Wer hat das 400 geborken? Okay I'll stop now. :)

i just got today a 400 system and when i turn it on i get a black screen and even when i have a game in i only get a black screen i mean the system comes on and then from there it seems dead any ideas????????

All of the IC's in the 400 and its boards are socketed. It would be a good idea to open the unit and using a small flat head screwdriver, careful pry up the IC's and push them back in with you finger. Doing this helps to reseat them and give the legs of the chips a cleaner contact with the socket contacts. Also the OS, memory and CPU cards, use a pencil eraser on the cards edge connectors and clean them down, use some alcohol (no... wine coolers or whiskey is not what I meant) to wipe down the contacts afterwards.

Undo the power board from the main board and reattach so its connections also get fresh contacts, then try it again. First without ANY carts.... See if MEMO PAD comes up. Its a built into Text program. If it passes that test, then try a cart. If you are again black screening, try inserting and removing the cart a few times to give both the cartridge port and the cartridge fresh contacts.... if the cart still isn't working, try a different one.

See how this works for you, lets us know here on the forum if it helped and you got it back and running again. Best of luck.

Curt

ok first off it no longer says bork so quit maiking fun of me 2 second spelling 2nd off i under stand what your saying about reseting the connections ect but im not sure witch part is witch when u refer to them by title (SO...) if u have a couple of minutes on your hands do u think u could post/send me pictures of what u mean so i can see witch part u r refering to???

ok first off it no longer says bork .

Now you have ruined the thread for future generations. Readers will not undestand the cutting edge satire :roll: by Jess and myself :)

Basically remove every chip that is socketed, clean with isopropyl alchohol and put it back in. IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS, BE CAREFUL! Don't bend the pins, Do them one at a time so they don't get mixed up, Note which direction they go and out. Actually you should be able to tell by a notch which end is which. As far as the power board, the plug, IIRC, on a 400 is on the right side. Thats the power board which , I think, it is clearly labeled when you open the computer. It is connected to the main board via an edge connector, remove and clean.

I still think a bad PS is the most likely case.

il try my power supply but it wasent coming on that was the problem last time i told u that its that nothing but a black screen comes on (but then again i am no expert so im probably wrong) and as for your oher diredtions i think im gonna need a step by step picture walk through cause i dont have a clue what your talking abou (as basic as it might seem to u) if u dont have the time for the picture thing then il ry doing it wih the info i have but im jus afraid il damage my system more then it already is o well im off to go try my power supply

I don't know if the 600xl has socketed chips, never opened one up. But, yes, you would follow the procedure of cleaning and reseating the socketed chips.

Chromizome, I dont think anyone is going to take pictures of these steps. If you don't feel comfortable attempting it, get someone to help. Anyone in the Toronto area available?