IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 26: Joust

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

How on earth did you fall into this bizarre world? Look around you -- the sky is filled with knights astride enormous armored buzzards. These characters look mean, and the buzzards they ride don't look very friendly either.

s_Joust_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Joust
  • Released By: Atari, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Skilled (no teddy bear)
  • Chosen By: Mister VCS

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday March 4th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 223,800 (Mister VCS) [+11]
  2. 193,700 (mcge0053) [+10]
  3. 133,300 (aftermac) [+9]
  4. 124,550 (toymailman) [+8]
  5. 119,000 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 118,750 (Impaler_26) [+6]
  7. 111,000 (Kurt_Woloch) [+5]
  8. 109,000 (doctorclu) [+4]
  9. 102,250 (darthkur) [+3]
  10. 54,600 (joeypsp) [+2]
  11. 53,600 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  12. 42,100 (IHATETHEBEARS) [+1]
  13. 36,800 (theKLT) [+1]

Best Tips
  • None yet

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 112,750 (Marc Cohen)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [252]
  2. Deteacher [237]
  3. darthkur [174]
  4. aftermac [169]
  5. DarthCalvin [117]
  6. Kurt_Woloch [116]
  7. Impaler_26 [106]
  8. jjd [87]
  9. Mister VCS [68]
  10. shadow460 [56]
  11. Hornpipe2 [55]
  12. SpiceWare [52]
  13. the 5th ghost [47]
  14. LarcenTyler [44]
  15. Nathan Strum [33]
  16. Jess Ragan [26]
  17. homerwannabee [22]
  18. Zoyx [22]
  19. Jred [20]
  20. Spector [20]
  21. Omegamatrix [19]
  22. ClassicGMR [18]
  23. MrBeefy [14]
  24. iangamer [14]
  25. Shannon [12]
  26. LoneWolfSeth [12]
  27. midnight magicman [11]
  28. ed1475 [10]
  29. Random Terrain [10]
  30. IHATETHEBEARS [9]
  31. maf [9]
  32. vdub_bobby [9]
  33. DtY [8]
  34. godzillajoe [8]
  35. missioncontrol [8]
  36. SeaGtGruff [8]
  37. chuckwalla [7]
  38. LS_Dracon [7]
  39. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  40. lucifershalo [5]
  41. phaxda [5]
  42. doctorclu [4]
  43. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  44. rheffera [2]
  45. ratfink [2]
  46. Lendorien [1]
  47. roadrunner [1]
  48. theKLT [1]
  49. Yar76 [1]
  50. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Joust
  • Unseat a Bounder - 500 points
  • Unseat a Hunter - 750 points
  • Unseat a Shadow Lord - 1500 points
  • Collecting Eggs - 250, 500, 750, and 1000 points for ever egg after the third
  • Lose a life - 50 points
  • Survive a Survival Wave - 3000 points
  • Destroying a Pterodactyl - 1000 points

Hints and Tips
  • Play the EASY version first to learn how to control your bird. Try keeping your flight steady and even, rather than bouncing off ledges.
  • Learn the flight patterns of the Buzzard Riders. Try to predict when an area should be avoided, or where to expect the next Rider.
  • Clear the screen of opponents as soon as you can. If too much time passes, the pterodactyl will appear.
  • Collect eggs quickly. If you wait too long, they'll hatch into new Buzzard Riders.
  • Stay away from the sides of the jousting arena since a Buzzard Rider or pterodactyl could appear unexpectedly.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

--Zero

joustscore.png

EDIT: 54,600 is now my new highscore

43,600 is my top score, so far. But I'm trying my hardest to break 100,000, i cant believe i never played the Atari version before, its actually a very faithful adaptation of the arcade joust, but expect me to edit this post later as i intend on coming in the top three ;) good luck everyone! :D

P.S if you wouldn't mind me asking, the manual states you can earn points for hitting the pterodactyls beak, but i just cant seem to do it, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong :?

Edited by joeypsp

joustscore.png

43,600 is my top score, so far. But im trying my hardest to break 100,000, i cant believe i never played the atari version before, its actually a very faithful adaptation of the arcade joust, but expect me to edit this post later as i intend on coming in the top three ;) good luck everyone! :D

Heh, last time we played Joust I had like 230,000 points and finished 8th! ;) So far, I think participation is down because we just played it last season.

The only real "issues" with the 2600 version are the lack of the arm that pulls you into the lava, and its concept of gravity when it comes to the eggs. Other than that, it's a really good port!

Welcome to the HSC and AA, BTW! :)

P.S if you wouldn't mind me asking, the manual states you can earn points for hitting the pterodactyls beak, but i just cant seem to do it, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong :?

It's pretty difficult. I think I did it once by accident. IMO you're better off avoiding them.

thanks for your response, ill definently be avoiding them then, they are impossible, i tried relentlessly for a good ten minutes and about 3 games worth trying to take one down and i just cant do it :x

It's pretty difficult. I think I did it once by accident. IMO you're better off avoiding them.

Today was my first time playing it. The very first time I tried to kill it, I was successful. In several times since, I failed. I agree. It's best to simply avoid them. The fact that I got him that one time must have been a fluke.

I can't kill the pterodactyl either, although I was able to do it all the time on my old 800XL as a kid. Anybody ever get through an egg wave without any hatching?

post-22735-1235893291_thumb.jpg

i have but i dont think you can earn as many points as letting them hatch, then catching the next egg, unless someone can say otherwise... i wasent paying much attention to how many points you get so i could be dead wrong.

i always let them hatch then hit them then let those ones hatch, and take on those blue jouster's because i believe you get more points for killing them, plus you get the eggs from them as a bonus :cool: