IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 2 *Keystone Kapers*

darthkur

b_KeystoneKapers_front.jpg

s_KeystoneKapers_2.png

Grab you billy club Keystone Kelly because Harry Hooligan has broken out of Sing-Sing and is already up to his old dirty tricks. Official reports have it that Harry is running amok in Downtown's finest department store, Southwick's Emporium. He's cleaver and crafty so don't let your guard down for a second. Harry's not content with just nabbing as much loot as he can get his grubby hands on, he loves to set traps for fine upstanding law officers such as yourself. He's on the rampage so don't dillydally for time is running out.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings:Level 1. (default)

Contest ends on: 3-16-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: darthkur - 394,300 +11

2nd: Cafeman - 301,800 +10

3rd: Shannon - 91,300 +9

4th: bohoki - 78,800 +8

5th: ckirkman - 66,900 +7

6th: DensB68 - 54,100 +6

7th: roadrunner - 48,400 +5

8th: RangerG - 43,500 +4

9th: Scihorror - 41,000 +3

10th: LarcenTyler - 38,000 +2

11th: doctorclu - 19,800 +1

12th: MIKE5200 - 10,900 +1

Current Standings:

1st: doctorclu (11) (1)

2nd: Cafeman (10)

3rd: darthkur (9)

4th: roadrunner (8)

5th: thursday83 (7)

6th: Scihorror (6)

7th: Mingy Jongo (5)

8th: bohoki (4)

9th: RangerG (3)

10th: BydoEmpire (2)

11th: LarcenTyler (1)

13th: MIKE5200 (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Keystone Kapers Manual

Edited by darthkur

Oh, and I also noticed that Atari800Win doesn't work well with Pole Position... :(

For Pole Position you have to press key 7 for high gear and key 1 for low gear.

The car will never go straight again once you turn it.

I have to assume it plays alot better on the actual hardware with the trackball controller.

Oh, and I also noticed that Atari800Win doesn't work well with Pole Position... :(

I have to assume it plays alot better on the actual hardware with the trackball controller.

I've never tried it with the trackball but I think it plays perfectly with the stock controller.

I know about 7 and 1, but no straightening the car? That pretty much makes it impossible to play properly. And yeah, I've played using a stock controller.

The planes are the only instant-kill items, right? Everything else takes varying amount of time away. Sometimes I just run into the red balls on floor 1 so I can make the elevator in time. Try it - you can do it 1 time each level and (if you catch the elevator up to level 2 and don't hit too much else) you can still reach the crook in time.

this game is evil i cant believe anybody can get past level 10

key2.png

the red ball is the worst enemy of all 5200 games(well the ant on pitfall 2 is close)

the biggest rip off is that it is impossible to get the bag of money off the roof without running out of time

ps when i took this snap i still had lives left and really got a higher but was saving it till the end but its less than the 1st and 2nd

Edited by bohoki

I feel like I wasted so much time on level 8. It took me a while to realize I could run under the high-bouncing balls rather than try to duck under them...

It's easiest when you first see them appear on the board, you just keep running and you'll clear under the first one perfectly.. The second one takes so really good timing though. At least for me. This is only when they are bouncing high of coarse.

I don't have a manual for this one - now I know the planes are deadly.

There's a link for the manual at the bottom of the initial post. It's quite interesting too since it's set up like an old time newspaper.

The planes are the only instant-kill items, right? Everything else takes varying amount of time away. Sometimes I just run into the red balls on floor 1 so I can make the elevator in time. Try it - you can do it 1 time each level and (if you catch the elevator up to level 2 and don't hit too much else) you can still reach the crook in time.

Yes, the planes are the only obstacle that will kill you outright. I sometime make that sacrifice with the balls as well. It seems like sometimes take more time to avoid them as the time you would get penalized for hitting one.

...the biggest rip off is that it is impossible to get the bag of money off the roof without running out of time

I've never really thought of that. Now that you mention it I'm not certain that I've ever got the bag on the roof.

...the biggest rip off is that it is impossible to get the bag of money off the roof without running out of time

I've never really thought of that. Now that you mention it I'm not certain that I've ever got the bag on the roof.

I've always wondered why it is there since time runs out before you'd ever actually chase the crook to that screen on the top floor. Perhaps a secret if you get it? Or a secret unlocked if you get all the prizes? (is that even possible within the time limit)? You'd have to sacrifice a life to even make it to that last money bag -- since you'd have to beat the crook to the top floor and keep running. I'm sure its possible to reach it, especially in earlier levels and if you use the elevator to get ahead.

I don't think i'll be able to get past level 11. The shopping carts really slowed down, and there's 2 of them. I'm not timing my jumps right.

Those bouncing red things are called balls? I didn't know that.

the robber set up all kinds of boobytraps somehow(using the same physics that allows him to level jump)

balls are rough

i find i can get the money bag if i just forget the robber and head to the roof but the robber clears the area of obstackes and treasure when he is there and travels so slow that even if you were able to let the robber get a couple screens agead of you you run out of time to get both the robber and bag of roof loot /9which is worth 1000

so if you are on the last level you can handle and have extra lives just get to the roof and run out of time a few times for some more points

cause this is the high score club not the highest level club

but i'm done i cant beat 50k on my best day

Café-tip on how to successfully jump the 2 shopping carts:

Strategy#1 -- Stand still and jump over the first, then you when you land you can press towards the next one and do a running jump over it.

#2 -- Or, do a running jump over the first and do a standing jump for the 2nd. (this is harder than #1)

There isn't enough space to successfully do running jumps over both -- you'll always hit the 2nd one.

More tips for a higher score.

First, on starting your game, if the elevator is not at the top floor when you start, wait until it IS at the top floor and press START to begin a new game again - the elevator position won't change. Then you can easily get to the elevator in time to catch it up to the 2nd floor. Go to the right , up the escalator to 3rd floor, and catch the krook. When you start the next level, the elevator should be back at the top, or heading down at the 2nd floor - repeat the cycle as long as you can.

You can only have 3 lives, so if you are nearing a 10k boundary (where you'll get a new life) and you have 3 lives and your timing with the elevator is off, sacrifice a life when the elevator is a the top to begin the above-mentioned cycle again. Feel free to ram into the first bouncing balls you encounter if you have to in order to catch the 1st floor elevator -- unless you hit other things, hitting these balls only deducts 4 or 5 seconds and is a far better solution than missing the elevator once things get hairy!

More tips for a higher score.

First, on starting your game, if the elevator is not at the top floor when you start, wait until it IS at the top floor and press START to begin a new game again - the elevator position won't change. Then you can easily get to the elevator in time to catch it up to the 2nd floor. Go to the right , up the escalator to 3rd floor, and catch the krook. When you start the next level, the elevator should be back at the top, or heading down at the 2nd floor - repeat the cycle as long as you can.

You can only have 3 lives, so if you are nearing a 10k boundary (where you'll get a new life) and you have 3 lives and your timing with the elevator is off, sacrifice a life when the elevator is a the top to begin the above-mentioned cycle again. Feel free to ram into the first bouncing balls you encounter if you have to in order to catch the 1st floor elevator -- unless you hit other things, hitting these balls only deducts 4 or 5 seconds and is a far better solution than missing the elevator once things get hairy!

yep if you are about to get another life head to the roof and waste that life on getting the 1000 point swag bag

darthkur - what kind of TV is that running on? Colors look great!

It's an 27" Sharp. I have no idea what model it is. It's probably around 10 years old or so. Didn't cost a cent so I can't complain about the price. It sure beats the fuzzy pictured screen of the over 20 year old set that's currently risiding out on my front porch, awaiting it's trip to the goodwill shop.

post-10357-1236291299_thumb.jpg