IGNORED

Season 2 5200 HSC Round 2 *Keystone Kapers*

darthkur

darthkur

The new high score for RangerG is 31,700

Thanks for the "heads up".

Thanks roadrunner!

Should I add a new post or edit my old post when I get a higher score? Which is easier for the scorekeeper?

Adding a new post with a higher score is actually easier since I tend to click on the arrow that takes me to the newest post since the last time I was on.

My 5200 screen went all garbled on me and I was still playing. I have never had the happen. I'll clean the cart because the machine and the game start up fine. I was on my last man and running out of time, so no big loss.

Help needed: How do you get through 3 of the radios in a row around round 7? Do you jump fast or slow?

Help needed: How do you get through 3 of the radios in a row around round 7? Do you jump fast or slow?

Same strategy as 2 in a row, I believe - jump the first one, then backup a few pixels and do a standing leap of the 2nd, repeat for the 3rd. There isn't enough space to keep running and jumping.

Are you running into these three-in-a-row mostly on the very top floor? I can't recall seeing the three-in-a-row the entire time I played my last game -- either i was missing them via the elevator, or I was catching the krook before he got to the top floor.

Cafeman -- you were probably getting the elevator because I remember them before the top floor. But - I'm just trying to survive at those stages, so my memory may be wrong :). Your score is incredible - you are consistently good at 5200 games. In Keystone, should you never take an elevator and end up ahead of the thief (as he'll turn around and go down a level)? Also, once he is a level below you, you have basically lost - right. I have never been able to race back to the elevator and go down (and the escalators only go one way).

I have successfully taken the elevator to the 3rd floor, ahead of a slower moving thief, and then I ran right and caught him before he hit the escalator back down - you have to get familiar with the game to determine if you'll make it. If he is over half way between the escalator and elevator, you'll prolly catch him.

But I never take the elevator to the 3rd floor. My strategy is outlined in an above post. I make sure the elevator is heading down from 3rd to 2nd floor at the beginning of each round. Sometimes I sacrifice a life (near a 10K boundary) to make sure the next start will be able to benefit from this elevator timing.

Manipulation of the elevator is the key to getting a good score. It's worth sacrificing a life because sometimes, when the elevator is causing you to wait really long or travel the long path, even if you do catch the thief, there is little bonus time left. So if a particular level is really going bad, I wait until the elevator is ready to travel down from 3rd to 2nd, then kill myself. Then I start on a new life, and carefully get to the elevator w/out hitting anything, take it to 2nd, carefully but skillfully run right to the escalator, ascend and catch the thief 1 or 2 screens over usually. I've had 35+ seconds left at times , and that is a HUGE bonus score for that level. Even if you only get 20-25 seconds, its still better than if you hadn't sacrificed a life in the prior stage and caught him with only 3 secs left.

Of course, to be able to sacrifice a life, you have to get good enough to keep your lives stocked up. :)

anyway, on the score I recorded above, I caught the thief on the 3rd floor almost every time, and didn't have to go to the roof except maybe 1 or 2 times. Other than the elevator manipulation strategy, you have to learn to recognize the patterns -- when the plane is going to be there, or the fast carts, and also of course learn to duck & run for planes, or how to jump over the fast single and double carts.

Edited by Cafeman

Hi all, I would like to join in, my high score is 54,100 , level 13. I've had this game a long time and never really played it, It's very addicting. How do you add a picture? BTW Awesome score Cafeman. :)

Welcome! It is a very fun game. The 2600 and CV ports are good as well. Adding a picture depends upon how you are playing. If you're using an actual 5200 the easiest route would be to take a screenshot with your digital camera. Transfer it to your PC then add it as an attachment to your post. If utilizing an emulator you would need to save a screenshot through that particular emulators software, possibly have to convert the file to a gif or jpeg, then upload it as you would any other picture using the attachment option when you make a post. I mentioned converting the file type because a lot of emulators seem to output screenshots as bitmap files. While you can directly upload those it will only show up as a link that needs to be clicked on to view. Either way works though. I hope that helped more than it confused. :D

i was saving this for the end since i had lives left when i took the first snap

keys2.png

how to add a pic

make a photobucket account upload pic copy the image code ink paste it here

my secret get that freaking money bag on the roof every other level cause you get a new life every 10k so why let it go to waste when you can make it worth 1k

anybody that can make it to level 16 is a god

many of you know i have my own joystick i built so that is kind of an unfair advantage but i can only get 40k on my real 5200

i get better on the emu with my gravis gamepad

Edited by bohoki

Levels 9 and 10 are hard. Those 2 red bouncing things are a real pain. The mines are closer together. And those shopping carts are fast.

They're radios...

Don't think I can get farther than that the planes and carts are moving way too fast!!

post-3211-1237157440_thumb.png

Hi all, I would like to join in, my high score is 54,100 , level 13. I've had this game a long time and never really played it, It's very addicting. How do you add a picture? BTW Awesome score Cafeman. :)

Welcome! It is a very fun game. The 2600 and CV ports are good as well. Adding a picture depends upon how you are playing. If you're using an actual 5200 the easiest route would be to take a screenshot with your digital camera. Transfer it to your PC then add it as an attachment to your post. If utilizing an emulator you would need to save a screenshot through that particular emulators software, possibly have to convert the file to a gif or jpeg, then upload it as you would any other picture using the attachment option when you make a post. I mentioned converting the file type because a lot of emulators seem to output screenshots as bitmap files. While you can directly upload those it will only show up as a link that needs to be clicked on to view. Either way works though. I hope that helped more than it confused. :D

Hi, Thanks for the help and reply, I still can't figure out how to add an attachment or pic from photobucket. Congradulations on the great score. :)