IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 27: Man Goes Down

Ze_ro

Man Goes Down – no it’s not rude, just an accurate description of the gameplay. You see, you control this little guy, negotiating platforms that continuously scroll up the screen. Get pushed off the top or fall off the bottom and it’s game over. There’s fruit and other goodies to collect along the way to help you on your journey down. There are 12 different items to collect in all!

Note: This game is not yet finished, but the current version can be downloaded here.

mgd_scr1.gif

Game Information
  • Game Name: Man Goes Down
  • Released By: Alex Herbert, Still In Development
  • Left Difficulty: N/A?
  • Right Difficulty: N/A?
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Nathan Strum

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday March 11th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 1415 (Nathan Strum) [+11][+2]
  2. 1050 (darthkur) [+10][+2]
  3. 1049 (aftermac) [+9][+2]
  4. 973 (mcge0053) [+8]
  5. 833 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 701 (IHATETHEBEARS) [+6]
  7. 668 (toymailman) [+5]
  8. 332 (Impaler_26) [+4]
  9. 304 (theKLT) [+3]
  10. 292 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 243 (TimsterAA) [+1]
    243 (holgibo) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Nathan Strum [+2]

Challenges
  • 1K - Score 1000 points or higher, and get 2 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. No scores for this game.
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [260]
  2. Deteacher [244]
  3. aftermac [178]
  4. darthkur [177]
  5. Kurt_Woloch [121]
  6. DarthCalvin [117]
  7. Impaler_26 [112]
  8. jjd [87]
  9. Mister VCS [79]
  10. shadow460 [56]
  11. Hornpipe2 [55]
  12. SpiceWare [52]
  13. the 5th ghost [47]
  14. LarcenTyler [45]
  15. Nathan Strum [33]
  16. Jess Ragan [26]
  17. homerwannabee [22]
  18. Zoyx [22]
  19. Jred [20]
  20. Spector [20]
  21. Omegamatrix [19]
  22. ClassicGMR [18]
  23. MrBeefy [14]
  24. iangamer [14]
  25. Shannon [12]
  26. LoneWolfSeth [12]
  27. midnight magicman [11]
  28. IHATETHEBEARS [10]
  29. mcge0053 [10]
  30. ed1475 [10]
  31. Random Terrain [10]
  32. maf [9]
  33. vdub_bobby [9]
  34. doctorclu [8]
  35. DtY [8]
  36. godzillajoe [8]
  37. missioncontrol [8]
  38. SeaGtGruff [8]
  39. chuckwalla [7]
  40. LS_Dracon [7]
  41. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  42. lucifershalo [5]
  43. phaxda [5]
  44. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  45. joeypsp [2]
  46. theKLT [2]
  47. rheffera [2]
  48. ratfink [2]
  49. Lendorien [1]
  50. roadrunner [1]
  51. Yar76 [1]
  52. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Man Goes Down
  • You get one point for each platform you fall past.
  • For each fruit that you currently have in your inventory, you get one additional point for falling past a platform.
  • If you miss a fruit, you lose all the fruits you had collected, and must collect them all over again.
  • Once you have four fruits in your inventory, prizes will start to appear.

Hints and Tips
  • You don't need the skateboard, but it's the best overall powerup to get you through the game. Especially the area that only has two small gaps in the floors.
  • Avoid the down arrows - they increase your rate of fall.
  • Stay near the center of the screen. This gives you the best chance of jumping to a platform on either side.
  • Using mushrooms can significantly increase your score. Just delay picking up a mango until you have to.
  • The game doesn't have to end suddenly - if you have the right power-up. A heli-pack or bubble can keep you afloat for awhile longer.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. The manual is a work in progress, see Nathan Strums post farther down to read it.
Nathan Strum

--Zero

Can I assume that the Twin Galaxies record for this game is a mistake? I don't believe they have the game in their database. As for that score, I think it's impossible. I've played the game until it glitches out and ends. My top scores in doing so were in the high 700's - 792 I think. I don't think 112,000+ is possible.

Can I assume that the Twin Galaxies record for this game is a mistake? I don't believe they have the game in their database. As for that score, I think it's impossible. I've played the game until it glitches out and ends. My top scores in doing so were in the high 700's - 792 I think. I don't think 112,000+ is possible.

It's the TG entry of Joust, Ze_ro probably forgot to delete it.

I almost missed that this was the game for this week. I missed the last one I picked, so I hope I can get a score in for this one.

Here's the text from the WIP manual (as posted in the other thread):

Setting Up

Plug a joystick into the Left controller socket. If you have an AtariVox or I2C Memory Card, plug it into the Right controller socket. Whack the cartridge in the socket and power-on!

From the title screen, press Select to choose the TV mode. Each press cycles NTSC - PAL60 - PAL (50Hz). (Selected TV mode is stored in the AtariVox/Memory Card.)

Press Fire to start the game.

Pressing Reset whilst holding the joystick Down resets the high-scores. (The high-score table is only available when an AtariVox or I2C Memory Card is connected.)

Note: Always turn the console power off when inserting or removing an Atari-compatible game program cartridge. This will protect the life of your Atari 2600™ Video Computer Game System.

AtariVox and I2C Memory Cards are sold separately.

Playing The Game

Use joystick Left/Right to negotiate the platforms but don’t get pushed off the top or fall off the bottom of the screen or else it’s Game Over.

Scoring

You start off scoring 1 point for each platform you pass. Collect fruit in sequence to multiply the score.

Cherry: 2x

Strawberry: 3x

Pineapple: 4x

Mango: 5x

Collect a Mango and a goodie will appear next. If you miss a fruit or goodie then you lose the multiplier. (The multiplier is also reset after collecting goodies.)

Goodies

Skateboard - Quicker than running.

Gravity (Down Arrow) – Small increase in gravity. Up to 3 of these can be collected in a chain, which also has the benefit of extending the time you have the x5 multiplier.

Stop Sign – Momentarily slows the scrolling. Also come in threes.

Helipack – Fly your way through the platforms using the Fire button to thrust. Be careful not to crash or you’ll lose it!

Bubble – Another way to fly. This time use Up/Down to control your ascent/descent.

Magic Mushroom – Mushrooms flash red/blue. Pick one when it’s Blue and you’ll have a good trip (bonus points) but pick one when it’s Red and you’ll have a bad trip (controls reversed). Eating a Mango cures the effect.

Mystery Golden Fruit – They’re not called Mystery Golden Fruit for nothing!

Man Goes Down ©2006 Alex Herbert

Edited by Nathan Strum

Some tips:

• You don't need the skateboard, but it's the best overall powerup to get you through the game. Especially the area that only has two small gaps in the floors.
  • Avoid the down arrows - they increase your rate of fall.
  • Stay near the center of the screen. This gives you the best chance of jumping to a platform on either side.
  • Using mushrooms can significantly increase your score. Just delay picking up a mango until you have to.
  • The game doesn't have to end suddenly - if you have the right power-up. A heli-pack or bubble can keep you afloat for awhile longer.

post-2641-1236427197_thumb.png

I had a higher scoring game but it included a glitch where, while using the helicopter, the game continued on with no platforms and just the mango popping up sporadically. After a while the glitch worsened and the platforms began forming off and on randomly until one materialized in the same space as the player character and ended the game.

post-10357-1236695236_thumb.png

I had a higher scoring game but it included a glitch where, while using the helicopter, the game continued on with no platforms and just the mango popping up sporadically. After a while the glitch worsened and the platforms began forming off and on randomly until one materialized in the same space as the player character and ended the game.

That's where the game actually ends, and taking a heli-pack (or bubble) into that zone is the only way to get there. Therefore, your higher score should count. (If people object, then I'll have to re-play my game, and just fall helplessly to my doom, instead of playing all the way to the final glitch.)

That's where the game actually ends, and taking a heli-pack (or bubble) into that zone is the only way to get there. Therefore, your higher score should count. (If people object, then I'll have to re-play my game, and just fall helplessly to my doom, instead of playing all the way to the final glitch.)

This game was also played through to the "final glitch". I know I had 900+ when the screen went black, but I'm not sure of my exact score. Hopefully, this score counts, since we're at the deadline tonight. After this my next highest scoring game was 722, if 1,049 or 900+ doesn't count.

post-17553-1236728756_thumb.png

Well, if that's the case then my score would be 1,050

post-10357-1236812286_thumb.png

I didn't see that response until now, which is obviously way past to cutoff time but it is the game I was referring to from before. So, count it or not. I guess it's not a life changing difference anyways. :D