IGNORED

Started building my MAME cabinet

aftermac

I started building my MAME cabinet yesterday. So far I only have one side cut out... hopefully, I can get more done tomorrow. Since, I'm currently unemployed I have plenty of time to work on the project! I've had a lot of the supplies to build the cabinet for about a year, but never had the time. The cabinet is going to be in the shape of a Centipede cab, but with woodgrained sides (my wife's condition for it being allowed in the house :) ), black T-Molding, and black front. It's going to have a 20" Mitsubishi monitor and a multi-billion hertz computer to run it.

Here's a few pics of the day one progress... I'll post more pics along the way.

Full sheet o' plywood, and some plans:

post-17553-1236909932_thumb.jpg

Cut down to a bite-sized chunk:

post-17553-1236909950_thumb.jpg

More or less reminds me of Centipede:

post-17553-1236909958_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1236909965_thumb.jpg

Edited by aftermac

I started building my MAME cabinet yesterday. So far I only have one side cut out... hopefully, I can get more done tomorrow. Since, I'm currently unemployed I have plenty of time to work on the project! I've had a lot of the supplies to build the cabinet for about a year, but never had the time. The cabinet is going to be in the shape of a Centipede cab, but with woodgrained sides (my wife's condition for it being allowed in the house :) ), black T-Molding, and black front. It's going to have a 20" Mitsubishi monitor and a multi-billion hertz computer to run it.

Here's a few pics of the day one progress... I'll post more pics along the way.

Full sheet o' plywood, and some plans:

post-17553-1236909932_thumb.jpg

Cut down to a bite-sized chunk:

post-17553-1236909950_thumb.jpg

More or less reminds me of Centipede:

post-17553-1236909958_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1236909965_thumb.jpg

Where did you find the dimensions? Also, are going to be able to play all the old school laser disc games, ie... Thayers Quest, Mad Dog McCree (shooter), Space Ace, Dragons Lair, etc? And if so, how do you get them for download or disc or whatever?

Where did you find the dimensions? Also, are going to be able to play all the old school laser disc games, ie... Thayers Quest, Mad Dog McCree (shooter), Space Ace, Dragons Lair, etc? And if so, how do you get them for download or disc or whatever?

I actually found two different sets of measurements:

Click "Drawings" under "Cabinet" on the left side: http://www.retrospieler.de/

And here...

Click "Plans" under "Arcade Cabinet Pages" on the left side: http://www.davidkristiansen.com/arcadecab.htm

So far, I don't have any laser disc plans. I intend to use it for arcade games, 2600, 5200, 7800, O2, NES, SMS, SNES, and Genesis. I may add a few others, also.

WTG, Mac! I'm jealous because I want a MAME cab, but I have no woodworking skills. I'll have to resort to finding a busted game or empty shell to convert to MAME. I've got everything else: the computer, monitor, controllers, etc. I plan to hit the next auction in Cherry Hill, NJ for the cab...whenever that is.

Keep the pics coming! I hope you can find work soon too. :)

I actually found two different sets of measurements:

Click "Drawings" under "Cabinet" on the left side: http://www.retrospieler.de/

And here...

Click "Plans" under "Arcade Cabinet Pages" on the left side: http://www.davidkristiansen.com/arcadecab.htm

So far, I don't have any laser disc plans. I intend to use it for arcade games, 2600, 5200, 7800, O2, NES, SMS, SNES, and Genesis. I may add a few others, also.

Thank you for the info. and good luck with your MAME.

WTG, Mac! I'm jealous because I want a MAME cab, but I have no woodworking skills. I'll have to resort to finding a busted game or empty shell to convert to MAME. I've got everything else: the computer, monitor, controllers, etc. I plan to hit the next auction in Cherry Hill, NJ for the cab...whenever that is.

Thanks!

I just missed out on an empty Defender cabinet a couple weeks ago. My wife found it for free on Craig's list, about 10 miles from where we live. I was the second person to respond to the add. :(

If you lived out here we could build you one in my "wood shop" (see pic below). I don't necessarily have woodworking skills, but I took a couple shop classes 18 years ago in middle school! :D This is one of the few fun projects I've gotten to work on. The tools mostly get used for various home improvement projects.

The most significant pieces I still need to buy are, controls: which I'm gonna get the button and joystick bundle and trackball from X-gaming, and wire to a couple spare USB game pads, T-Molding, smoked plexi for the screen, and plexi for the marquee. It's probably not going to have a coin box initially, though. I'm going to install some temporary coin "buttons" instead. :)

Good luck finding a cabinet! I hope to find work soon, but at least I received my first bit of unemployment last week. Eased my mind quite a bit!

this is a cool project, aftermac! Keep us up to date! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice....pictures are always great to see the progress !!!!

Thanks, guys! And there will definitely be more pictures!

Nice work so far, just remember to keep it clean and functional. i.e. don't wind up with this. :D

Yuck! That thing is hideous!

I'm more or less aiming for what this guy did: http://www.johnandkristie.com/mame/index.html

Mine will have dark stained wood grained sides instead of artwork. I'm going to add pinball buttons to the sides, but I like his nice and clean control panel. The keyboard drawer is pretty slick too!

Thank you for the info. and good luck with your MAME.

No problem and thanks!

Now for more pictures...

Here's a significant portion of my "wood shop" (ie. garage). Pardon the mess... everything is covered in saw dust and I've never been good at putting my toys away when I'm done playing. On the far right you can see my 88,000 BTU furnace to keep me nice and toasty on 20 degree days like yesterday!

post-17553-1237033036_thumb.jpg

Here's the second side cut out:

post-17553-1237034961_thumb.jpg

The two pieces are clamped together to sand them even, and round the sharp corners:

post-17553-1237034976_thumb.jpg

Here's a (blurry) close-up of cutting the slot or the T-Molding:

post-17553-1237034999_thumb.jpg

I love it when pieces of dangerous, not to mention expensive, tools fall off when I'm using them!:

post-17553-1237035610_thumb.jpg

Edited by aftermac

More progress! :)

The right side of the cabinet with all of the wooden brackets attached:

post-17553-1237294916_thumb.jpg

Another angle... with my wife in the background scraping decades of hardened sludge and rust from my tractor... but, that's another project!:

post-17553-1237294926_thumb.jpg

Right side standing:

post-17553-1237294933_thumb.jpg

Left side complete:

post-17553-1237294942_thumb.jpg

Attaching the two sides:

post-17553-1237294951_thumb.jpg

Again:

post-17553-1237294971_thumb.jpg

It stands! Although still a bit wobbly... Some might call the monitor shelf supports overkill, but that shelf needs to hold 80 pounds of CRT. I don't want it moving. :)

post-17553-1237294984_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1237294993_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1237295001_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1237295009_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned...

going good :)

Thanks! I'm really getting anxious now that it is starting to look like an arcade cabinet! :)

The best part about this project is that 90% of the materials are just things I have laying around.

More pics...

Top and back attached... There shall be no lack of ventilation!

post-17553-1237597662_thumb.jpg

Attaching the wheels:

post-17553-1237597679_thumb.jpg

Supports to keep the monitor where I want it:

post-17553-1237597688_thumb.jpg

Yup, monitor fits!:

post-17553-1237597709_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1237597731_thumb.jpg

Ye olde biscuit joiner, clamps, cut pieces of MDF, and glue...:

post-17553-1237597740_thumb.jpg

... Makes the monitor bezel!:

post-17553-1237597792_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm getting pretty impatient... the closer it gets, the more I just want to play games! :)

My budget might not allow the cabinet to be 100% finished or a while, but I'll get it real close. T-Molding, plexi, and controls might have to wait a bit. I might be gamepadding it for a while. :) Everything I'm using in the pics was left over from other projects.

Should have more pics today or tomorrow...

Should have more pics today or tomorrow...

Hurry! :)

Good work so far! :cool:

Thanks! As promised... more pics! :)

Maybe tomorrow I'll "test" the cabinet out... :evil:

Monitor bezel in place and routed:

post-17553-1237774681_thumb.jpg

Marquee light/speaker shelf installed:

post-17553-1237774694_thumb.jpg

Door and hinges attached. I wanted it in the front for easier access:

post-17553-1237774703_thumb.jpg

Cabinet lock installed:

post-17553-1237774713_thumb.jpg

Does this little slot look like an hour of work?

post-17553-1237774743_thumb.jpg

It's getting closer!:

post-17553-1237774723_thumb.jpg

post-17553-1237774733_thumb.jpg

I gotta find out when the next one is also. You're sure to find a good deal there.

Here's a couple pics of my "testing" today... :D

Congrats on the test :) Edge bevel on the bezel woodwork is a nice touch.

On my cabinet I stripped the monitor casing and made a custom mount that replicated the one piece front pullout of the original CRT. I've seen to many cabinets with monitor shake. Not here. :D

post-5887-1237861176_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my "testing" today... :D

Congrats on the test :) Edge bevel on the bezel woodwork is a nice touch.

On my cabinet I stripped the monitor casing and made a custom mount that replicated the one piece front pullout of the original CRT. I've seen to many cabinets with monitor shake. Not here. :D

post-5887-1237861176_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I tried the bezel sans bevel at first, but it just didn't look/feel right. The bevel makes it much easier to look at. :)

That is a nice mount you made! I might have to do that eventually. The supports I put underneath the monitor actually hold it really tight. It doesn't tip or tilt... of course there is no control panel yet, so I can't test it under real playing conditions.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this won't be the last monitor I have in this cabinet. I've owned it for about 8 years and about the last 6 it's had an occasional twitch. I'd like to fix it, but I'm far from an expert on CRT's. Eventually, it is going to fail, but until then it's going to provide many hours of entertainment!