IGNORED

WTB: 5200 Joysticks

VectorGamer

You may already know this, but I thought I should mention Best Electronics sells "lifetime" upgraded 5200 joysticks for about $40. I've been very happy with mine.

What is the part number or name of this product?

Just call them and tell the guy you want their gold 5200 joysticks. I think it's the same guy that always answers their phone, most of the time anyway, he's really helpful, and there's even a clock on their website that shows when they're usually open (in their time zone), to make getting ahold of them really easy.

Yup, it's always been Brad (the owner) who answers the phone when I've called over the last twenty or so years.

They have a web page of controllers for various Atari systems. The 5200 Gold joystick is in the lower left hand corner.

Thanks for the link. Does this joystick still have the "self centering" problem or did they fix that as well. I did not see that mentioned as one of the improvements which is why I am asking.

Yup, it's always been Brad (the owner) who answers the phone when I've called over the last twenty or so years.

They have a web page of controllers for various Atari systems. The 5200 Gold joystick is in the lower left hand corner.

Thanks for the link. Does this joystick still have the "self centering" problem or did they fix that as well. I did not see that mentioned as one of the improvements which is why I am asking.

No, the joysticks still operate the same. They're just built to last.

No, the joysticks still operate the same. They're just built to last.

Well, that's technically true, but on the ones I got from Best (just a couple weeks ago), the rubber boot is much more stiff than on my other (original) sticks. Don't know if that's due to time/wear or these being different, but at any rate, my Best gold sticks more-or-less self-center. I wouldn't call them self-centering by any means, but they pretty much center. Don't know how long that will be true with use though.

And, the non-self-centering thing isn't really a "problem". It's just a matter of getting used to it. True, on some of the games like Frogger and Pac-Man, it's annoying (use the keypad for Frogger), so it's not optimal, but it's not a deal breaker. And, it's much better being non-centering (analog) for a good chunk of the games. Just get used to the design and after awhile you'll probably appreciate it the way the designers intended.

And, it's much better being non-centering (analog) for a good chunk of the games. Just get used to the design and after awhile you'll probably appreciate it the way the designers intended.

Good point!

And, it's much better being non-centering (analog) for a good chunk of the games. Just get used to the design and after awhile you'll probably appreciate it the way the designers intended.

Good point!

I read the 5200 FAQ and either I missed it or there are/were no third party sticks made that were an "all-in-one" solution (the stick and the keypad in one device). All I saw were workarounds.

Correct me I am wrong?

Good point!

I read the 5200 FAQ and either I missed it or there are/were no third party sticks made that were an "all-in-one" solution (the stick and the keypad in one device). All I saw were workarounds.

Correct me I am wrong?

I believe you're right. I can't think of any all-in-ones, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...