IGNORED

Looking for a PS3 w/backward compatiblity

mert

Arent all PS3's backwards compatible with PS1 or PS2 games?? :)

Nope. 60's were, aside from that I think some do play ps1 games (maybe). Google is your friend. Not mine though, I'm too lazy right now.

WOW! i was under the impression all were backwards compatible...that sucks! Kinda like how Microsoft abandoned its backwards compatibility efforts... :x

No, one or two of the original models had both the PS3 and PS2 hardware (emotion engine I believe) which cost a ton to manufacture, but were truly backwards compatible. Then other/later models offered backwards compatability via emulation, which didn't work for all games. Now I believe the new consoles offer no backward compatability at all. If you check out Sony's PS3 site, they have a compatability chart of all of the PS3 consoles made, and which ones can play what.

Definitely follow-up on doubledown's advice if this is something that might concern you. I had a friend bring by a copy of Rebel Assault II (PSX) that he picked up for next to nothing. It wouldn't play properly in my 60 GB PS3. Even those machines with hardware-based backwards compatibility aren't without their flaws.

Models with Hardware PS2/PS1 support (Emotion Engine) (Released in 2006):

20GB - Model: CECHBxx

60GB - Model: CECHAxx

Models with Emulation PS2/PS1 support (Released in 2007):

60GB - Model: CECHCxx

80GB - Model: CECHExx

All other models feature no backwards compatability support (Released in 2007-2009):

40GB - Models: CECHGxx, CECHHxx

80GB - Model: CECHKxx

160GB - Model: CECHPxx

And I swear I heard somewhere that the 20GB launch console has better backwards compatability than the 60GB launch console. Which is probably why on ebay you see old/used 20GB consoles sell for up to, or more than, what you could buy a brand new PS3 for.