IGNORED

Atari Rev B PAL Rom file

sup8pdct

After a bit of work, have finally got a rev B Pal rom complete with the floating point routines.

The rom file that generally comes the emulators is ntsc and has a few changes in it which i believe was to do with the translator disk for the XL.

Eg; don't write to $D301, don't check for special carts.

I am blessed with both atari original Rev A and Rev B source listings so was easy to find and fix the changes.

Also having 2 different local hacked versions of rev B was the most help :)

James

ATARIOSBpal.zip

Yes. checkout

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...00#entry1712834

That is rev A PAL, just like the 400 and 2 800's I have here, right down to the same chip part numbers.

Rev B didn't come out till early 82. Am sure atari had Computers here before then.

James

But... was there ever a Rev A PAL ROM to begin with?

I thought it was earlier than that... in fact I had the impression it was not long after GTIA.

I have the first Atari computer I ever saw in my posession now (400 given from friend)... I think they bought it in 1981 but could have been '82.

OS has been replaced with SuperMon though.

I was slightly annoyed after getting my 3rd 800, all had rev A and GTIA.

I was under the impression that we never got CTIA. Yet to see one with that chip.

James

I thought it was earlier than that... in fact I had the impression it was not long after GTIA.

I have the first Atari computer I ever saw in my posession now (400 given from friend)... I think they bought it in 1981 but could have been '82.

OS has been replaced with SuperMon though.

Anyone have a proper working version of the xl/xe rom...one's I have always show up as a bad rom when i use it thru an emulator (i.e shows up as red) in the self test memory test thing

i've tried the following ones

atarixl.rom (as originally came with pcxformer)

atarixlxe.rom

xe.rom

xe(pal).rom

xl.rom

Atari OS v2 83.10.05.rom

and atarixegs.rom

all show up as bad on the memory test thing

Edited by carmel_andrews

That one is actually a modifyed rev B ntsc.

$E6E7 has 3 NOP's which shouldn't be there.

The timings in the sio routines are set to NTSC.

Special cart routines have been bypassed.

Key repeat timings etc.

All the mods point to a translator disk version.

Sorry to say, but that file isn't named correctly.

I have been finding that a lot with the rev B. very hard to get a true and correct version.

James

Here you go

Maybe you need to remove the first 6 bytes that is a dos overhead for them to work.

James

Anyone have a proper working version of the xl/xe rom...one's I have always show up as a bad rom when i use it thru an emulator (i.e shows up as red) in the self test memory test thing

i've tried the following ones

atarixl.rom (as originally came with pcxformer)

atarixlxe.rom

xe.rom

xe(pal).rom

xl.rom

Atari OS v2 83.10.05.rom

and atarixegs.rom

all show up as bad on the memory test thing

I have been finding that a lot with the rev B. very hard to get a true and correct version.

Hi James,

Isn't it trivial to "produce" or to confirm/verify rev. B PAL OS? We have the official source listing. The difference with the NTSC version is noted in the listing with conditional assembly, and should be something like a dozen bytes. Or I am missing something ?

Your ROMs are fine, but you have the SIO patch (or other patches) turned on.

A program that uses some sort of CRC algorithm would be good. Atari-based preferable. Maybe even do it on a per 1K block basis so any differences could give an indication of what the mod might be.

Properly patched/modded ROMs would have their checksums corrected, and a modded ROM might vary from something that just defeats Attract Mode to something that includes a mini-Monitor or similar.

How many people out there would like to type in or verify every byte in the OS as being true and correct?

I also have the source listing and have found at least 1 byte that is in error compared to the source.

The routine is the same in rev A and compairing pal V ntsc shows the difference.

Also, there is a project that Warerat is doing that I have put up my hand for one.

I personally would like a true and correct rev B PAL version of the os to go with it.

James

Hi James,

Isn't it trivial to "produce" or to confirm/verify rev. B PAL OS? We have the official source listing. The difference with the NTSC version is noted in the listing with conditional assembly, and should be something like a dozen bytes. Or I am missing something ?

Stuff typing anything in... there's plenty of unmodded machines out there and people who can supply ROM images.

And since there should be no more than 4 "official" 400/800 ROMS (OS A/B, NTSC/PAL) it shouldn't be too hard to work it all out.

Pretty sure too that PAL/NTSC should have different hard-coded key repeat rates, as well as the baud-rate tables.

Edited by Rybags

How many people out there would like to type in or verify every byte in the OS as being true and correct?

I didn't mean "people" should do that.

I've been reading here that PAL rev B was very rare, considered as possibly lost or even never released. So what I meant is that it should be (almost) trivial to re-create it from the listing, even if it was never found. Of course that confirming with an actual ROM chip is very good.

I also have the source listing and have found at least 1 byte that is in error compared to the source.

What error did you find? I just compared the PAL rev B you posted with the "known" NTSC rev B. I found 11 bytes to be different. Didn't double check, but these bytes seem to be exactly the ones marked in the source.

at ebb9 and ebc0.

Hold on, I see what is happening. I missed a conditional .IF way back in the variable define area.

It means I have missed 2 bytes that should have been changed.

All fixed

James

I didn't mean "people" should do that.

I've been reading here that PAL rev B was very rare, considered as possibly lost or even never released. So what I meant is that it should be (almost) trivial to re-create it from the listing, even if it was never found. Of course that confirming with an actual ROM chip is very good.

What error did you find? I just compared the PAL rev B you posted with the "known" NTSC rev B. I found 11 bytes to be different. Didn't double check, but these bytes seem to be exactly the ones marked in the source.

ATARIOSBpal.zip

Edited by sup8pdct

If I get it right, you guys are searching for a dump of the standard PAL B ROM?

If someone posts a tool which dumps the OS from the running system then I will try to fire up my old 400 which I did not use for 10+ years hope that it still runs and see what I get from it.

Edited by DjayBee